GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Thanks.

I decided to just stick with the routine I've been following, rather than change things up just to try for a 1RM on bench. As long as it works, don't fix what ain't broke, am I right? And it seems to still be working, as I banged out 5 sets of 3 reps at 275, where in the past at least one of those sets would be only a double.

I won't even think about trying another bench 1RM test day until I can get 5x5x275.

Absolutely correct. I’d get as much progress out of what you’re doing too. Impressive lifts too.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,562 Member
    Options
    These last few days have been really heavy emotionally (said goodbye to my kitty of 17years) and I did not want to go to the gym last night. I didn't think I'd be able to do my lifts and didn't even want to walk on the treadmill. But I went. I got on the treadmill already preparing myself for how I'd lower my squat weights when I found I'd have no oomph.

But the warm ups went ok and I got my working set. The squats in this vid are the last ones of the last set and 220x7 is roughly a 1rm of 264 (which is a fair bit higher than my actual 1rm of 245). All in all, I'm happy I went and I surprised myself, yet again.

Bench: 10x65lb, 5x95lb, 3x125lb
    Squat: 10x95lb, 5x135lb, 3x165lb, 3x185lb, 6,6,7x220lb
    OHP: 5,5,5,5,4x70lb
    Wide grip pull down: 9,8,7x120lb
    Seated Back row: 3x12x105lb
    Face pull: 10x52.5lb, 12x42.5lb, 10x52.5lb
    Tricep pushdown: 3x10x52.5lb
    Tricep extension: 3x15x22.5lb

tjs87evqbvff.gif
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Curious...regarding Face pulls

These seem to be one of those exercises where I don't really feel muscle fatigue or a burn while doing them... I just get to a point where I can't get the full ROM anymore.

Does anyone have other exercises they do instead of face pulls? I know they are often recommended to offset bench and help with rotator cuff issues, but am wondering if a different exercise might be more efficient.

I do incorporate band pulls (T-W-L-Y) and those seem to make the tiny muscles around my shoulders / traps wake up.

Just curious what the hive mind has to say. 😊

• kinetixtrainer2
    edited April 2
    Options

These seem to be one of those exercises where I don't really feel muscle fatigue or a burn while doing them... I just get to a point where I can't get the full ROM anymore.

Does anyone have other exercises they do instead of face pulls? I know they are often recommended to offset bench and help with rotator cuff issues, but am wondering if a different exercise might be more efficient.

I do incorporate band pulls (T-W-L-Y) and those seem to make the tiny muscles around my shoulders / traps wake up.

I call them X’s but rear cable flies are effective for me. I do a single arm version as well that I really like.

This current routine I’m doing my face pulls seated on the floor with my feet pressed against the machine so I can use a heavier weight.

https://youtu.be/JENKmsEZQO8?si=oqHL4x8Zbv5ixcL-
  • KickassAmazon76
    edited April 2
    Options

I call them X’s but rear cable flies are effective for me. I do a single arm version as well that I really like.

This current routine I’m doing my face pulls seated on the floor with my feet pressed against the machine so I can use a heavier weight.

https://youtu.be/JENKmsEZQO8?si=oqHL4x8Zbv5ixcL-

thank you for this video! I have been apprehensive of trying equipment differently, so this helps!
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,366 Member
    Options
    See, it's videos like yours which are plenty reason to convince me to not try to sneak in a video of my own pitiful efforts, lol. I don't think I'd like the comparison, lol.

Dude, if you post your lift video's, we would be in awe, and nothing i do would even come close to your numbers.
    That's why i stopped comparing myself with others, i do me, and you do you.
    I know i am stronger than i used to be, that's my comparison. The me from a few years ago
    Options

Well, if you can't get the full ROM anymore, that means it's muscle fatique, otherwise you would be able to go endlessly.

I always do them till faillure for 3 sets at a certrain weight. And once i hit first set for 10 reps or more, i upp the weight for next week
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    See, it's videos like yours which are plenty reason to convince me to not try to sneak in a video of my own pitiful efforts, lol. I don't think I'd like the comparison, lol.

