Out of my good habits

Options
Ever since I had my knee replaced and couldn't jog anymore, my exercise and eating habits have suffered. I can't get motivated.
Tagged:

Replies

• MaeesaAHHH
    MaeesaAHHH Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hello there, don't lose hope. I have joint problems and have had to completely redo my workout routine due to joint issues, and I've started losing weight too. I've got loads of MFPers on my list who, like me, have joint problems or auto immune diseases that create mobility problems for them, and I haven't been short of motivation. You are fixating on what you can't do any more, but you're forgetting that there's still a lot you can do. Gentle pilates, isometric workouts, strength training in line with your physician's advice, walking, swimming, cycling, low impact aerobics. The world can be your oyster
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Ever since I had my knee replaced and couldn't jog anymore, my exercise and eating habits have suffered. I can't get motivated.
    A knee replacement should have fixed your knee pain. And you don't have to jog to get fit or lose weight. Walking alone is exercise if done intently.
    But I get that when you lose routines, and go the opposite route, it can be challenging to get back into the groove. Figure it will take you a month of consistent behavior to get back there again. Not a week, not two weeks, but for a month.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you really want to run, you might look into rebounding. A good quality rebounder will allow you to run in place. Google youtube achampion rebounding for some ideas.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for me, it has taken me over a year to get my range of motion “back” (never back to normal). Healing was a slow process and I constantly worried about my muscle atrophy and what my range of motion would end up being. 18 months later I’m back on track. You’ve got this.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    No need to start with running. Did you have physiotherapy, and are you still doing your exercises? Is it time for more advanced ones?
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Look into Farmers Carries. Lighter weights for distance. No need to run.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited April 13
    Options
    I haven't run since I left the military and no one could force me to run anymore :lol:

I have joint issues. Sometimes I'm sad that I can't do the yoga routine I did 20 years ago, but I do what I can for yoga.

I also do Tai Chi, well, there's a whole list but it's gardening season so I'm going to push away from the computer and burn some calories in the garden.