WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2024

Options

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,042 Member
    Options
    Michele so sorry about your car accident. Hope you are okay. Is your neck stiff?

Lisa so brave of you, dealing with all those spiders! Ick!

Annie in Delaware
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    And the rest of the story...For my American compatriots, here's a jump in the WABAC Machine - I will always remember that phrase in Paul Harvey's voice. If you want to join me in the machine, here's a recording of that amazing voice, one with an always surprising ending.

Spent all day yesterday struggling with the quilt. Rant for all you creatives out there:
    Finally got one small section of my niece's bookshelf quilt nearly completed, and I am not happy with it at all. I've got to figure out an easier way to make this happen, or I will never finish it. I don't want to admit that I cannot make a bookshelf quilt, people make these blessed things every day.

Here's my first-world designer problem: I appear to be suspended on this fence that separates realism and representation and need to fall off on one side or the other and get over it. I even know which side I need to fall off on, and I keep going back to trying to make it look real when I KNOW better.

I cannot make this look real, and I HAVE to stop trying to do so. It is possible (I've seen them) to make this look real, but I'm not that kind of designer, and I need to get over it. I'm trying to make something that puts people in mind, quite charmingly, of a bookshelf, not something that makes people think there's a rikkin-frikkin-frakkin *(&*(&%&#^%#&*(&) bookshelf lying flat on the top of a bed!

OK, rant over, I feel somewhat better now. Sometimes, you just have to give in to the fact that you cannot design what's in your mind's eye out of fabric. Well, I have to give in to that, anyway. *sigh* I'm such a noodge. Hopefully this self-lecture turned rant will be helpful in getting me over this bump. I need to get on with it. Honestly, it's one of the reasons I only do one quilt about every five years. Takes me that long to get over the last one!

OK, rant over. Between every paragraph written, I've been getting my chores done or begun, peeled all the bits off the top of the stove and threw them in the dishwasher, along with a few breakfast dishes, sheets and towels in the dryer, dark items in the washer, and the rain is now predicted to hold off until noon or 1 p.m. I think I'll go out and get a couple outside things done... because IF they finally got the rain chances right, I'll be in inside all afternoon.

Later, my babies,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

A friend of mine does amazing quilts but she has a whole quilting set-up and a quilting machine. She did nice quilts before she got the machine but the machine took her to a whole new level.

So perhaps the bookshelf quilts you have seen were made by someone with quilting set-ups and machines.

M in Oz

Thank you, Machka - That actually makes me feel quite a bit better. Images seldom note how the quilts are created.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,539 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,698 Member
    Options
    I have one of the 4 wheeled walkers with the seat and basket like you showed and I think I might take it on the cruise with me instead of the scooter..I still get the exercise but can steady myself when needed.
    I know Miles is getting big..he is my little buddy..
    MIichelle- so aorry about the accident.
    Machka- so exciting to hear about your home purchase and can't wait to see all the pictures
    The Crown is on Netflix it is about the British monarchy with the death of King George and the reign of Queen Elizabeth.
    That picture of Miles is at daycare not at his house.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    <3
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Oh Kim. I'm so sorry. That is one rough morning.

Love you.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,860 Member
    edited April 11
    Options
    zpobthqec4oz.png

pr7x0m1fpkso.png

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,860 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,
    Can you get up off the floor with no hands or one hand?
    1 hand

Can you get up off a toilet seat or relatively hard chair with no hands? Legs & core strength.
    yes

Can you climb up at least 16 stairs (one residential flight)
    yes (did this twice today)

Do you have grab bars in your bathroom or toilet room?
    no

Do you have railings in and around your place where you need them?
    Do not currently need – but have a railing to put up when I have time

Could you get in and out of your place with a wheelchair?
    I have a ramp I can put in place to allow it if needed.

The following is a vent, with tears – Just skip it, I just needed to vent somewhere.
    Oh my!!!! I have my mom here, we need to go to the lawyers to sign the final adjustments to her trust. It has been a wild ride. It is tax time I have been nagging and being told all is fine.

Then yesterday when I arrived to pick her up, she admitted in tears that she has not started and has lost all the paper work that has gotten sent. So I went room by room, drawer by drawer, cupboard by cupboard and found everything. But she is so private and controlling I had never done this before.

And things are so much worse than I ever imagined. And she is in so much denial. It’s partially because she is having some memory loss, but it is more because she doesn’t have the stamina and gets so overwhelmed, and just stops doing whatever she was doing and goes to sit down or take a nap.

Honestly I would be overwhelmed at 64 if I had 2,700 feet of house to care for, 1 acre of yard to care for, and a son living with you that you do all the cooking, laundry and cleaning for - and she is 95. The only reason she has no help is because she refuses it - she could afford it, I have offered to set it up, to do it myself. And she just tells me I am being MEAN and hateful.

But I brought everything here and last night got everything straightened up to have her taxes done, and will be dropping them off this afternoon on my way to her house to drop her off.

As if that was not enough she decided to go from her bedroom to the bathroom this morning without either her cane or walker in her socks and slipped and fell. I got her up without any help from her because she was being stubborn and thought grabbing the hot radiator would be a good idea and I refused to let her use that to get up. Just what I did not need was her to burn her hands!!!! So in the middle of this fall/lift she peed and pooped all over, I got her on the toilet, told her just finish then I will come in with some cleaning supplies..

Instead she used a couple of rolls of toilet paper because she was embarrassed and did not want me to clean up so now the plumbing is clogged….. thank goodness I have a favorite plumber and he has my key (long story but when she was here last year I had a similar problem) so while we are at the lawyer he’ll fix the plumbing and I’ll do free embroidery for him. And it is only 10 am!

8pm and a few minutes to finish this. The rest of the day went ok, although I did not have enough time to get any of my stuff done… and as I was driving home I hit a pot hole, not a big one, just really a freeway divot, and every light on the dash went on and stayed on…. If I believed the dash I had 4 flat tires, my seat belt was not on, the doors were open and I had not put the gas cap on. It was driving fine, so I got to the slow lane as a precaution and drove home. I got home and turned the car off in the driveway then turned it back on and all is fine… And the plumbing is fixed and there were flowers on my kitchen table. I wish my plumber was not 25 years younger than me and did not have the nicest sweetest wife ever. LOL

Thinking of you all,
    Kim in N. California

So sorry Kim!