diabetics

Options
i do have a question......i have diabetes but have been using the caloric intake called for. is it the same for diabetics?

Replies

• birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You should probably speak to your doctor or diabetic dietician for their recommendations...I am diabetic and I limit myself to 1200 calories, plus exercise calories burned...I also closely monitor my carbs and sugars...
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    if you are type 2 diabetic, you need to be more concerned about carbs. I have followed a program that kept my blood sugar level all day long----this prevents spikes and crashes, which is what makes us crave junk and feel hungry. Not too long after I started, i no longer had the threat of diabetes and, of course, I still don't.
  • tammylwv
    tammylwv Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I agree with this advice. I am type 2 and you do have to watch the carbs. You also will need to watch the fats (bad kind) as well since diabetes can go hand-in-hand with high cholesterol. Good rule to keep in mind is that 45 carbs per meal and 15 carbs per snack (2 snacks a day). This is taught by dieticians who educate patients who are newly diagnosed.
    You should probably speak to your doctor or diabetic dietician for their recommendations...I am diabetic and I limit myself to 1200 calories, plus exercise calories burned...I also closely monitor my carbs and sugars...
  • Tammylyn117
    Options
    I too am diabetic, and I try to watch my carb intake, and I have added more exercise to my daily routine. I am also trying to lose weight, so I have watched my caloric intake as well. Anyway, since I have been doing these things, I am no longer on any meds, and have not had a blood sugar reading higher than the high 130's in weeks. My 14 day average is 123. I think it is a combination of all these things that has helped. BTW, when I was diagnosed, even with medication, I could never get below 160, and often was well over 200, sometimes even close to 300 :(
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

Yup - each patient will be different. Your caloric intake, CHO, sugar, protein, fat will be different than the next patient.... you should automatically be consulting with your doctor AND a Diabetic nutritional counselor....
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump. Based on advice from my dietician, I stick to about 1,200 calories a day and I limit my carbs to 30 per meal and 15 per snack whenever possible. I also try not to eat much bread and virtually no pasta. Following these guidelines keeps my blood sugar in check and also keeps me using much less insulin, which is a catalyst to weight loss. Some days I meet those goals, and some I don't, especially when my sugar bottoms out. But, overall it keeps me under very good control. I also try to get in a lot of cardio, because this also keeps my insulin usage down and my blood sugars level. Hope this helps!
  • nelson6500
    Options
    When I was diagnosed with diabetes, my physician immediately scheduled me an appointment with a diabetic clinic and there dietician. She told me what carbs to eat and when. I received all kinds of materials and information. I would suggest you do the same. Really this web site doesn't cater to diabetics. I wish we could see more information in regards to carb intake. Especially on the phone application.

I stay around 1200 calories, 150 carbs a day 30 breakfast 45 lunch/dinner and 30 for snack. I try to snack at 15 2x a day.

It is tough, good luck.
  • smarterthanyoda
    Options
    I'll second what everybody else said about the importance of controlling carbs and meeting with a dietician and add that it's important for diabetics to watch the kinds of carbs they eat.

Refined carbs will create a spike that raises your blood sugar more than whole grains. When you see your dietician they will give you more details and guide you in ways specific to you.
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'll second what everybody else said about the importance of controlling carbs and meeting with a dietician and add that it's important for diabetics to watch the kinds of carbs they eat.

Refined carbs will create a spike that raises your blood sugar more than whole grains. When you see your dietician they will give you more details and guide you in ways specific to you.

I agree with all also. Keep an eye on carbs and your doc will help you with calories. Please feel free to check out my profile page regarding my journey and also feel free to add me as a friend. Good luck and you are on the right track!
  • denisegolden
    denisegolden Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    i can not stress enough how important it is that you see a dietician. unfortunately with diabetes often comes other medical and nutrient proplems. with the help of your doctor and dietician you can find out what nutrients YOUR diet needs. of course, limited caloric intake is important, but even if you are staying under your proper caloric count, you may be getting too many non fibrous carbs, or not enough protein or essential vitamins...so please consider a visit to a dietician.
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    I was diagnosed type II at beginning of July and the waiting list for the Dietician means my first appointment is not until 10th October (I'm in the UK so healthcare a bit different), so I will have been doing this on my own for over 3 months, with just sketchy info from Diabetes nurse and what I have gleaned on here and other online resources. Like Nelson, I try to stick to less than 150 carbs a day, between 30 to 45 in my meals, but it is tricky to stick to. Hopefully when I eventually see the dietician, I will have been doing it right, or at least, not doing it completely wrong!