A Calorie is a Calorie, Right!

Options
Aesop101
Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
I've always had my doubts. In a recent video by Shawn Baker MD, he pointed out a study that was done on rats or mice. The rats that were given a high carb diet gained weight and had illnesses. The Rats or mice that were given a low carb diet became healthier. The calorie counts were the same for both groups.

So I theorize that in a lab all calories are equal but in the human body they are handled differently.

I've seen several videos of people who cut out carbs and sugar and have lost weight while maintain that otherwise they haven't changed their eating habits. I for one are among them. I do fast though. That's to get rid of diabetes.

I thought it was an interesting study. I know many will be con and some will be pro. That's just the way it goes. All replies will be worth reading.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Thread belongs in "Debate Club", if you ask me.

Apparently I'm not a rat or mouse. I'm a post-menopausal, aging, severely hypothyroid woman, formerly long-term obese/overweight.

I lost fine eating near the MFP default of 50% carbs, and exceeded the MFP total sugars default goal every single day. All my health markers improved: Blood pressure, cholesterol, all that jazz, formerly bad, now totally fine. I've maintained a healthy weight for nearly 8 years, still eating carbs (225g+ most days) and sugars (averaging 90g+ daily, mostly inherent not added sugars).

I don't have (never had) diabetes or insulin resistance. That may make a difference, I can't say.

All I can say is that I lost/maintain weight fine, eating around my calorie goal on average, with plenty of carbs/sugars in the picture. My doctors are very happy with my health markers, across the board. So am I.

Studies in humans that equalize both protein and calorie intake have shown negligible difference in low carb vs. low fat diets. Human studies are always fraught, because we can't lock people in a metabolic chamber long term and control their intake strictly, so these are mostly short term studies, or based on self-reports over a longer term. That's a theoretical weakness.

Here's a consumer-friendly article on a major year-long study that controlled for these difficulties about as well as one might hope. The article's from a sound (evidence-based) outfit, not an advocacy group, and it has links to the supporting research. The study was done by an institute founded by a low-carb advocate.

https://examine.com/articles/low-fat-vs-low-carb-for-weight-loss/
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    edited April 7
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Thread belongs in "Debate Club", if you ask me.

Apparently I'm not a rat or mouse. I'm a post-menopausal, aging, severely hypothyroid woman, formerly long-term obese/overweight.

I lost fine eating near the MFP default of 50% carbs, and exceeded the MFP total sugars default goal every single day. All my health markers improved: Blood pressure, cholesterol, all that jazz, formerly bad, now totally fine. I've maintained a healthy weight for nearly 8 years, still eating carbs (225g+ most days) and sugars (averaging 90g+ daily, mostly inherent not added sugars).

I don't have (never had) diabetes or insulin resistance. That may make a difference, I can't say.

All I can say is that I lost/maintain weight fine, eating around my calorie goal on average, with plenty of carbs/sugars in the picture. My doctors are very happy with my health markers, across the board. So am I.

Studies in humans that equalize both protein and calorie intake have shown negligible difference in low carb vs. low fat diets. Human studies are always fraught, because we can't lock people in a metabolic chamber long term and control their intake strictly, so these are mostly short term studies, or based on self-reports over a longer term. That's a theoretical weakness.

Here's a consumer-friendly article on a major year-long study that controlled for these difficulties about as well as one might hope. The article's from a sound (evidence-based) outfit, not an advocacy group, and it has links to the supporting research. The study was done by an institute founded by a low-carb advocate.

https://examine.com/articles/low-fat-vs-low-carb-for-weight-loss/

I just want to point out a few things regarding that study.

Christopher Gardener the lead author for this study is the director of nutritional studies at the Stanford Prevention Research Centre and he's also the director of Stanford's Plant Based Diet Initiative which is also funded by Beyond Meat who clearly has advocated for mostly a plant based diet throughout his career. Nothing wrong with that, just mentioning this fact.

Looking at the study and I'll just get to the points that I believe are relevant.

The participants in the low carb group after the initial adjustment period were consuming down to around 100g's a day at the 3 month mark and after 12 months they were consuming around 130g's a day. The RDI for carbohydrates are 130, and basically what they ended up consuming. Any low carb researcher will tell us that 50g's would be considered low carb and many will say less, down to 20g's a day in carbohydrates. Won't get into the details on how the participants recorded what they ate or how the data was collected but just say, not controlled at all.

