Gym or home?

Options
2»

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    lisakatz2 wrote: »
    Do you prefer to work out at home, or in a gym?

I'm currently working out at home (going for brisk walks daily, exercising with fitness bands). I'd like to join a gym eventually. I find it more motivating. I find working out at home more challenging because I work full-time at a fairly stressful job and find it easy to head to bed to rest before dinner (my hubs does the cooking).

If you're napping instead of working out when you get home, go to the gym.
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    lisakatz2 wrote: »
    Do you prefer to work out at home, or in a gym?

I'm currently working out at home (going for brisk walks daily, exercising with fitness bands). I'd like to join a gym eventually. I find it more motivating. I find working out at home more challenging because I work full-time at a fairly stressful job and find it easy to head to bed to rest before dinner (my hubs does the cooking).

If you're napping instead of working out when you get home, go to the gym.

Point taken! :)
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    That's why I never recommend anyone get fixed db's. However, you can get a pair of adjustable db's that go up/down quickly in 2.5 or 5 pound increments from 5 pounds to whatever their max is, 25, 50, 80, 100, depending on the brand and model.

I bought a set of adjustable DB's years ago, but the latch which allows change in weight snapped after only a few uses. Here's hoping the years have made them more durable.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,517 Member
    edited April 8
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    I bought a set of adjustable DB's years ago, but the latch which allows change in weight snapped after only a few uses. Here's hoping the years have made them more durable.
    With so much competition now, some offer two or three year warranties, and also may sell spare parts.

I've seen some tests dropping them from tables on to concrete and some do well with that. It's a fair point that they should be able to withstand a short fall in case you suddenly need to drop them due to potential injury. Ofc you can help reduce that damage risk by bringing out pads to place on either side of the bench.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Gym team here although I haven't been at the gym for a long time (health issues and limitations). I am doing PT now and I hope to return to my "almost" regular routine in a couple of weeks. I live in a gated community and we have two gyms available and doesn't cost me anything to use both or either since they are included in the monthly HOA fees.
    My house is not set up for a gym, and like other members said, I don't want to invest money in gym equipment either. I have some dumbbells and exercises bands at home that I use often, but that is all. I find the gym more motivating and it gets me out of the house for one to two hours a few times a week.
    I also like variety in my routine, and by that I mean the use of different cardio or wt. lifting equipment that the gym provides. I can have determination and consistency but always doing the same thing is boring. I am already limited in what I do due to age and physical problems and working out at home makes it worse.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options
    Home.