Shirataki noodles

Options
I've never tried these but looked them up on our data base and they're really low cal. Can anyone give me some feedback as to how they taste compared to regular noodles. They're not available in the small town where I live and I'd have to drive for 2.5 hours to Toronto to pick them up, so need to know if it's worthwhile.

Replies

• satterlm
    satterlm Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i have some in my fridge but have yet to try them. I wouldnt drive the long way to get them tho, u can purchase online, yes they are a little more money, but i would think better than driving the long distance. my friend said they are a little more "chewier" and it is better if you rinse them and boil. and she liked the fettichini noodles the best
  • bubblie117
    bubblie117 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    They are AWFUL! The texture is rubbery and there is no flavor... I have texture issues but my mother who has none couldn't even swallow them. Some people can handle them obviously though lol.
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My husband loves them. He's on a no carb ketotic diet and he eats them instead of spaghetti and he says you can't really tell the difference if you cook them right. They are chewier like al dente pasta, which is how we prefer our pasta anyway.

See if you can order them online so you don't have to drive so far.

Good luck! :)
  • DiamondDi56
    Options
    I love them! They are great in a stir fry. You can find them in most Asian supermarkets. I get them at Oceans.
  • TOgal
    TOgal Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Very tasty with cayenne and curry, basically add flavour and veggies :)
  • mfsjala
    mfsjala Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    They are definitely low in calorie, but the texture was pretty rubbery - almost to the point of squeaky. I tried them once and didn't think they were really worth eating, but I'm sure there are plenty of people that like them. .
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I love them. Rinse really well and cook according to the package!
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    You should give jellyfish a try. It looks like noodles and they are a bit crunchy. It sounds so weird, I know...just try it.
  • 23wife
    23wife Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    We use them at least once a week! Love them as a low cal/low carb alternative to noodles. We use them in spaghetti, stir fry, all types of things. You have to rinse them really well and don't over cook them!! They just need a super quick warm up. If you cook them too long they do turn a little rubbery but they shouldn't be too rubbery. They 're tofu so they take on the flavor of whatever you cook them in which makes them very versatile. I'd highly recommend them!!!
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    the Shirataki Tofu noodles I really like. there is something called the miracle noodle that are similar but I dont like those be sure of what you are getting. The tofu takes the flavor of what you have put them in so something like spaghetti sauce works well. I especially like to make chicken parm with them. You do have to get used to the texture but just remember to give them a chance! Rinse them well and there are recipes at http://shirataki-noodles.recipesilove.com/ you may have to adjust them to make the recipe lower fat/calories but it will give you some ideas.

Good luck!

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Winstonandgilly
    Options
    There's two different brands: Shirakiku and Shirataki that both make the same type of no/low cal noodles. The Shirakiku yam noodles are what I typically use, because the packages are larger. I rinse thoroughly, drain, and cook on high with Pam and low sodium soy sauce. I think they're delicious and don't mind them at all. I eat them with chicken, veggies, salmon, you name it! They're a great substitute and make you feel fuller longer.
  • phlumpet
    phlumpet Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've tried these and I simply cannot stomach them. I'm the type of person who has to finish everything on my plate and despises throwing out food, but I had to throw them away. They smell like fish, and the rubbery texture is disgusting! I can't do it.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I've tried these and I simply cannot stomach them. I'm the type of person who has to finish everything on my plate and despises throwing out food, but I had to throw them away. They smell like fish, and the rubbery texture is disgusting! I can't do it.

You may not have rinsed them enough..... yes, the brine stinks.. but with good rinsing, that goes away.....
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    You should give jellyfish a try. It looks like noodles and they are a bit crunchy. It sounds so weird, I know...just try it.

Ive had a Jellyfish salad with daikon/carrot threads, a little seaweed, wasabi oil, Tonkatsu sauce... OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BABY!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options

Mine never smell! I always rinse, boil and drain and they never smell after.
  • sonjalucia
    sonjalucia Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    To whomever said they cannot tell the difference between pasta and shirataki??? NO WAY! LOL.

But yes, I LOVE LOVE These! Just bought 3 packs tonight at Safeway. The linguine noodle looks like it could substitute in a pad-thai dish.

Nummmers...

But no, does not even begin to taste like real Italian pasta - nice try ;)