Therefore not very surprised that the differences were not very relevant, but the other interesting result was the group that consumed fewer carbs also raised their HDL significantly and lowered their triglycerides. No mention of particle size of LDL or oxidative damage which is indicative of lower HDL and higher trigs, not surprised considering those implications.

Basically and practically this study was comparing in the end the difference from consuming 200g's with 130g's of carbs a day and not really comparing a genuine low carb diet, which is a pretty common occurrence throughout the literature over the years and this one is no different really. Anyway, if it were a choice I would rather have a diet that improved my HDL and lowers my triglycerides and still get to eat the RDI for carbohydrates. :)

• Leo_King84
    Leo_King84 Posts: 246 Member
    edited April 7
    Options
    You can eat 1500 calories a day of McDonalds and lose weight.

You can eat 1500 calories of whole foods a day and lose the same weight.

The difference is one will make you feel like crap in the long run because of less nutrients.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    There's an existing 50 year ongoing human study where the diet protocol is the Standard American Diet where it appears, similar results have manifested, but animal studies are always interesting. :#
  • StealthyJen
    StealthyJen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I suspect whether cico works or not depends on where your body is at hormonally. I’m 48 and when I was younger, the math worked. I lost weight if I ate less, period. Now I’m insulin resistant and prediabetic and the math doesn’t seem to work anymore. I logged daily weights and calorie counts for quite a while and it doesn’t seem to matter whether I eat 1400 calories or 3000 calories, my weight stays the same.

I’m now eating no flour and no sugar but still eating slower-digested whole carbs (Ezekiel bread, brown rice, shredded wheat cereal, potatoes, corn, lots of beans, fruits, vegetables, etc) and losing weight. My calories are not that low, either. Usually around 2000/day. I also keep an eye on saturated fats and choose monounsaturated whenever possible. It seems to be working.

Psychologically, Dr Glenn Livingston’s ideas are helping.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    The rats that were given a high carb diet gained weight and had illnesses. The Rats or mice that were given a low carb diet became healthier. The calorie counts were the same for both groups.

But of course one can eat the same calories and one group get sick and other not - if one diet is full of nutritious foods and other diet is some extreme of non nutrition

That doesnt negate a calorie being a calorie - just like, using somebody's previous example - I could walk a mile on the road or a mile in sand - one would take longer and perhaps give me sore muscles - but the mile distance is still the same.

and it is possible diets which make you feel crap lead to indirect changes in the OUT equation - ie you move less when you are not feeling healthy. That would apply even to rats.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't process carbs like a used to. I've dieted for a long, long time. I've lost weight and I gained it back several times. I counted calories when everything was on menu. I had to starve myself to lose weight. Now I don't have to. I eat very well. The difference is I'm eating very low carbs. Today was around 80. I think MyFitnessPal had the sauteed cabbage wrong. I will change how I enter that. I lost 1.4 pounds this week. On Friday I had 4 hamburger patties, Wendy's double wrapped in lettuce, Cottage cheese, and Greek Plain Yogurt. I was sated, not stuffed. I also fast quite a bit. I don't eat by the clock anymore. I eat when I'm hungry. I'm down 96 pounds, 350 to 254 (253.8). Nothing has worked so well for me. This is highly sustainable.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    so Aesop, it seems a low calorie diet and some form of restricted eating time works for you.

Thats great! - we all need t o find a sustainable way of eating that works for us long term.

It doesn't however negate the basic 'a calorie is a calorie' statement.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    Aesop101 wrote: »
    I definitely don't process carbs like a used to. I've dieted for a long, long time. I've lost weight and I gained it back several times. I counted calories when everything was on menu. I had to starve myself to lose weight. Now I don't have to. I eat very well. The difference is I'm eating very low carbs. Today was around 80. I think MyFitnessPal had the sauteed cabbage wrong. I will change how I enter that. I lost 1.4 pounds this week. On Friday I had 4 hamburger patties, Wendy's double wrapped in lettuce, Cottage cheese, and Greek Plain Yogurt. I was sated, not stuffed. I also fast quite a bit. I don't eat by the clock anymore. I eat when I'm hungry. I'm down 96 pounds, 350 to 254 (253.8). Nothing has worked so well for me. This is highly sustainable.
    congrats on the loss.

The reason that people lose on your type of diet is that fat satiates them better than carbs so they end up taking in fewer weekly calories

• paperpudding
    Options
    oops my post was supposed to say so Aesop, it seems a low carb diet and some form of restricted eating time works for you.