What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Options

Replies

• Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 467 Member
    edited April 6
    Options
    ty @acpgee, good info. It was 1st time i made excess ~ fun to try different places. Those dishes look nice, with real ingredients. Hope they were good.
  • Veta2018
    Veta2018 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I went bowling with my husband and I bet him if I get a strike I get to have sushi.
    a5ofc3bmgcot.jpg
    g0ujmxqlqrg7.jpg
    xkby1dzhvl6p.jpg
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,625 Member
    Options
    My Bengali neighbours came distributing boxes of food in celebration of Eid. I added carrot rapee for something raw and fresh as well some potato pave that needed using up.
    k2piudc0e0vv.jpeg
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 1,852 Member
    Options
    @acpgee How kind of your neighbors! Are you friends with them, or is this something they do for all their neighbors?
  • acpgee
    Options
    @acpgee How kind of your neighbors! Are you friends with them, or is this something they do for all their neighbors?

My husband has only met the man of the house in passing on the street, so we don't know them. They were distributing food among all their neighbours as that is apparently the Eid tradition. Despite surely having Muslim neighbours and colleagues in the past, I never knew about this part of the post Ramadan celebration.

I was grateful so that when I baked some dutch gingerbread (=ontbijtkoek) yesterdy, I did an extra loaf for them. I think to make it up to them I will bake an extra batch of anything I bake for ourselves. I don't bake that often though, to be honest. Maybe we should bring them an occasional loaf of bread. We have a bread maker, and fresh bread is now our go to hostess gift instead of wine, chocolate, or flowers.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Air fryer imitation KFC from the Chicago Tribune recipe. Green salad, air fryer roast Belgian endive and oven chips.
    ez9143ijnv1q.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Attempted to recreate something I once ate at a restaurant. Oatmeal risotto made with dashi and cream cheese served with fried sea bream and skin crisped up separately in the air fryer. Side of sea bream tiradito which was seared tataki style. I forgot to photograph the salsa verde which gave a fresh acidic accent to the risotto and roast Belgian endive.
    qj5vgsxjlp8k.jpeg
    dhd445a9e4ig.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    @mjbnj0001
    In Holland at this time of year celeriac would be an indispensable ingredient in snert (=split pea soup). My Dutch hubby always complains if I skip it.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    @mjbnj0001
    In Holland at this time of year celeriac would be an indispensable ingredient in snert (=split pea soup). My Dutch hubby always complains if I skip it.

Very interesting. I was going to add a pea soup to my "soupJanuary" rotation, but didn't. While peas are an essential food group in an of themselves to me, my wife isn't overly fond.

I found a vegan snert recipe I might give a try, since I do have a bag of dried split peas ... https://www.stirlinghealthfoodstore.co.uk/recipes/16237/dutch-split-pea-soup.htm

I'll let you know how it turns out.

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,263 Member
    Options
    A new favorite of mine is split pea and barley soup. It's really easy to make. I add a LOT of garlic, a couple carrots, a chopped onion, and a hot chile. I think last time I added a few mushrooms. A pound of peas a half cup of barley, and of course a bunch of cumin and some bay leaves from my yard. I use Better Than Bullion instead of salt. I usually add sage.

Cook the peas, barley, bullion, and bay leaves about 20 minutes, then add all the vegetables & herbs/spices, and cook another 25 to 30 minutes. That's it. Adjust salt to taste. Very hearty, and not low-calorie, and very delicious.

I've never added celeriac, but it would probably be good! I bet if you wanted more meat, some smoked ham would work well, but I just make it meat-free.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    edited April 11
    Options
    Lunch - shredded cabbage and carrots sautéed with garlic oil, ginger, turmeric and soy sauce, a squirt of sriracha and a sprinkle of black sesame. Yummy and satisfying for under 300cal
    vc192b72cdgs.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Lunch on the London/Toronto service in Economy with Air Canada.
    ehwdzf5ngpbn.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    @mjbnj0001
    Classic snert is garnished with celery leaves instead of parsley. I’ve never had it served with cheese which the Dutch hubby snorted as being ludicrous. Recipe looks pretty good otherwise. A test of good snert is that a wooden spoon should stand up in it. Vegetarian bacon bits might be a more traditional tasting vegan substitute than tofu.