Quick and Easy Flavored Rice

Options
flowergirl829
flowergirl829 Posts: 157 Member
Any suggestions would be helpful, since I haven't really been much of a rice eater; I have cooked Rice-A-Roni, but most of those are probably too much. By the way I tried Minute Chicken & Herb Seasoned Rice that was in these little single servings containers that you can microwave supposedly.....wrong it almost blew up my microwave!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    If you're not much of a rice eater, I'm not sure why you're looking for rice recipes? Not my business, though.

One option would be to cook rice in broth, stock, or bouillon, and/or use an herb blend (one of the premixed ones to keep things easy).

Rice does take time to cook, but one option is to cook a bunch and freeze portions. Thawing in the microwave works fine.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I use the 90-second rice packets. Currently I have wild rice, brown rice, cilantro lime rice, Spanish rice, chicken rice, regular rice. By far the best way to get variety without a lot of cooking or storage.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If you're not much of a rice eater, I'm not sure why you're looking for rice recipes? Not my business, though.

One option would be to cook rice in broth, stock, or bouillon, and/or use an herb blend (one of the premixed ones to keep things easy).

Rice does take time to cook, but one option is to cook a bunch and freeze portions. Thawing in the microwave works fine.

This.

One tip that works well is after you bring the rice to a simmer is to put it covered in a 350 oven for 15 minutes, works well and allows another burner to be available for another task.
  • mleimbachmk
    mleimbachmk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Use a rice cooker: any rice you like rince the rice one cup of rice add two cups of water add a clove of garlic, a stem of rosemary and sprinkle with soy sauce or any spices you like!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    If you have access to an Asian supermarket try furikake. That is a seasoning mix Japanese parents sprinkle on white rice to get kids to eat plain rice. Typically contains seaweed flakes, sesame seeds, salt.
  • flowergirl829
    flowergirl829 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

If you go back and read my post again I said I haven't been much of a rice eater meaning in the past, but now since I'm on 1200 calories a day I thought I'd incorporate some rice in with chicken; I just wanted ideas for some tastier rice or suggestions for good rice period...lol...and really some for people losing weight. Thank you for your suggestions, though.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Rice, couscous, quinoa, pasta.. all comes down to about the same calories. Some people find one type more filling than others. Try it out. Otherwise rice doesn't really need a bit of taste other than salt if it's not one of those microwave things. But you can try different thinks: sumac, herbs, garlic, seeweed, smoked paprika... really depends on how you spice your chicken and whether it comes with a sauce/marinade or not.
  • nella2302
    nella2302 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like to season my rice with a little cumin, tumeric, and seasoned salt.
  • Latrellis
    Latrellis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    cumin (lots), garlic, diced onions, thyme, salt, little cayenne, and butter, wonderful. Can also add black beans, corn, and some diced tomatoes
  • lakegirl57
    lakegirl57 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Go to Allrecipes.com and search MawMaw's chicken and rice casserole. Make it healthier by 1) adding some broccoli or other veggies, 2) using cauli rice and 3) making your own sauce instead of using cream of crap soups. You could eliminate/reduce the topping and use a small amount of cheese sprinkled on top. The kids love it and have no idea it's healthier.

Instead of soup, make the sauce by making your own. Make it like a gravy using good butter, oat flour and almond milk. Make it as thick as you need for the amount of chicken and rice you have. This is a very quick sauce for casseroles and much healthier. There are also other recipes out there similar to this. This one is easy for me and using ingredients I always have on hand.
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 209 Member
    edited April 18
    Options