How long have you hung on to your oversized clothes?

Options
My closet is full of clothes that are four and five sizes too big but I'm having such a hard time letting it go. How long have you kept your oversized clothes?

Answers

• Darlene_Oregon
    Darlene_Oregon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    @4tammysstone - I'm presently only 10lbs down from my heaviest weight. So I currently don't have any clothes that are too large.
    What I intend to do as I lose weight is keep the clothes that are one size too big. But, donate any clothes that are two sizes or more too big.
    I know that we could gain again and wish we had kept our bigger clothes. But, I'm 66 and I don't ever want to be this big again. Not only is it unhealthy. But I've been having difficulty doing just daily things that we all take for granted.
    Well, that's my two cents. Let's see what other people say 😕
  • AmyDahlTorres
    AmyDahlTorres Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    When I approached a new season, I'd check sizing and set aside. So essentially, once season, per year. Your loss in weight is someone else's gain in their closet. Don't forget to check shoes; your feet shrink too!
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Ok, you don't want to hear this, but I'm 70+ pounds down from my highest weight and I still own every piece of clothing I did when I started this journey back in 2012! And some I still wear. Why wear a nice pair of shorts outside to weed the garden or mow the lawn? I'll just throw on some over sized stuff, which will soak up more sweat, and my nice stuff stays nice! Ooo, I LIE! I did toss my underpants, they simply wouldn't stay up anymore. And maybe an exercise bra here or there that stretched out to the point they no longer hold the girls. But I'm getting ready to get rid of some VERY large jeans, they're roomy enough that I trip on them when I try to wear 'em. But if it makes you feel good, toss some of your stuff. If not, there's no rush. But once you start replacing it all, you'll need to make room and by then you'll be ready to part with some of it. Maybe not all, but at least some. 😉
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    edited April 19
    Options
    I got rid of it as soon as it was too big.

Having too-big clothes hanging around was a tacit permission slip to backslide.

They had to go.

The first goal, I didn’t think I could possibly lose more weight and bought a bunch of clothes to celebrate. Within three months they were swimming on me.

The next two necessary wardrobes, I bought minimum clothes, enough to last me til the next size down.

I went from a 22W to a consistent size 4.

Anything that doesn’t fit has been long gone.

I am never ever going back to where I was, and I don’t need old clothes skulking around. If the waistband gets too tight, I check my numbers, and immediately shift from maintenance back to loss.

BTW, leaving the gym a day or two ago, I got an eyeful of this:

le2ps5trkc5z.jpeg

Husband forgot his boxer and belt for after aquafit. He’s too cheap, lazy, whatever you want to call it to buy smaller pants, despite me begging, threatening and even resorting to making smartarse remarks. I hope the damn things fall down on him some day in a very public place.

Do not yield to temptation to keep clothes that are THIS big on you.
  • leduck1
    leduck1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I kept mine for a year after maintaining a 70 lb weight loss and got rid of them. I have a wardrobe I look good in, enjoy, and that let me know if I gain some weight. I’m not going back!
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,928 Member
    Options
    I still have one shorts outfit I absolutely love and am trying to figure out how to make them work.

The clothes that i wore--immediately. I kept a few big t-shirts, tie them in a knot at the waist, over Jean shorts--that type of thing. Everything else goes.

Still have lots of tops I never wore anyway. Slowly sorting into goodwill, soft rags, and trash piles.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,928 Member
    Options
    @springlering62, looks like you know what to get hubby for Xmas, birthdays, valentine's, etc. For a long time to come.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »
    I still have one shorts outfit I absolutely love and am trying to figure out how to make them work.

The clothes that i wore--immediately. I kept a few big t-shirts, tie them in a knot at the waist, over Jean shorts--that type of thing. Everything else goes.

Still have lots of tops I never wore anyway. Slowly sorting into goodwill, soft rags, and trash piles.

If you don't sew, can a local seamstress/tailor do anything for you, for something you love that much? (It could be easy or difficult, depending on construction details.)
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this topic today. I have a multitude of clothing in my closet of varying sizes, ranging from 1X to small (in tops) to 18 down to a 4 (in pants). I'm hesitant to throw any of my smaller sizes away because I don't know what I'm going to fit into when I get to my goal weight. I'm 61 and my body is shaped different than it was even at 51 (fat in the middle). I used to have a nice hourglass shape; menopause ruined it. Oh well, I'm a work in progress.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    I am still wearing mine and I am almost 90 pounds down in a year. I have started to get rid of some of them just this past week, and started to get some clothing from thrift stores as I still have some weight to lose.
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I am still wearing mine and I am almost 90 pounds down in a year. I have started to get rid of some of them just this past week, and started to get some clothing from thrift stores as I still have some weight to lose.

90 pounds down!? It's time. Surely your clothes don't fit. Smart getting thrift store clothes in the interim.

I'm 5 pounds down from my starting weight. I see the difference in the mirror. My clothes are a little bit looser but not enough to go to the next size down. Looking forward to that!
  • Veta2018
    Veta2018 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm down almost 50 pounds now. Last year, I got rid of all my small summer shorts. I didn't plan on losing weight at the time, because they were cute and I would be able to fit in them now. I recently got rid of lots of winter clothes that were too big. I kept the smallest ones and bought a couple smaller sizes from the resale shop to hold me over. I don't plan on purchasing new clothes till the next season. Then, I plan on getting rid of all the old. Bras, and underware will also need replaced.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    lisakatz2 wrote: »

90 pounds down!? It's time. Surely your clothes don't fit. Smart getting thrift store clothes in the interim.

I'm 5 pounds down from my starting weight. I see the difference in the mirror. My clothes are a little bit looser but not enough to go to the next size down. Looking forward to that!

I am cheap, and frankly, I work in a setting where I have just been waiting for my new work clothing to arrive from this years ordering. It just did, so I have new work clothing. I also have some other stuff from the thrift store now (picked up this week), so when I need to look good, I can. As for mucking around at home, I will stick to the oversized stuff for now, as I said, I am cheap and clothing really isn't that important to me.
  • terrila2018
    terrila2018 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My aunt used to say the downfall of healthy bodies came with the invention of "rubber clothing" that stretches to fit many sizes. You can gain several pounds before you get serious about the problem. When you get used to being comfortable in the stretchies, it's hard to go back to fitted clothing. I'm trying to embrace normal jeans again instead of leggings that masquerade as jeans with a long shirt to cover the belly. When your jeans are feeling tight, you know the scale will confirm what you suspect.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    My aunt used to say the downfall of healthy bodies came with the invention of "rubber clothing" that stretches to fit many sizes. You can gain several pounds before you get serious about the problem. When you get used to being comfortable in the stretchies, it's hard to go back to fitted clothing. I'm trying to embrace normal jeans again instead of leggings that masquerade as jeans with a long shirt to cover the belly. When your jeans are feeling tight, you know the scale will confirm what you suspect.

Yet ironically, so-called "rubber clothing" is IMO the ideal thing to buy from those thrift stores once the big clothes get unacceptably loose, but there's still quite a bit of weight left to lose.

Things like drawstring pants, a-line or other loose dresses (perhaps with tie belt), tops and tunics that are a tiny bit snug or close to that now (with maybe a bit of stretch) but in styles that will work as looser tops or tunics as one becomes smaller.

Once goal weight arrives, sure, go with the structured clothes for both a trim look and a check on regain.

The lighter a person becomes - at least in women's sizes IME - the fewer pounds between sizes.
    I needed to buy some dress pants for an event when I was getting close to goal weight, so ended up buying new. Even though I was intentionally losing quite slowly by then, in a month those pants were sloppy-big, not wearable for similar occasions.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!