Fueling Before And After Workouts

Options
lisakatz2
lisakatz2 Posts: 213 Member
What do you like to eat prior to and after your workouts? I just had a situation today where I basically "bonked" towards the end of my workout and ended up feeling very faint and dizzy. Luckily I was able to get myself home and ate a bunch of carbs until my head felt level. Don't want that to happen again. I had a protein shake before I worked out but I think I should have added some sort of carb source prior to my workout.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    It's pretty individual, depending on both the person and the activity. You may need to experiment?

Normally, I'm fine if I just keep up a schedule of meals/snacks that add up to reasonable nutrition and appropriate calories.

If I'm getting ready for a workout and feel a little draggy, I might have some quick carbs, like fruit, dried fruit, or even candy. Same for post-workout: I might have some carbs if I feel low, or have some protein after a challenging workout if there's no meal coming up relatively soon.

For a period of time, I took back-to-back group fitness classes, such as spin class followed by kettlebell. I did better if I had a quick snack between, even something as small as one of those no-sugar-added applesauce packets or something similar I could keep in my gym bag without spoilage. If I was highly organized, I'd put one of those little shelf-stable chocolate milks in a tiny lunchbox-sized cooler with a reusable freezer block (blue ice), and throw that in my gym bag to drink between classes.

In hot summer, I take a couple of snacks (one with more carbs, the other with more salt) on bike rides, and eat one, both, or neither depending on how I feel (during a ride of a couple hours or so). I found (by experimenting) that I needed more carbs before on-water rowing than before spin class, so varied my breakfast accordingly, generally by eating my peanut butter on an Ezekiel pita as opposed to a large cracker-like thing called a Coco Lite Pop Cake.

If you want some carbs in your protein shake, blending in a banana or some other fruit would be an option.

I'm betting you can figure this out. Getting faint or dizzy after a non-long (less than an hour) workout, especially if it's not super intense, could be some kind of blood sugar regulation as well. Eating something that will provide more level energy beforehand could be good - like complex carbs (something starchy with fiber, grain or similar) vs. quick carbs like sugars. I don't think there are "one size fits all" answers.

Best wishes!

I avoid fasted workouts, because they feel terrible to me (and I underperform) but some people say they do better when they work out fasted.
  • lisakatz2
    Options
    I agree with you about the fasted workout thing. I do terrible on it. Should have blended a banana into my protein shake, maybe even a tablespoon of PB. I'm still (mentally) getting used to the increase in calories after years and years of restrictive dieting.

I had a couple of fig bars after my workout, 20 gummy bears, and a huge apple followed by a lunch of roast chicken breast, steamed asparagus, and green salad with two tablespoons of Italian dressing I reached my calorie goal for the day, in spite of it all.

You're right, I'll figure it out. :smile: I just needed reassurance.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    lisakatz2 wrote: »
    I agree with you about the fasted workout thing. I do terrible on it. Should have blended a banana into my protein shake, maybe even a tablespoon of PB. I'm still (mentally) getting used to the increase in calories after years and years of restrictive dieting.

I had a couple of fig bars after my workout, 20 gummy bears, and a huge apple followed by a lunch of roast chicken breast, steamed asparagus, and green salad with two tablespoons of Italian dressing I reached my calorie goal for the day, in spite of it all.

You're right, I'll figure it out. :smile: I just needed reassurance.

You're doing fine. :flowerforyou;

PB = peanut butter? That has calories, but not many carbs (in the no-sugar-added type, anyway) . If PB = one of the peanut butter powders, they may be a little more carb-rich, but not much.
  • lisakatz2
    Options
    I was thinking adding PB to my shake, for satiety. I was low today on fats and have been lower on that macro on a daily basis than my proteins and carbs. Have some natural almonds in my cupboard too. :) I bought three large avocados today but they (like the rest in the store) are rock hard.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    That makes sense! :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    edited April 1
    Options
    Sounds like hypoglycemia to me. Other reasons might be poor sleep, could be you were dehydrated, you may have pushed yourself too far and of course your nutrition might not have been adequate enough.

