Les Mills Bodycombat VS Bodypump & Calories burned

Options
shareebarnett2017
shareebarnett2017 Posts: 32 Member
Hi All,

I am 31 Yrs old I have a 20 month old toddler and since having him I have not been able to loose ANY weight... in fact I weigh a stone more than I did prior to having him.
I have recently returned to the gym which holds Les Mills classes and I also have a subscription to LMOD.

Mondays I swim
Tuesdays I Bodycombat & Zumba
Wednesdays I bodycombat x 2
Thursday is a rest day
Friday I Zumba.

I have been doing the above since January...

I have frustratingly noticed that my Apple Watch says I burn roughly 200cals when I do a combat workout at home yet when I do it in the gym it's closer to 400... does anybody experience this? its also the same when I do a pump workout at home I seem to burn less that I do in the gym??

I was also wondering if any of you have found better results from combat or pump?

Please let me know or give me info on what you found helped you.

x

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,121 Member
    edited April 9
    Options
    Your Apple watch doesn't measure calorie burn, it estimates based on most notably heart rate. The higher number could be because you actually did a more intense workout, or because some external factor is causing your heart rate to be higher.

Some possibilities:
    - is the duration the same?
    - working out in the gym: group class? Any chance you're getting 'swept up' by the other people there/the music/the instructor and therefore doing a more intense workout?
    - perhaps you start at a higher HR level at the gym because you hurried to the class/did another exercise activity beforehand (which increases your average HR)?
    - your heart rate might higher due to more stress (for example hurrying to be on time/general stress from a less calm environment...)?

PS: if you mean 'weight loss' by 'better results': exercise is great for health, building some muscle is great too - but generally speaking you'll make more progress in weight loss by minding your calorie intake than by increasing your burned calories through exercise (although every little bit helps).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    edited April 9
    Options
    Good answer from Lietchi.

In the interests of solidarity with you: I'm a rower. I row on rivers when I can, but when I can't be on water it's usually on a machine at home. Once in a while, I get on the rowing machine at my gym to warm up for a strength workout, or at a public event where my rowing club is exhibiting/demoing.

Even though it's not a thing I try to do, I've noticed that I usually go harder in a group situation (in objective terms, i.e., faster rowing pace according to the machine, not just more calories on my Garmin).

I don't have any intentional impulse to show off or whatever (no one else is watching the machine monitor, and it doesn't show from the outside). Somehow, I'm just more jazzed or motivated in that kind of environment, and I don't know why. 🤷
  • shareebarnett2017
    shareebarnett2017 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Your Apple watch doesn't measure calorie burn, it estimates based on most notably heart rate. The higher number could be because you actually did a more intense workout, or because some external factor is causing your heart rate to be higher.

Some possibilities:
    - is the duration the same?
    - working out in the gym: group class? Any chance you're getting 'swept up' by the other people there/the music/the instructor and therefore doing a more intense workout?
    - perhaps you start at a higher HR level at the gym because you hurried to the class/did another exercise activity beforehand (which increases your average HR)?
    - your heart rate might higher due to more stress (for example hurrying to be on time/general stress from a less calm environment...)?

PS: if you mean 'weight loss' by 'better results': exercise is great for health, building some muscle is great too - but generally speaking you'll make more progress in weight loss by minding your calorie intake than by increasing your burned calories through exercise (although every little bit helps).

Thank you for this.
    - Duration is the same but having read the rest of your comment and reflecting... yes, im always rushing to the class ontop of that its light three flights of stairs before I reach the class so and yes, its a group class so maybe I do give it more effort as I am always frightened ill kick one of the dogs in the head at home. I haven't noticed any weight loss on the scale but I feel much better in myself and I clothes seem to fit me better. I guess im just trying to rush into 'trying' to get my body close to where it was before I had a baby.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,121 Member
    Options
    Clothes fitting better is already a good sign that you're lowering bodyfat :smile:
    I don't know how long you've been at it: weeks/months? New exercise can add water weight to the scale (for muscle repair), masking fat loss on the scale. If the scale doesn't budge after 2 months/menstrual cycles, then I would say it's time to look at the number of calories you're consuming. But if it's been shorter than that, just be a bit more patient.

Your comment about the dogs made me laugh - please don't kick them :grin: