Under desk 'walking pad' (treadmill)

Options
Storytime!
In a past life (my entire life into my early-mid 30's), my weight was never a major issue - sure, there were times I needed to lose a few pounds, but I'd just cut back on the eating out/candy/pop and it would fairly easily fall off. I had active hobbies (still do), but also had active jobs. Fewer injuries as well, although those aren't a serious excuse.
Then, many moons ago (over a decade ago) I got my first job that had me sitting on my rump more often than not, and after that job, it's been straight up desk jobs ever since. My weight (rather quickly) jumped up. My eating habits (and my appetite) never fully adjusted - I've tried to lose weight and have yo-yo'd regularly after I hit a high point and couldn't fit into any of my "fat" pants even with a belt holding them closed.
History has shown me that activity - or a lack thereof - is a major factor for me. My appetite doesn't increase much with significant activity increases, but it does NOT adjust down - ever. Never has. This has created a constant battle of hunger vs what I actually "need" and, well, the hunger has generally won out over time. Wish that wasn't the case, but that's what history proves.
I KNEW I needed more activity in my life, but adding in MORE activity (aka time) was simply proving to be nearly impossible. So, after seeing a previous coworker, and then a client, who were there on our teams meeting on their little under desk treadmill, it finally dawned on me that would be an easy way to up my activity without taking extra time out of my day.
I picked one off Amazon, and it arrived early this week - holy smokes, I'm not on it all day (mostly during meetings or tasks that don't require too much clicking and typing since I'm still getting used to doing that while walking), but even with that, my step count is blowing me away. NO WONDER I piled on pounds with the infamous desk job!!
In a matter of a week I've gone from averaging 5-6K (without extra exercise added) steps a day to over 15-18K everyday - and that while I've been fighting off a head cold and still walking slower on it since I'm still adapting to being on it.
I knew the desk job definitely affected my activity - not like that's a secret - but I really didn't realize it was that drastic of a difference.
Whether this translates to maintainable weight loss or not (along with kcal tracking and other good habits I'm prioritizing) remains to be seen, but it certainly can't hurt!
Only issue is I do get a little sweaty LOL

Replies

• LianneOConnor2024
    LianneOConnor2024 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Was thinking of getting one of these. You may have convinced me!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Was thinking of getting one of these. You may have convinced me!

Now that I've been using it a week, I'm adapting pretty well and getting better at working while walking and have been able to up the pace a bit more. Today it looks like I'll end the day with over 20K steps, and no "extra" time carved out of my already full days!

I'm wishing I had tried one a long time ago!
  • KOOLSMILE
    KOOLSMILE Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am looking to get a machine as well. Thanks for the inspiration.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    These "steps" are nowhere near as beneficial as actual walking. Better than nothing however a step on one of these is not the same
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    These "steps" are nowhere near as beneficial as actual walking. Better than nothing however a step on one of these is not the same

Why is that?
  • TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »

Why is that?

With regular walking you have to propel your body forward. With a treadmill it does some of that for you. Different muscle groups.

But, consistency is most important of all. A walking pad definitely helps there.
  • ddsb1111
    Options
    TracyL963 wrote: »

Why is that?

With regular walking you have to propel your body forward. With a treadmill it does some of that for you. Different muscle groups.

But, consistency is most important of all. A walking pad definitely helps there.

So it’s any treadmill, not specifically this type. Makes sense, thank you.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Why is that?