Working out in the morning can leave a person, depending on their lifestyle and diet, and especially during a time where they're in a calorie deficit with not enough glycogen to fuel a very long and intense workout and blood sugar can tank pretty easily if your a sugar burner, which you sound like you are. If you can eat a few hours before then do that and if you workout right after you get up then jump on the sugar train for the quick energy, and oh, don't neglect protein, that is, after all the stuff that makes all that sugar and training worth it. Personally I'm on a ketogenic diet and I workout in the morning and don't seem to have that problem and don't rely on sugar for energy, I get that from fat. Also, if this is a common occurrence for you, you might want to talk with your Dr.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    Could also be a too big calorie deficit. How many calories are you eating? Is it enough to get through the day and fuel your exercise on top?
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Lunch is a big burrito. A big tortilla, 5 oz of round steak and half an avocado and some taco sauce. Gym at 230 and all good.
  • lisakatz2
    Options
    OMG that sounds so delicious! Some carb, some protein, some healthy fat.....good way to go.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    If you’re not adverse to sugar, try a sports drink. In summer I often get through lucozade sports (usually only need half a bottle) as that gives me the sugar to prevent a hypo (not diabetic but do have blood sugar issues). I also snack on a handful of jelly babies mid workout as they are easy and quick to eat but don’t fill me up. Or I eat raisins - they also work b well for me.

For context, my sessions are usually 2.5hrs long including mobility and warm ups, with heavier / technical stuff in the middle and then accessories at the end.

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I agree with you about the fasted workout thing. I do terrible on it. Should have blended a banana into my protein shake, maybe even a tablespoon of PB.
    Yes, that would be ideal. Fasted workouts or not fasted are irrelevant for weight loss, but if they impact your ability to work out well then you're worse off.

Also note the "anabolic window" is a myth.

I have some carbs and typically a coffee a couple of hours before lifting. Basically, on lifting days I adjust my coffee schedule to have one of them pre-workout.
  • lisakatz2
    Options
    If you’re not adverse to sugar, try a sports drink. In summer I often get through lucozade sports (usually only need half a bottle) as that gives me the sugar to prevent a hypo (not diabetic but do have blood sugar issues). I also snack on a handful of jelly babies mid workout as they are easy and quick to eat but don’t fill me up. Or I eat raisins - they also work b well for me.

For context, my sessions are usually 2.5hrs long including mobility and warm ups, with heavier / technical stuff in the middle and then accessories at the end.

I'm not too crazy about sports drinks but I do like dried fruit like raisins. I think it's important to be fueled but not bloated. I really like dates and dried apricots. Maybe a Lara Bar.........some flavors have minimal ingredients like just dates and nuts. I could start with 1/2 a bar, then eat the other half if I start fading.
  • lisakatz2
    Options
    I agree with you about the fasted workout thing. I do terrible on it. Should have blended a banana into my protein shake, maybe even a tablespoon of PB.
    Yes, that would be ideal. Fasted workouts or not fasted are irrelevant for weight loss, but if they impact your ability to work out well then you're worse off.

Also note the "anabolic window" is a myth.

I have some carbs and typically a coffee a couple of hours before lifting. Basically, on lifting days I adjust my coffee schedule to have one of them pre-workout.

I always thought the fasted workout thing was a myth too, as well as the anabolic window. Good to hear some confirmation.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

I'm not too crazy about sports drinks but I do like dried fruit like raisins. I think it's important to be fueled but not bloated. I really like dates and dried apricots. Maybe a Lara Bar.........some flavors have minimal ingredients like just dates and nuts. I could start with 1/2 a bar, then eat the other half if I start fading.
    Just be cautious how you start with dried fruit or fruit bars. Some people find the fibre causes bloating and gas, so start small and work your way up (even if you’re used to a high fibre diet - motion and fibre can cause, uh, motion 🤣). I stopped eating apricots when training for that very reason.
  • lisakatz2
    Options
    I've never had a problem with dried fruit, it's certain fresh fruits that I have to be cautious about (particularly cherries and peaches). However, with appropriate portion control I find I can tolerate them well too.