Supplements eating my calories

Options
I have been successful following the prescribed 1200 calories per day. Taking care of my health and nutritional needs I have added mct oil, hempseed, fiber, collagen and flaxseed to my diet. These supplements add up to over 250 calories. that’s before I even EAT anything. Any suggestions? Btw, I’m a vegan so supplements are important to hit my body’s nutritional needs.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    Maybe 1200 is not enough calories for you in general, you give us little context.

And, MCT oil, collagen, flaxseeds ARE foods...I mean if you were eating animal products you'd still need those nutrients and everything comes with calories.

Here, maybe go a little less extreme on the calorie deficit. 1200 is exceedingly low and very hard to stick with - for anyone.

cfpqwo9vvrsi.png

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Unless you are very very short AND sedentary, you can eat more than 1200 calories.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,626 Member
    edited April 7
    Options
    Hmm... I do agree with the negative view regarding the universality of the 1200 Cal prescription. Most people can and probably should eat more. That said I am not as great a believer in the spending of vast amounts of calories on supplements--sorry.

You may want to check out examine.com and look into what would be the minimum "spend" for maximum benefit you may be able to get away with. if 1g of collagen is almost as good as 5g, you not only save the money but you also save 16 Cal to use somewhere else. The same, and even more so as they come in at a higher 9Cal per g, would apply to the oil supplements.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Does your medical doctor see a need for you to include supplements in your diet?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,916 Member
    edited April 8
    Options
    I'm not a calorie counter so I won't address that. As far as your choices in supplements are concerned and this is just my opinion based on what I know which for the most part is a little deeper dive than the editorials we see from main stream media for example.

MCT oil is mostly consumed for it's quick energy and helps people on a ketogenic diet increase ketone levels and they also help neurologically by offering an alternative fuel for the brain, which is a good thing and they have some antifungal properties. All great stuff but it's effectiveness lasts a couple of hours from ingestion, and the calories from taking MCT will be metabolized before any adipose is used, considering this, I'd say MCT oil for you and most people looking to lose weight, a waste of money, and the good MCT oil isn't cheap.

Hempseed, again lots of fiber and they're polyunsaturated fats which have been promoted as heart healthy, but. Hempseed is an omega 6 and considering most people's omega balance is way off for what would be considered healthy which is in the 1:1-1:4 ratio instead most people are in the 15:1-25:1 ratio and this is extremely pro inflammatory which needs to be balanced with our omega 3 levels of intake and is directly contributing to the chronic inflammation and higher CRP levels. If people wanted to implement a better and healthier balance then reducing omega 6's would be indicated. The particular problem with omega 6's is their linoleic acid content which is extremely sensitive to oxidation and formations of hydroperoxides, aldehydes, increased free radicals that really muck with the body's ability to produce and use antioxidants which can and do lead to cell death and increased progression of certain diseases and the main contributor to heart disease from it's ability to occupy our LDL cholesterol. If people want to consume plant oil I would suggest they consume fruit oils like olive oil, avocado oil and coconut oil, these don't have much linoleic acid compared to seed oil like sunflower, corn and soy and will bring that omega balance down to more healthier levels.

Collagen, I don't see a problem there. We can also support the body ability to protect and reproduce collagen naturally, which is mostly about certain proteins in the diet and the supporting vitamins and minerals, so yo might want to look into that.

Basically what I'm saying is you might want to talk with a dietitian who can inform you on any supplements you might be deficient in before picking ones that seem to make sense based on the common dialog in main stream outlets. Again just my opinion.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    MCT and Hemp really aren't that effective based on dosages suggested by supplement companies (they usually always say to take way less than effective doses in trials).

90% of supplements aren't needed by many especially if they are eating a diet that has lots of vegetables.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I'd re think your supplement program
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    MCT and Hemp really aren't that effective based on dosages suggested by supplement companies (they usually always say to take way less than effective doses in trials).

90% of supplements aren't needed by many especially if they are eating a diet that has lots of vegetables.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Would tend to agree, but then we have this:

"The CDC found that only 10 percent of adults were eating the recommended servings of vegetables, with 12.3 percent eating the recommended servings of fruit."

Full article:

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/longevity/588767-only-1-in-10-adults-eating-enough-fruits-and-vegetables/
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,916 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

"The CDC found that only 10 percent of adults were eating the recommended servings of vegetables, with 12.3 percent eating the recommended servings of fruit."

Full article:

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/longevity/588767-only-1-in-10-adults-eating-enough-fruits-and-vegetables/

Like I mentioned in another post or 2, fruit and veg has basically flat lined for about 50 years give or take a few spikes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    michelewm1 wrote: »
    I have been successful following the prescribed 1200 calories per day. Taking care of my health and nutritional needs I have added mct oil, hempseed, fiber, collagen and flaxseed to my diet. These supplements add up to over 250 calories. that’s before I even EAT anything. Any suggestions? Btw, I’m a vegan so supplements are important to hit my body’s nutritional needs.

I know vegans need to supplement with B12 and possibly iron, but I wonder if you are doing it on the omega-3 fatty acids. You might be able to cut back on the MCT oil, hempseed, or flaxseed. If you are adding the seeds for protein, consider a more efficient plant based source such as seitan or legumes. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/protein-for-vegans-vegetarians

You could also incorporate the MCT oil, hempseed, and flaxseed with meals. For example, you can cook with MCT oil for low to mid temperature cooking. https://naturalforce.com/blogs/nutrition/cooking-with-mct-oil
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    edited April 9
    Options
    I use prebiotic fibers, vegan collagen booster (Collagen is not vegan) and other supporting " supplements". that add about the same. They are more or less food based (ginger and tumeric powder, algae omega, liquid vegan multi, mushroom powders)
    I just log it as part of breakfast.
    Personally other than Algae omega for DHA and EPA, adding oil is not something I would do at all. Hemp and flax are good, but I use in smoothies, oatmeal, etc.using with other foods balance out other nutrients. I also get satiation from my a.m. regimine. I do agree you may want to re evaluate the suppleness and look for a comprehensive vegan specific food based multi ( since you are restricting your diet). The best idea is get all your levels checked, b12, D, etc
    I was in hospital recently and go to the doctor regularly and they are very happy with my numbers.
    Just a recommendation, why not have an avocado, some raw coconut meat, olives or food to replace mtc oil and maybe use a hemp protein? Just an idea. Eating A WFPB diet, not just vegan really is nourishing. I would however take a b 12 supplement and include nutritional yeast.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Full article:

Like I mentioned in another post or 2, fruit and veg has basically flat lined for about 50 years give or take a few spikes.

And look what the health of the typical American has done in the last 50 years, gone down the toilet.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,611 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Full article:

And look what the health of the typical American has done in the last 50 years, gone down the toilet.

My thought exactly 💯
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Full article:

Life expectancy has risen from 50 years ago though.
    2e2k97p0ppc5.png