Carbohydrate difference

Options
We use MFP to input my wife’s food intake so we can easily calculate the carbohydrates in the food she eats. She is diabetic using insulin so obviously she needs accurate carb data to know how much insulin to inject.
We use both the iPhone and iPad app to input the data. I’ve noticed today though that on one food item at least, the carb data is actually 5g higher on the iPhone app as opposed to the iPad app. All the other data is the same, just that one. I’ve tried inputting it on one app, and then the other one and the same problem arises!

Does anyone have an idea what’s going on?

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    That seems very odd because they both pull data from the same database. Make sure you're looking at exactly the same entry. Look in the database and assure that the data are correct for each entry.

It might be possible if she has a premium account that you're looking at net carbs on one and total carbs on the other?
  • bobstonier
    bobstonier Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So she’s on the basic membership (not premium). As far as I know the two apps are setup the exact same way.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    What about the other possibility: For sure, there are multiple entries in the MFP food database with the exact same name and default quantity, but different nutritional details.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. I just checked by sheer coincidence and realized that there's a difference between the iOS app and the website. On the app my dinner is 560kcal, and in the website 558kcal. Small difference, yeah, and it might very well be due to how both handle rounding. I can't see in the app what the macros are unless I delete breakfast and lunch, but yeah, certainly a small difference.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get a math discrepancy between the iOS app and the website, but not for any individual food or meal or activity. It's only ever one calorie difference. I track how close I am to my goal as part of an ongoing challenge in a fun group I participate in, and I've noticed some days I'm one calorie closer to or farther away from my goal depending which platform I look at. It matters not unless it literally pushes me past my cutoff for scoring a point which is to be within 10% each day and 5% average for the week.

I don't track carbs per se, so I've never even looked. Still seems really odd, and if there's a MAJOR difference, then a help request to staff is in order. That would be the only way to get them to know it's going on and find a fix. I'd recommend you do that @bobstonier
  • bobstonier
    bobstonier Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    What about the other possibility: For sure, there are multiple entries in the MFP food database with the exact same name and default quantity, but different nutritional details.

It’s exactly the same entry. The wife is logged in on both. We input the food item onto the iPad usually and it automatically appears on the iPhone. Both are using the iOS app so I assume both will be getting data from the same place.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    bobstonier wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

It’s exactly the same entry. The wife is logged in on both. We input the food item onto the iPad usually and it automatically appears on the iPhone. Both are using the iOS app so I assume both will be getting data from the same place.

In that case, I think it's a "contact support" issue. You can reach them via the Help function in MFP. That's truly bizarre.