How long have you hung on to your oversized clothes?

Options
2»

Answers

• exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I had a really hard time letting some things go for fear of failure. I felt "safe" to purge some things at approx 40 LBS gone but could have done it at 30. It took until then to buy anything new, even though my family had been making frumpy comments about my clothes lol:). I was still super cautious for fear of failure, not to mention women's sizes are vastly different from brand to brand or cut to cut. I still sometimes look at my smaller fitting clothes and go, "I wonder if it will still fit?" It does and in that moment, you need to acknowledge it does and will again the next time you wear it because you have lost weight for real and are actively pursuing loss. Hang in there, its sooooo worth it to try on that first really great fitting garment and then make room for it in your closet by purging the one that just doesn't fit anymore!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,300 Member
    Options
    I vote you get rid of them asap. I know money could be an issue for some here. But.. i see so many before and after photos of people wearing the same clothes .. and it hardly showcases their success. Baggy old worn clothes don't work.. and even if they're in good shape.. it makes the person look heavier. Get rid of them..buy something that fits and is flattering and don't look back.
  • I7300
    I7300 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I kept my old clothes for a while, I knew I went down a size and stayed like that for a bit but financially I just couldn't buy new clothes.... I decided to make a change when everything was looking extremely baggy and not fitting well, which made me feel worse...so just went for it and bought more fitting clothes... got rid of the old ones now.
    Worth the money spent on it to be honest.
    Jeans are a bugger as they aren't the cheapest and having to buy new pairs sucks since they are very hit and miss with sizing.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,705 Member
    Options
    I vote you get rid of them asap. I know money could be an issue for some here. But.. i see so many before and after photos of people wearing the same clothes .. and it hardly showcases their success. Baggy old worn clothes don't work.. and even if they're in good shape.. it makes the person look heavier. Get rid of them..buy something that fits and is flattering and don't look back.

This. My husband showed me a photo of his cannon crew from a reenactment this weekend. Reenactment gear is pricey. His philosophy is “they had to wear the same gear regardless, so can I.”

His was all 2X and he’s down a size or two. I thought it was a photo from a couple of years ago, he looked so big, and I had to delicately extricate myself from what promised to be a big wifely faux pas.
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    As I lost weight it took some time for me to accept that this time it was for good. I ended up keeping one size larger than I was wearing and donated the rest.
  • mkksemail
    mkksemail Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I did not get rid of as many as I should have, and I spent the winter expanding back into them. Ditch them :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options

I agree about the baggy clothes for general wear out and about. But I figure people often may wear the same clothes for before and after photos to highlight the difference in how they fit?

I kept some of my old workout leggings to wear around the house, after adding a drawstring to the waist. The fit is baggy . . . but it's kind of gratifying to realize that that floppy fabric around my thighs used to be tight, filled up with fat. :grimace::smile:
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It's been up and down for me. When I first lost weight back in 2007 I didn't hold on to any of my oversized clothing. They looked bad on me at that point and I wanted clothing that fit. I have since regained some and lost it again.

I've noticed that there aren't a lot of clothes that I wished I had held on to ( for any reason or any size). I am now in a losing streak again and just dropped a size from Medium to Small. I tried on clothes yesterday and thought it wouldn't make a difference but the Small looks better and fit better. If you lose weight and go down a size, you want to look good. Don't keep your closet full of things that don't flatter you. If there are some pieces you really love, have them tailored to fit your current size. Donate or give away the rest.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Darlene_Oregon Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    To all the women out there. I don't buy women's clothes. No I'm not gay (not that that would matter). It's just that a pair of women's pants have a 20" waist and 50" hips. What's up with that? Plus, I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but the quality of women's clothing is not as good as men's clothing. And, women's clothing is more expensive. I mainly wear shorts and casual clothing. Men's medium fit me fine.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    Not a good answer to your question, but: I'm holding on to my boot camp uniform, and my 1989 NYC Marathon t-shirt hoping to again one day proudly rock these duds.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Darlene_Oregon Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    @chris_in_cal Sounds good to me! I actually have quite a few clothing items that are older than most people on this site. But they're memories. You have to hold on to them. They make me smile 🙂
  • JamesArthur3933
    JamesArthur3933 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I agree about the baggy clothes for general wear out and about. But I figure people often may wear the same clothes for before and after photos to highlight the difference in how they fit?

I did something a bit different. Just before I started going to the gym, I bought one of those 'Athletic cut' vests that was maybe 3 sizes too small for me. Took a photo from the side, It's really not very flattering but one day, I'll put it back on to see if it looks any better on me.

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    With the exception of a few sentimental items, I got rid of pretty much everything two sizes or more too big as I lost. I replaced things as I lost by going to Goodwill and other thrift stores so it wasn't expensive. Oh, I also kept my largest shirt and largest pair of pants just to remind me how far I've come.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,686 Member
    edited May 28
    Options
    Not a good answer to your question, but: I'm holding on to my boot camp uniform, and my 1989 NYC Marathon t-shirt hoping to again one day proudly rock these duds.

My piece of clothing from days gone by that I’m hoping to fit into again one day is a the that says “If you’re really a goth, where were you when we sacked Rome?”
    That fit me perfectly the very first time I lost a bunch of weight. I am very much looking forward to rocking it again.

There are two items I will be hanging on to forever I don’t care how baggy they get:
    1) Some fluffy Jammie pants that are the most comfortable ever. I’ll just replace the elastic waistband.
    2) A Tshirt from the punk band (word that means soft and also means cat, which got censored by the algorithm so I have edited to make it as clear as possible which specific punk band I am referring to) Riot. It’s a limited run, no longer available. It’s Barbie pink, with an extremely rude Russian word (an insult about someone’s uh…. ::kitten:: )in pink glitter across the front.
    Every once in a while I wear it to the VA and someone who understands the translation gets a huge kick out of it.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,705 Member
    edited May 28
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I did something a bit different. Just before I started going to the gym, I bought one of those 'Athletic cut' vests that was maybe 3 sizes too small for me. Took a photo from the side, It's really not very flattering but one day, I'll put it back on to see if it looks any better on me.
    I did the girly girl version with a way-too-small pencil dress I spotted at TJM.

I hung it sideways in the closet so I had to move it every time I got dressed. I talked to it. We developed a relationship. I worked my way from a 22W down to a size M and proudly wore it to an event.

It’s too big now, but stupid as it sounds, that was probably one of the best goal methods I had. I keep that dress in the closet, not because I want to go back “up” to that size, but to honor how useful it was to me, and what a friend it was during the whole process.

And it never talked back, never made fun, never once said “you’ll never wear me”. It was silently supportive.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I was relatively slim until I turned about 54. I'm 60 now. I haven't purchased that many good fitted items that fit me at my largest , mostly leggings and knits so I think there won't be much to purge. That said I have an entire closet full of size 4 items that I couldn't part with. hopefully i'll be wearing some of them in 70 days.
  • 1ns1d3_0u7
    1ns1d3_0u7 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've boxed up most of my stuff to donate. I've kept a few things just to keep as reminders.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!