Life is hard, Food is comforting: Emotional Eater New to MFP

Options
My name is Courtney and I'm an emotional eater. I'm cribbing from a twelve-step because emotional eating is an addiction. And, if I'm going to break this pattern and control that addiction, i realize that I need support.

I'm a thirty-one-year-old mother of a sixteen-month-old son, whom I adore. I am his primary caretaker, as my husband's an attorney who works long hours. I am also currently writing a dissertation and hoping to earn my PhD in May 2013 and we've just moved to a new state. In short, my life is stressful, but I am proud of my son, my husband, and my work.

Time for a confession: I did not "walk" when I received my MA because I didn't want to wear the gown (which is, let's face it, a shapeless moo-moo that adds at least twenty pounds to even the tiniest of frames and about fifty to mine). After the years of work I have put in to earning my doctorate, i really want to walk. I want to look at those pictures daily, rather than bury them in a box..

Probably more tragically, though, is that I'm always the one behind the camera taking pictures of my son rather than with him. I regret daily that there are little more than a dozen photos of the two of us; I regret feeling the need to avoid the camera. I would like to change this; I would like to feel comfortable in front of the camera for his sake as much as for mine.

The ridiculous part is that I'm not morbidly obese, I'm not really even obese, I'm just overweight--I'm a size 14. It's just that i've ALWAYS been overweight, I've always dieted, I've always yo-yo'ed and it's ALWAYS bothered me, so the extra 10 remaining from pregnancy (STILL!) just adds insult to injury. And, I want to be in control, to have a support system here, to reach my goal weight before considering having another child, so I'm not "here" again.

To be the best mom I can be, the best wife, the best grad student--I need to feel better about me.
Thanks for "listening."

Replies

• aurorasangel2000
    Options
    Welcome :-) You'll definitely get support here, the people are amazing, and the good thing is that you've decided to take the first steps! Good luck on your journey, feel free to add me :-)
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i understand. you can control what and how much you eat! you can do this!
  • mccrockl
    mccrockl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Although I walked for my MA I looked huge! I have hidden or deleted the pictures. I wanna take a million pics in my doctoral robes when I get there and look good!
  • rodeferh
    rodeferh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You have come to the perfect place! I have only been here for 3 weeks, but I love it! Welcome and good luck. Feel free to add me :)
  • keenslk
    keenslk Posts: 126
    Options
    Good luck Courtney.. your journey starts now. You can do it! remember everytime you want to emotional eat 'that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels'

Welcome to MFP... I'm sure you will love it and become an addict. :D
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be very sharp here and perhaps you're not going to like it but...

There's no such thing as food is comforting! Point!

Food serves one purpose only and that is to keep you alive. You should only eat when you're hungry and stop when you're no longer hungry.

You may find comfort in food in the split second you eat that icecream but whatever problems are troubling you tend to return when the ice cream is finished don't they? So there is no comfort, there is no solution.
    Get out there, and tackle the problems. Solve them one by one, work on them, face your fears! You're stronger then you think, there's nothing we can't do if we set our minds to it and take action... so the next time you're facing a big problem, instead of picking up a packet of chips, get up from the sofa and face it, find a way of resolving it once and for all. I can guarantee you that the resolution of each of your problems will be much more comforting then any food you may have.

Good Luck!
  • sharifit53
    sharifit53 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Myfitnesspal is an effective tool for the emotional eater, especially if you are using the phone app. The phone (eg your friend) is always with you. You can always "talk" to it by logging your food. It "listens" and "replies" by giving you feedback. Talking to "it" can be talking to "us" your friends to whatever degree you desire.

Feed free to friend me if you like!
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm the same size and age as you and working toward a degree (not a PhD thou-be proud) and have 5 children. I have been on MFP for awhile and lost weight...stopped and gained it all back. I started taking time for myself and put the kids in childcare while I work out. I have gotten to know the other women in Zumba, Yoga and Pilates and have gained friends (workout buddies). Maybe you could try group exercise, as I know it works for me. Remember to take time for yourself and you will be a better wife and mother because you won't carry all the stress and anxiety with you. Take care.
  • Gazer362
    Gazer362 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi Courtney. I can totally relate - I am a serious emotional eater as well. I made a committment to myself when I joined this site in August that I would not quit. I will not allow myself to go over my calories for even one day, and I will exercise every day. So far so good with both goals. I plan a "treat" for each night. When I feel the urge to eat from my emotions (bored, tired, happy, sad, etc) I think about my treat and try to "delay" my eating until then. I'm hoping that over time I will slide into this becoming a habit and essentially re-training my mind to stop reaching for food when I'm experiencing emotions. You'll get a lot of support from people here on MFP. Keep trying until you find something that works for you! Good Luck!
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am a mom of a 7 month old, and I have been on here for about two weeks or so (already seeing results!) I have found that logging in every day, being totally honest, having some friends who can see your diary (so that you are accountable), and changing my habits slowly, one at a time, is working well! I have tried a number of times to lose weight, but this time feels different. I tend to eat for emotional reasons as well, but connecting to others (and knowing that they are there to support you, answer your questions, cheer you on, or lend you a hand up when you stumble) seems to be just what is needed to overcome emotional eating habits...

Good luck on your journey - if you'd like support from a fellow mom, feel free to add me.