plantar fasciitis

Options
HELP! I am so motivated after 35 years I am working very hard to get fit and I am hurting so bad from my PF. I am using Voltaren Gel and icing my foot. I am sleeping in a splint and I hurt so bad when I hike/jog. Any suggestions other than resting it?

Replies

• KENNY1957
    KENNY1957 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    SUE I'V HEARD CUSTOM ARCH SUPPORTS HELP A LOT BECAUSE THEY EVEN THE PRESSURE OUT OVER ALL YOUR FOOT AREA......YOU HAVE A HIGH ARCH HUH??
  • nelsonab
    nelsonab Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have really good shoes. I had been wearing New Balance for years, and my dr said those were the worst for my feet. I now swear by Asics Gel Nimbus. They are top of the line and around $129 per pair, but you can find them on sale sometimes. They are all I wear and I replace every 3-6 months. Also, I have a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory of Nabutemone (sp) that the podiatrist gave me so when mine flares I use that. It is frustrating when you start exercising and then that rears it's ugly head. I have also had 3 steroid shots in the last 2 years. They do help but it only lasts about 6 months and I won't lie it's pretty painful to get them.
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I started getting PF last year when I began running. I had gone to Road Runner Sports for a gait analysis and shoe recommendation, but then started getting PF and shin splints. I went back and told them at RRS and they said that the shoes they put me in at first were likely too stiff. They changed me to Nike Pegasus with green Superfeet insoles, and the problem was instantly cured!! I have high arches and tend to overpronate a bit, so I wear Neutral or Neutral + running shoes. I can tell when it is time to replace my running shoes, as the PF starts to flare up. When that happens now, I use my night splint for a night or two and get new shoes and all is good again. I know it can be very painful and frustrating, but that is what worked for me. Good luck to you...hope you find your solution.
  • borichfan
    borichfan Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have Plantar Fasciitis in my left foot. The last time i went to the foot doctor, he taped my foot up and told me to wear it for a week. It really helped my foot, so i bought a roll of wide masking tape, (much like the tape the doctor used) and i tape my foot up every day, and it is a weird feeling, but i got used to it. You can try taping your foot. Here is how i do it. I tear off strips of tape long enough to reach bottom of my foot from the ball of my foot to heel and go up heel a little. Do several strips, about 3 layers over bottom of foot. Then tear a strip of tape to wrap around side of foot, starting just above the arch wrap it around the heel and up the other side of your foot. Put your sock on over the tape. The tape sticks all day especially with the sock on to hold it in place. The tape on bottom of your foot works as an extra arch support. I have no more pain from my plantat fasciitis since i been taping my foot daily years ago.
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I wear a night splint and heel cups from Heel-That-Pain.com. They are guaranteed and have worked like a dream. I also wear custom arch supports in my running shoes. Best of luck :)
  • Robert824
    Options
    I also have PF in my left foot, a couple of things that I do as I sit at a desk all day, is I am continually flexing my foot, I also circle my feet in both directions, and I keep a bottle of water frozen in the freezer and I have my someone bring it to me before I get up and I roll my foot across the frozen bottle, that trick make my foot feel sooooo good, I was taught that by a chiropractor, I also went to a shoe store and they scanned my feet and I have a pretty good arch on my feet, so they fitted my with some nice insoles made of cork, they don't break down as quick as other brands. hope this helps and good luck.
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have really good shoes. I had been wearing New Balance for years, and my dr said those were the worst for my feet. I now swear by Asics Gel Nimbus. They are top of the line and around $129 per pair, but you can find them on sale sometimes. They are all I wear and I replace every 3-6 months. Also, I have a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory of Nabutemone (sp) that the podiatrist gave me so when mine flares I use that. It is frustrating when you start exercising and then that rears it's ugly head. I have also had 3 steroid shots in the last 2 years. They do help but it only lasts about 6 months and I won't lie it's pretty painful to get them.

I know this post is a bit old and you might not see my comment but I saw your comment and laughed at the irony. I have just recently got PF I believe, the arch in my left foot is killing me. I always wore New balance and decided I should try another brand cause there could be other good ones out there and after some research decided on Asics. My foot has never been the same and I believe this to be the problem. I have only had them for a couple of months but thats when the pain started and it got worse this weekend. When I go to get a new pair of shoes you bet I will buy new balance again and never invest in Asics again!!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of stretching and start slow, since I always start off with a limp anyway. I ice it for half an hour after afterwards, and I have noticed that for now, the pain is manageable as long as I don't do more than 30 minutes at a time without a break.
    My plantar fascia had to be medically stretched for me to even begin to walk as a child, so it seems I am doomed to this sort of pain for the rest of my life. Pretty big bummer, but I'm not going to let it deter me.
    I'm going to go the expensive customized running shoe route, but hubby won't pay for them until I prove I'm serious about running, which means another month or two of daily logging miles.
  • khoolette
    Options
    I have PF and bone spurs in my heals. I got the shoe inserts 5 years ago and it's like I never had PF! I have to wear them almost every day, or the pain returns...but they are easy to wear and I'm able to do anything (including run) My Dr. wanted to sell me these for $300 but I went to a local shoe store (small mom and pop type that's been around for years) and they made them for $150.
  • janette130
    janette130 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You may not see this post, but what everyone has said will help (icing with water bottle, lots of stretching (lots) especially before you get out of bed. I have had problems with this for the last 2 years. One foot gets pretty good and then the other starts hurting again. I have done all that doctors suggested except for surgery.

The best thing you can do is stretch not only the foot but lots of stretching to the kilies tendon, calves and back of legs. Your PF is connected to all tendons that run to the back of the leg so just stretching your foot will not get relief. If you have insurance and it's covered, look into A-stem therapy. It's wonderful and really helped heal my foot. I also purchased a incline board to stand on - it's better than standing on the stairs and dropping your heels.

Wearing a boot to bed is also very helpful. My doctors said this is when your foot will try to heal and since our feet our inclined to bend because of the covers, the foot heals in the position. Then when we step out onto the floor and take those first few steps, we tear the PF tendon again.

If you want to email me with questions, please do so. I have tried it all! I do not have problems with PF any more, but I still have to constantly stretch every day to keep it from coming back.

janetteprice@llive.com

Good luck to you!
  • Suepop1994
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the great information. Ended up at the podiatrist at which time the xrays showed some heal spurs. Got an injection and he put me on Diclofenac orally. My foot is much better and better yet, I can continue with my work out program. So happy with the results so far. I still wear my night splint and ice it after most runs. Still can't make myself spend the $149 on the shoes the foot solutions store recommends for me. Little at a time. :) Thanks for all the suggestions.