Dude, if you post your lift video's, we would be in awe, and nothing i do would even come close to your numbers.
    That's why i stopped comparing myself with others, i do me, and you do you.
    I know i am stronger than i used to be, that's my comparison. The me from a few years ago

Well said Gus
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,081 Member
    Options
    Think my primary care for vids is my limited range of motion on my bench, as issues with my shoulders prevent me from pulling my arms behind me, consequently my bench only goes down to the point where my upper arms are parallel with the floor and the bar is several inches above my chest. Most guys I know, and probably the entire internet, will say that doesn't qualify as a real rep. At the gym I'm able to ignore it, and just do me. But when I see videos of guys lifting heavier than me, for a full range of motion, the thought of posting a video of "less quality" is intimidating.
    Options
    @nossmf I get what you are saying, i feel the same with my squats, but i know i can't physically get any deeper than i do right now because of my hip mobility. I mean, with or without weight, the depth stay's the same (actually with weight a little deeper because it pushes me down)

Same goes for you with your shoulder. You do the best what is possible within your own limits, and parallel definaly qualifies as a rep mate
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    Think my primary care for vids is my limited range of motion on my bench, as issues with my shoulders prevent me from pulling my arms behind me, consequently my bench only goes down to the point where my upper arms are parallel with the floor and the bar is several inches above my chest. Most guys I know, and probably the entire internet, will say that doesn't qualify as a real rep. At the gym I'm able to ignore it, and just do me. But when I see videos of guys lifting heavier than me, for a full range of motion, the thought of posting a video of "less quality" is intimidating.

There’s a huge difference between choosing not to work the muscle through the full range of motion and working the muscle through your personal full range of motion. Many people would use an issue like that to not do that particular lift at all. So good on you for grinding through.
  • itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 3,822 Member
    Options

There’s a huge difference between choosing not to work the muscle through the full range of motion and working the muscle through your personal full range of motion. Many people would use an issue like that to not do that particular lift at all. So good on you for grinding through.
    This.

This is perfect. Thank you for saying it.

And it's another reason people should pause before giving unsolicited advice. You might not know the personal limitations.

There are other reasons of course. The first time I saw an athlete doing quarter squats I thought they were whacky. Turns out it was a sport specific training.
    Options

This.

This is perfect. Thank you for saying it.

And it's another reason people should pause before giving unsolicited advice. You might not know the personal limitations.

There are other reasons of course. The first time I saw an athlete doing quarter squats I thought they were whacky. Turns out it was a sport specific training.

Yes. exactly what you 2 said here.
    I was always told by trainers that i should squat deeper...

F* YOU!

I can't physically get any deeper, if i could, i would, because i know it would put more stress on the muscles, so it would grow faster with same load.

About the quarter squats, i saw it coming by on a feed once, and all i could think was. What is the reason for this? Because i could clearly see this was a professional athlete, so i looked up the thought about quarter squats and then looked into the profile of the athlete. Turns out, she was a sprinter, and quarter squats helps them getting better with their explosive start
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options

If you ask my physiotherapist he would maintain that this is the safest way to bench because full ROM in a bench press is hard on the rotator cuff. No matter how you do an exercise, someone is going to cheer it and someone will criticise it. Lol

Just keep being your awesome self! And post vids! Haha
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Leo_King84 wrote: »
    ff7sce2e741e.jpg

I decided to go into the gym, find all my 1 rep maxes and stick at them until the 1 rep becomes multiple reps.

Hit my first set of 3 yesterday so I'm liking the progress.

Great work and welcome to the thread!
  • Leo_King84
    Leo_King84 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    @KickassAmazon76 Thank you, I'm happy to be here.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,081 Member
    Options
    When you can do 3 reps at a "ONE-rep-max" you must be doing something right!

I still remember the first time I struggled through a single rep of bench at 225, how momentous that day was for me. Now I bang out 5 reps as part of a warmup towards heavier weight, and today did 11 reps after doing my five heavy triples. Moral of the story is that if you keep at it, what used to be difficult yesterday becomes routine today, and just imagine what tomorrow will bring!
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    Where is the nightshift Hockey league. Oh yeah, only in my dreams.

833spu1zchck.gif