Lost Hope and looking for Ideas

Options
Considering I've taken circut training in college and worked out daily for no less than a hour a day and lost 5lbs in a 6 week period I'm hesitant on diets cause it just doesnt work with me. I'm either muscle or flab and I dont mind the muscle its just for my build I'm anything but proportionate. Are there any equals in my despare because eating right didnt work, excercising helped but wasnt realistic, and it seems like only when I stop eating do I start losing anything which is not healthy at all.

Replies

• boca2714
    Options
    What kind of workouts do you do? Doing more Cardio work should help to burn fat without building to much muscle and when you do weight train try using a little less weight and doing 16-20 reps in staid of 8-10. This will help you keep your muscles tone but lean and keep you from looking like a body builder.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    If you're that active, you might not be eating enough. Your BMR might be higher than what MFP thinks it is.
  • sas94086
    sas94086 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you get tested by your doctor and that the thyroid is firing correctly. It takes a long time to get there for some of us. Hang in there :)
  • LnbakaWhitey
    LnbakaWhitey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yeah your right we took measurements and even though the BMI caculator on this says I'm like 32% body fat I'm actually measured at 23% which is still bad but not as bad. I'm just lost because working out about a hour and a half to 2 hours a day doing a 45rep circut each of biceps / tricep / innerthigh / outter thigh / ab crunch / shoulder press / butterflys / leg extension etc. is stregthening but again its for not cause I'm not seeing the change on the scale or in the mirror. Too Much Maybe?
  • mythbustermom
    Options
    You also have to remember that the scale Is NOT the be all end all of your True Progress. Check with a fat calculator (hand held little machine available at most fitness gyms) it will tell you how much fat is lost compared to muscle gained. I had plateaued for over a month on the scale, but when I checked in with the fat calculator I had lost 10 lbs of fat and gained 5 lbs of muscle. Keep At It and Keep Smiling :-)
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Mix it up - do a different type of workout. Your body has probably adjusted to the routine. Try doing more weight and fewer reps, and reorder the circuit. With the new weight do as many reps until you lose "perfect form" this determines the amount of weight for desired number of reps. Shoot for a weight that only allows 6-8 reps. Don't worry, you won't bulk up - you're just tricking your muscles into doing something different. You could alternate the total reps for each exercise, do every other one with few reps, higher weight and then the next week/time switch. Also try doing a different type of exercise for each of those muscle groups - use the cable instead of dumbells. etc. Also make sure you are eating enough and getting enough protein for your muscles to "repair".