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. You still have to propel your body forward on a treadmill. If you don't, you'll fall off the back. I can see how walking in place might be less energetic since you aren't moving yourself forward, but on a treadmill you are. It's just that the sidewalk is going the other way. It's like, if you could close the moving sidewalk at an airport so you didn't crash into anyone, you could walk at some pace going the wrong way and not go anywhere. You're still moving with respect to the ground below your feet, but just not with respect to the wall you're next to. A dreadmill is really just a moving sidewalk that you can change the speed of as well as give it an incline. Just like running up the down escalator has you going up stairs even if you don't progress to a higher elevation like a regular set of endless stairs.
  • TracyL963
    Options
    mtaratoot - there's some balance to maintain on a treadmill for sure. But, you're not actively pushing off (maybe that's better than saying propel) because the "ground" is moving beneath you.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    An under chair walking pad is not a treadmill. When on an actual treadmill or actually walking you're supporting your body weight, propelling forward and engaging far more muscles rather than just sitting there moving your legs. Better than nothing but definitly not the same as upright walking.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    mtaratoot - there's some balance to maintain on a treadmill for sure. But, you're not actively pushing off (maybe that's better than saying propel) because the "ground" is moving beneath you.

I don't agree with that premise.

You are actively pushing off. If you didn't, you'd go backwards and fall off the treadmill. Think about my moving sidewalk scenario. Walk in the opposite direction that the moving sidewalk is going. You have to push off or you go backwards. The treadmill is nothing more than a very short moving sidewalk.

If you walk in place in your living room, you don't move forward. If you do the same movement on a treadmill that's moving, you will move backwards. You have to walk forward even though your body doesn't go anywhere.

Imagine a giant conveyor belt down the street in front of your house that's moving at 3.5 mph. Imagine you jump on it and walk at 3.5 mph. You won't go anywhere, but you are still walking. They use dynamometers to test power output and fuel efficiency of automobiles. Those cars don't leave the dynamometer, but it can still measure the same ground force that would be felt on the highway.

What am I missing here?
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    An under chair walking pad is not a treadmill. When on an actual treadmill or actually walking you're supporting your body weight, propelling forward and engaging far more muscles rather than just sitting there moving your legs. Better than nothing but definitly not the same as upright walking.

This makes sense.

If you were strapped in to a harness system that supported your weight and dangled you at the exact height that your feet could touch a treadmill, you'd still be moving, but not walking. If you're walking down the sidewalk or on a treadmill, you're walking.

The treadmill can be easier on your joints. Running on turf or a dirt trail is also easier on your joints than running on the sidewalk. Allegedly it's easier on your joints to run on tarmac (asphalt pavement) than on concrete (sidewalk).
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

I don't agree with that premise.

You are actively pushing off. If you didn't, you'd go backwards and fall off the treadmill.
    Right? LOL. put a treadmill on an incline and tell be you aren't pushing off.

• TracyL963
    edited April 14
    Options

I don't have a treadmill anymore, or a walking pad now.

But, the way I understand a walking pad is it's essentially a less sturdy treadmill. You do stand up and walk on a walking pad (maybe it has incline, maybe it doesn't) but you are walking on it......albeit very slowly.

A treadmill allows you to walk briskly, change incline and even run/jog. Back when I did have a treadmill, I was always told that it's not as good as a "real" walk because the treadmill is doing part of the work for you.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    If you hold on to the rails of a treadmill, then you might not be getting the same physical exertion as walking. Some treadmills have heart rate monitors, and if you use them and allow them to support ANY of your weight, then yes - you're not getting the same exercise as walking. Keep your hands off, I can't see that there's any way that the treadmill could do work for you.

How would it work otherwise? Where is the energy transfer? What work is the treadmill doing? When you go for a walk, you pick up one foot, move it forward, and put it back down. You move your body forward. Your entire body moves forward. When you walk on a treadmill, you pick up one foot, move it forward, and put it back down. You move your body forward. Your entire body sort of goes forward and backward because the ground is falling backwards so to speak. Here's another example that doesn't quite fit but might shed light. Imagine a sliding board at an incline. Imagine wearing shoes that have a hard, flat sole. Imagine that you attach waxed paper to the bottom of the shoes so they don't get much traction on the slide. You walk up the slide. Well, you don't really because with every step you slide back to your starting point. You're still walking up hill the same as if you were walking up a real hill of the same incline with shoes that don't slip.

