Starting over alcohol free

Options

Replies

• AmberlyMarlene
    AmberlyMarlene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @Darlene_Oregon Just do it! You've got this. I am cheering for you!!!
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Darlene_Oregon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    @AmberlyMarlene I think I can do this. By drinking more the next day is just avoiding the inevitable. I might have to be uncomfortable for a couple of days. But, eventually, it has to be done.
    Please keep up your good work. People like us can't just drink socially.
    Stay Tuned!
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    @AmberlyMarlene and Everyone - I blew it again. I feel bad that I gave in. I don't know why Day 1 is so hard for me. I wasn't shaky or anything. Day 1 has always been difficult for me. In the past, once I have one day under my belt, it's usually pretty easy.
    If I'm successful tomorrow, I'll only have five AF days before I have to do my labs. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed. It probably sounds weird to most; but I really don't want my doctor to know that I'm drinking. But I guess it's best to tell them the truth.
    Have a great day!
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Today is day 15 alcohol free. Starting over with diet and exercise today. About a year and a half or so ago, I went a couple of months with no alcohol and dieting and exercising regularly. Lost 20+ pounds, and then one day, decided margaritas would be a good idea. Well, that ended December 3 when I was detoxing so bad I could not hold a glass and was vomiting. I should have gone to the ER but I could not even drive myself.

I guess I am posting this as much for my own sake and sort of a diary to keep me motivated as much as to see if there are others who might need some motivation and encouragement. I will be posting daily so I hope I don't upset or offend. Thanks

I'm praying that you overcome this addiction. Personally, I have never had a problem. I liked a beer now and then and wine on holidays. Fate stepped in, every time I had some wine I wouldn't feel good. Turns out I had a bad case of Diabetes, A1C of 14.7. That's what you get when you are morbidly obese for years. 95 pounds later I'm no longer morbidly obese, I'm just fat. LOL

Keep in mind that you are more important than alcohol. I wish you well!
  • AmberlyMarlene
    Options
    You've got this @Darlene_Oregon! I try to remind myself it's a lot harder to start over back with a day one than keep it going, though I know the first week in general is a difficult one. Hang in there
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    @AmberlyMarlene Thanks! It is a lot harder to start over. For me, Day 1 is the hardest. I start feeling a little bad and I end up giving in and going to the liquor store.
    Today is Day 2. And it's hasn't been that bad so far.
    We're going into town In a few minutes. I thought I'd get a haircut. We have to drive about 15 miles to do much of anything. We do have some shopping, etc in the small town we live in (pop 7000). But not much.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I finally made it to Day 1 Alcohol free! It feels good. Now I'm aiming for Day 2 ๐Ÿ‘Œ

WooHoo, good for you Darlene! I'm so happy to hear that. Keep focusing on the good you're feeling and you'll be able to keep pushing for more days. Hang in there.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69 Thanks! Today is Day 2.
  • lilith40
    lilith40 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    @Darlene_Oregon - that's wonderful congratulations! One day at a time - you got this!!
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    @lilith40, @AmberlyMarlene , @SparkSpringtime69 The liquor store just closed. So this is Day 2 ๐Ÿ˜ I have to keep going because I did my labs today and my liver enzymes and other liver function tests were elevated/off. Also, my glucose level was high - 114 (I never had that problem before). I believe that is pre-diabetic. I see my doctor on Wed and the eye doctor on Thu. I can't remember if you knew. But I've been having vision problems in one eye. I think that is related to the blood sugar issue. So I'm trying to lose weight and getting more active. Losing weight, exercising and eating healthy should help.
  • AmberlyMarlene
    Options
    @Darlene_Oregon I had similar labs. Everything to do with my liver was in the "bad" area and as a trickle effect I have bad cholesterol too! Darn. It's no fun, but it is a kick in the butt in the right direction. Have you been having difficulty with sleep? That's my ongoing issue since I quit drinking. Hang in there. Every day you keep it going is a day your body is thanking you, even if it doesn't feel like it haha
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    @AmberlyMarlene The only good part of my labs was my cholesterol.
    As far as sleep, it hasn't been too bad. But I cheat ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    I've had a prescription for Xanax for many years. I don't abuse it and have never had a problem. I'm running low on that because I cancelled my last doctor appointment (I didn't feel like going in because of drinking and being overweight). So the last two nights, I took Unisom. Last night, I woke up at 1:20am. So I took a half of a 0.5 Xanax. And slept until around 8am.
    My doctor is supposed to refill my prescription tomorrow. But, since I'll have to fess up that I have been drinking, he may not refill it. That's why I didn't want to tell him that I fell off of the wagon. So, we'll see!
  • ByeByeToDiabetes
    ByeByeToDiabetes Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    @AmberlyMarlene The only good part of my labs was my cholesterol.
    So, we'll see!

Darlene, I don't know where you live and how old you are, but you might want to try some Magnesium Fizz drink (Calm) at night. It puts my brain hamster to sleep, relaxes me and it helps me to sleep through the night. A lot of women my age use it. Of course there is no scientific proof, but then there was neve a study either because there is no money in it and no money to gain.

Yes, 114 is pre-diabetic but you should get your A1C checked
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    @ByeByeToDiabetes I live in Oregon and am 66 years old.
    Thanks for the info, I will check it out. Magnesium is known to help with sleep.
    I had my A1C checked today. But I don't have the results yet. What are good and bad A1C numbers?
  • ByeByeToDiabetes
    ByeByeToDiabetes Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Borrowed from Doctor Google:
    A normal A1C level is below 5.7%, a level of 5.7% to 6.4% indicates prediabetes and a level of 6.5% or more indicates diabetes. Within the 5.7% to 6.4% prediabetes range, the higher your A1C, the greater your risk is for developing type 2 diabetes.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    @ByeByeToDiabetes I just noticed your post. So I went to the medical center patient portal. And my A1C was 4.8%. So that's good news!
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    BTW - Today is Day 4 Alcohol Free ๐Ÿ˜€
    I can't believe I was having such a difficult time. After Day 1, it's been fairly easy. I know that after a while, I'll be tempted to have "just a few". But I have to remember that it wouldn't stop after "just a few". And my liver really needs some rest and recuperation!
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    BTW - Today is Day 4 Alcohol Free ๐Ÿ˜€
    I can't believe I was having such a difficult time. After Day 1, it's been fairly easy. I know that after a while, I'll be tempted to have "just a few". But I have to remember that it wouldn't stop after "just a few". And my liver really needs some rest and recuperation!

Darlene, you're doing great!! Happy to hear your A1C is normal.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    How's it going @Darlene_Oregon ?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!