Gym or home?

Options
lisakatz2
lisakatz2 Posts: 218 Member
Do you prefer to work out at home, or in a gym?

I'm currently working out at home (going for brisk walks daily, exercising with fitness bands). I'd like to join a gym eventually. I find it more motivating. I find working out at home more challenging because I work full-time at a fairly stressful job and find it easy to head to bed to rest before dinner (my hubs does the cooking).

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Home. I like the convenience and don't need the motivation of others. I have bench, db's, barbell, pullup bar.
  • lisakatz2
    Options
    Wow, you have a nice set of equipment! I'm glad you enjoy working out at home! For me, other gym members don't motivate me, but having to go someplace outside my home does. Once I get there, there is no turning back! No bed to lie down on, no distractions. I am very focused when I work out at a gym.
    At home, that's more of a challenge.
  • lisakatz2
    Options
    That sounds like a nice "program" Ann! A nice mix of fun outdoor stuff and good indoor equipment when the weather gets harsh. Looks like you live in a beautiful area, I like the photo very much.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    I would enjoy having the convenience of a home gym setup for lifting, but admit I'd probably still go to the gym to have access to spotters if needed for the heaviest sets.
  • lisakatz2
    Options
    With a 980 square foot condo, we really don't have the storage space for a bench and a full set up of dumbbells/barbells. We don't have a garage, and my husband has loaded up the closets with DVDs, musical equipment, and model train stuff much to my chagrin (still love him, though). But mostly, the motivation is easier when I work out outside my home. That's the bottom line for me.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,129 Member
    edited April 7
    Options
    I'm lucky enough to have the space in our garage for a home gym: treadmill, rowing machine, weightlifting rack and dumbells/ barbells.

I do all of my running on the treadmill - I like the convenience of controlling my pace (outdoors I tend to go too fast) and I watch TV while I run.
    The rowing machine is used occasionally to diversify my workouts.
    I haven't done any strength training in aaaaages (but my BF uses the equipment).

I'm introverted and socially awkward so having a home gym is just the most comfortable for me, as well as not having to worry about how I look (messy hair etc) or losing time to go to the nearest gym (not many options where I live anyway).

I walk outdoors as well, but that's mostly on holiday or weekends (long walks).
  • lisakatz2
    Options
    Wow Lietchi you are so lucky to have the space for a home gym! What a set up!
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Home! I've worked out in a gym exactly once in my entire life, haha. I do some pilates and light weight lifting at home. Hiking is my #1 favorite exercise, though.
    I have a completely separate area in my house for my job. I do think it would help to have a separate area devoted exclusively to exercise, too.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Both. Kayaking, walking, biking, rowing, all done from home. Daily elliptical and weight lifting at the gym. I wouldn't want to devote the space or the money into the equipment I'd need for a home gym. Besides, then I'd have to clean around it LOL
  • lisakatz2
    Options
    dougii wrote: »
    Both. Kayaking, walking, biking, rowing, all done from home. Daily elliptical and weight lifting at the gym. I wouldn't want to devote the space or the money into the equipment I'd need for a home gym. Besides, then I'd have to clean around it LOL

Dougi I think you are the first person on this thread that mentions liking the gym! I know exactly what you mean about space and money. One concern I have is "outgrowing" a weight set as I lift heavier and heavier. I simply don't have the room.

All your outdoor activities sound fun. You mention kayaking/rowing, I assume you have a river by you? Must be nice.
  • lisakatz2
    Options
    Home! I've worked out in a gym exactly once in my entire life, haha. I do some pilates and light weight lifting at home. Hiking is my #1 favorite exercise, though.
    I have a completely separate area in my house for my job. I do think it would help to have a separate area devoted exclusively to exercise, too.

Adah I enjoy hiking too. There are mountains close to where I live and the area is very hilly. Quite a challenge!
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 344 Member
    edited April 7
    Options
    My hubby and I had gym memberships for years. I appreciated the different classes offered and all the equipment available.

When COVID lockdowns hit we had to change our exercise routines. I started taking walks, hiking and jogging again. We began a home gym with free weights and work out bench. I put a TV in that room and used YouTube videos to supplement my exercise. Once the gym reopened I found my desire to go there had faded. I enjoyed the peace and solitude of my own home better.

When we bought our current home I made sure that we would have an extra room to set up a home gym again. I'm not using it as often as I probably should but I don't see myself having a gym membership again any time soon. I am looking to add some more equipment and heavier weights to our home space.
  • lisakatz2
    Options
    FibroHiker wrote: »
    My hubby and I had gym memberships for years. I appreciated the different classes offered and all the equipment available.

When COVID lockdowns hit we had to change our exercise routines. I started taking walks, hiking and jogging again. We began a home gym with free weights and work out bench. I put a TV in that room and used YouTube videos to supplement my exercise. Once the gym reopened I found my desire to go there had faded. I enjoyed the peace and solitude of my own home better.

When we bought our current home I made sure that we would have an extra room to set up a home gym again. I'm not using it as often as I probably should but I don't see myself having a gym membership again any time soon. I am looking to add some more equipment and heavier weights to our home space.

You are lucky to have a house/the space. I don't. Sounds like a nice set up you have there! You've almost convinced me to buy a home but I live in the Los Angeles area and home prices have gone through the roof! I don't drive and take public transportation to work. It's pretty close.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 7
    Options
    Both.

The gym I use has several different options for passes. When I worked I had a full pass because I needed the discipline of stopping by the gym every day on my way home.

There is also has an option where a person can buy a six month pass so I went through a phase where I bought one for the winter months, but in the summer I did outdoor things instead.

Now that I'm retired I prefer to be outside: snowshoe, ski, run, hike, kayak, dragon boat, etc, and I have some weights at home to use. But I also load up single visits on my gym pass so if the weather is particularly ugly, I can go there. Or during shoulder season, when the snow is too yukky to ski or snowshoe, but too messy to run or hike.

I don't think a lot of gyms have that kind of flexibility so I really appreciate it. I don't hate the gym, but I don't love it either. It's just a tool I use to keep me on the path to being healthy.
  • connell3462
    connell3462 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use the gym , I tend to get a better workout when im in the environment. The home has too many distractions and not enough variety.
  • lisakatz2
    Options
    I use the gym , I tend to get a better workout when im in the environment. The home has too many distractions and not enough variety.

I agree with you completely. Team gym! :)
  • lisakatz2
    Options
    When I worked I had a full pass because I needed the discipline of stopping by the gym every day on my way home.

I can relate to this very well. Once I get there, there is no turning back! :)

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,521 Member
    edited April 7
    Options
    lisakatz2 wrote: »
    I know exactly what you mean about space and money. One concern I have is "outgrowing" a weight set as I lift heavier and heavier. I simply don't have the room.
    That's why I never recommend anyone get fixed db's. However, you can get a pair of adjustable db's that go up/down quickly in 2.5 or 5 pound increments from 5 pounds to whatever their max is, 25, 50, 80, 100, depending on the brand and model. Check garagegymreviews site and YT for reviews of many. So space isn't really an issue there. And the cost soon pays for itself compared to a gym membership, especially if you can get them used. Having a bench helps too, and those can often be stood up vertical between workouts to save space, or in some cases folded.

Someone mentioned lack of variety at home. You shouldn't need variety to make progress, you just need consistency.
  • lisakatz2
    Options

Someone mentioned lack of variety at home. You shouldn't need variety to make progress, you just need consistency.

I believe this is very true! Your posts always make a lot of sense, Retroguy!

You're convincing me that working out at home may be a good option for me. I would definitely want a bench.