And to the OP; if your desk is already set up for standing, you still get some benefit over sitting if you're not on the treadmill when you need to run your keyboard. I bet over time though you can find a speed on the treadmill that will still let you use the computer effectively while still moving slowly. Speed it up when your work allows.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I would love to get one too!
    But I think you need to have a standing desk for this to work - otherwise I don't think I can reach the keyboard while walking on the walking pad.
    And where I work, you can only get a height-adjustable desk if you have a certificate from a doctor that you have back problems. As if it wouldn't make sense to allow people to get a standing desk to *prevent* back pain in the first place...
  • ddsb1111
    edited April 15
    Options

When I googled under desk walking pads or treadmills I saw basically regular treadmills just a little more compact. Many of them even have inclines. I would consider these treadmills, maybe I’m seeing the wrong thing. I didn’t see anything you use sitting down if that’s what you’re saying.

Agree with you @mtaratoot, I’m trying to wrap my head around it as well. Considering the belt is moving backwards you have to go against the grain so to speak which is much harder than something that doesn’t move or moves in the same direction, so I’m not sure why it’s considered “easier”. Just having a hard time visualizing how you’re not propelling and not working as hard. 🤔 Especially if your hands are typing, which means you’re not baring any weight for support.

OP, I’d love to see what you purchased. Can you provide an image or link?
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options

When I googled under desk walking pads or treadmills I saw basically regular treadmills just a little more compact. Many of them even have inclines. I would consider these treadmills, maybe I’m seeing the wrong thing. I didn’t see anything you use sitting down if that’s what you’re saying.

Agree with you @mtaratoot, I’m trying to wrap my head around it as well. Considering the belt is moving backwards you have to go against the grain so to speak which is much harder than something that doesn’t move or moves in the same direction, so I’m not sure why it’s considered “easier”. Just having a hard time visualizing how you’re not propelling and not working as hard. 🤔 Especially if your hands are typing, which means you’re not baring any weight for support.

yes I was thinking of another type. The ones that I believe was being referring to is where you’re standing are pretty cool however I’d guess they’re only good if you aren’t using the keyboard.

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options

yes I was thinking of another type. The ones that I believe was being referring to is where you’re standing are pretty cool however I’d guess they’re only good if you aren’t using the keyboard.

Why wouldn't you be able to use the keyboard? We have a lot of people at my university that use walking pads at their desks. It hasn't seemed to have any effect on their productivity. From what I understand, it often improves it.
  • TracyL963
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    If you hold on to the rails of a treadmill, then you might not be getting the same physical exertion as walking. Some treadmills have heart rate monitors, and if you use them and allow them to support ANY of your weight, then yes - you're not getting the same exercise as walking. Keep your hands off, I can't see that there's any way that the treadmill could do work for you.

How would it work otherwise? Where is the energy transfer? What work is the treadmill doing? When you go for a walk, you pick up one foot, move it forward, and put it back down. You move your body forward. Your entire body moves forward. When you walk on a treadmill, you pick up one foot, move it forward, and put it back down. You move your body forward. Your entire body sort of goes forward and backward because the ground is falling backwards so to speak. Here's another example that doesn't quite fit but might shed light. Imagine a sliding board at an incline. Imagine wearing shoes that have a hard, flat sole. Imagine that you attach waxed paper to the bottom of the shoes so they don't get much traction on the slide. You walk up the slide. Well, you don't really because with every step you slide back to your starting point. You're still walking up hill the same as if you were walking up a real hill of the same incline with shoes that don't slip.

And to the OP; if your desk is already set up for standing, you still get some benefit over sitting if you're not on the treadmill when you need to run your keyboard. I bet over time though you can find a speed on the treadmill that will still let you use the computer effectively while still moving slowly. Speed it up when your work allows.

Thank you - I'm glad to know this. It makes sense. Back when I used a treadmill, I always felt that it was somehow less than. Now I don't even remember who used to tell me otherwise.