Fitness Tracker

Options
mhschaffel
mhschaffel Posts: 2 Member
Crowd Sourcing Question: I'm new to MyfinessPal and want to wear a compatible fitness tracker? Which trackers work well with the app?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    What do you want to use the tracker for? That would be the most important question. How can we recommend something if we don't know what you're looking for?
  • angie4752
    angie4752 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love my Apple Watch but I also use a iPhone everything works together. The Fitbit is nice also.
  • patsutton01abc
    patsutton01abc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My phone/ tracker is not one of those mentioned on MyFitnessPal, how can I add steps and calories burned manually
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    I guess all the mentioned ones work. You should think about what functionality you want from a tracker. Apple watch looks cool but battery time is shite, thus likely not suitable for 24h/d wearing. Some watches are big but have lots of functionality. Smaller ones often have less functionality. Fitbit belongs to google, thus all your data belongs to them.
  • Ugogrl24
    Ugogrl24 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Several years ago I had a Fitbit and when it broke I got an Apple watch.Which I like because I can listen to my Apple Music.When you’re looking into watches make sure you look into the option to go cellular if you like listening to music when you work out without having to carry your phone with you.The cellular service is $10/ month on my phone bill each month.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,350 Member
    Options
    angie4752 wrote: »
    I love my Apple Watch but I also use a iPhone everything works together. The Fitbit is nice also.
    I love my Apple Watch. My kids love their Fitbits.
    I did get them a very inexpensive Fitbit knockoff a few years ago and it was enough to have them decide if they wanted to upgrade to the real thing.
    yirara wrote: »
    I guess all the mentioned ones work. You should think about what functionality you want from a tracker. Apple watch looks cool but battery time is shite, thus likely not suitable for 24h/d wearing.
    I concur with the functionality comment.
    And yes the Apple Watch has a shorter battery life, but it isn’t a big issue for most because it is very fast to charge. It’s typical to just charge it while showering or checking morning emails.
    My current watch is 2 1/2 years old with no battery life issues yet. I wear it constantly.
    By the 2 year point in its lifecycle my older Apple Watch was needing a battery top off in the late afternoon. But that’s not an issue I’m seeing yet.

And honestly? The fall detection, as well as the other fancy features, is well worth it If you're already an Apple user.
    I’m not sure I’d switch just because of the watch.
    And, unless you’re a super big fan of hiking and rock climbing, I personally wouldn’t buy the Ultra.
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I’ll vote for Garmin. A full charge lasts a good week (depending on what activities you’re tracking), and I love the data (sleep, heart rate), and it syncs with MFP effortlessly. I don’t need my watch for calls, emails, or to listen to music. YMMV.
  • TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My phone/ tracker is not one of those mentioned on MyFitnessPal, how can I add steps and calories burned manually

The activity level you chose gave you credit (and calories) for steps. To log deliberate exercise (for calorie estimate) log it under cardio.

Activity levels based on steps can be classified as follows:
    Sedentary: Less than 5,000 steps daily
    Low active: About 5,000 to 7,499 steps daily
    Somewhat active: About 7,500 to 9,999 steps daily
    Active: More than 10,000 steps daily
    Highly active: More than 12,500 steps daily

The way "synced" activity trackers work is they give you credit for the difference between chosen activity and actual.