I Think I’m Accidentally Body Recompositioning

Options
Hey all, I’m a 24 yo. 6’ male and I’ve been consistently working out for about 3 months now, I know that’s not a long time in regard to my overall goal of losing 70+ lbs. I workout 5-6 times a week. This consists of a 30 min warmup on the stairmaster at level 5, a cooldown/finisher on the treadmill at 10 incline & 3 speed, and weightlifting, which changes depending on the day. As of now, I have 2 cardio heavy days, 1 leg day, 1 arm & chest, 1 arm & back & 1 home workout (normally hiit and/or Pilates) while remaining in a calorie deficit with a focus on high protein. I haven’t lost any weight but my clothes are fitting better which is a plus. I’m currently 260 lbs & my goal is 190 lbs over the course of a year or two. I’m trying to stay confident and motivated but it’s really discouraging when I feel like I’m not making any progress. Am I doing anything wrong? Is there something in particular that I can improve on?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Leo_King84
    Leo_King84 Posts: 246 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You said you've just started working out. In the first 6 weeks you will easily make gains, even in a deficit because it's all new to your body and it has to adapt.

If your weight is the same but clothes fit better than you've gained muscle and lost fat. Muscle is denser and heavier than fat.

Answers

• Dakyrae
    Dakyrae Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    30 min on the treadmill as well*
  • Dakyrae
    Dakyrae Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I also drink plenty of water and get plenty of sleep. I feel like I’m doing everything “right”. Maybe it’s just my body combating me?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited April 21
    Options
    To begin with: hats off! At your age, I resigned myself to being obese instead of engaging in anything other than spasmodic short term attempts at getting some random "exercise" or weight loss in.

You are entering this with a commitment to progressing over a year or two... which is approximately 21 to 22 months more than anything I had the foresight to consider at your age!

So don't be a me who resigns to being obese and out of shape till you wake up at 48+

Now. Some things for you to consider: even what you're doing now is yielding results: your clothes are fitting better. And I bet you already feel stronger too.

But let's move on and consider: Optimum direction of effort, Big bang for your bucks, Pacing, and least and last... motivation.

You're talking about losing weight (70lbs). But you're mostly describing (and based on the observation that people talk the most about what they consider to be most important) you're putting most of your effort... into exercising.

Exercising is very important. And I will come back to it. But weight management is purely a numbers game. Truly. The numbers have many "gotchas" and potential issues. And the approach to hitting them is far from easy and is also full of issues and "gotchas". BUT. Longer term. Your weight 100% changes on the actual effective balance of Calories In vs Calories Out as counted by your body!

You mention staying in a deficit and focusing on protein. But in trying to lose 70lbs (actually a bit more than that) but in trying to lose a lot of weight my own paragraph regarding what I was doing re my caloric balance would be the 60+ words you used to describe your exercise. And my discussion re my exercise would be the 12 words you used to describe your eating! :wink:

Exercise is independently good. Exercise does increase calories out MAYBE. Certainly while exercising you burn more calories. But there may also be a compensatory reduction in calories out during the rest of the day because you're now a bit more tired which would decrease the net effect. NOT saying exercise bad. To the contrary. But trying to lose 70+lbs on exercise is a hard path to follow!

That said. with 70lbs to lose and a real deficit in the 250 to 500 Cal range (0.5 to 1lb a week range)... after three months you should have noticed some movement to your scale.

It may help you a lot to plug your numbers into happy scale (iphone) or libra (android) or trendweight or weightgrapher or similar, or into a spreadsheet that considers weight as a moving average.

Now. Your exercise. I will let others comment more. But to me it sounds a bit fragmented.

I am not sure how much time you're actually spending on all this over your 5 to 6 days a week. There may be ways to design a program that maximizes the benefits you get out of your gym time investment. I don't know if you had help in getting your current program designed... and I do not know enough to tell you if it sounds right other that it sounds a bit... unfocused to me!

Long term you have to be doing things that you believe you have the time and inclination to keep on doing. i.e. you should be looking for ways to lose weight and to exercise that you will keep doing afterwards when you're trying to maintain the new body you've created. Which is why I "freeze" when I see someone talking about needing to be motivated to do what they're doing now. If you need motivation it doesn't quite sound as if you've found your long term solution yet.

Do consider that many people don't actually need to go to a gym to get some basic level of cardio in. Even moderate things such as walking (especially if you're carrying your groceries!) can be "elevated" into basic cardio. And then there are clubs, groups, activities, a lot of stuff that is physical that can be done both in and out of the gym. It ALL counts. Some, of course, more so than other.

Anyway. To your "burning" question: it does sound like you may still be eating a few too many calories to notice the consistent weight loss you seem to be looking for.

Given your age and the fact that way too many people try too much, burn out, give up and enter into a negative cycle, I really do like the fact that you appear to be taking a longer term view and are willing to go at it with a slower pace approach.

But still a 0.5 to 1lb per week of body weight reduction would have you losing a good 6.5 to 13lbs over the three months. And if you're not hitting that level of weight trend change you do need to look into your caloric intake and whether you can reduce your count of calories in while still getting nutrition and satiation. Everything you eat or drink counts.

I hope to see you many posts and your successes over the next few years!

Cheers!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    edited April 21
    Options
    From what you describe, yes, it sounds like you are recomping, and eating more than you think, which is extremely common. We can help if you let us by sharing your diary.

In the app, go to Settings > Diary Setting > Diary Sharing > and check Public.

Desktop: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

ETA: oh, it's already open, great, I'll take a look. Maybe @PAV8888 and others will take a look as well.

Second edit - no need Pav, the answer is clear.

@Dakyrae - I went back a week and see that you are clearly not logging everything. Start there :smiley:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Something odd is going on with your exercise burns.
    • On April 17, you have 370 calories for 30 minutes of walking at 2 mph. I put in your stats and gender and get 147 calories.
    • However, I get 69 MORE calories for your "Stair-treadmill ergometer, general" on April 16.
    • For the HIIT on April 13, I get 324 calories for 30 minutes. You got 458.

Maybe @PAV8888 and others will take a look.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited April 21
    Options
    @kshama2001 I was already responding anyway! :blush:

So yeah... basically logging is quite incomplete.

Also I notice you're logging exercise on MFP and also connecting to the apple watch. This has a high probability of confusing the poor things that are always having a hard enough time keeping track of each other!

Make life simple for your technology...

just log all calories IN on MFP.
    And log all exercise and activity (calories OUT) on the apple watch/apple app what have you.

Then let the two exchange info and tell you how much to eat!

Then, assuming you've logged EVERYTHING (which "cough cough" you don't seem to be)...

compare your weight trend to your expected results over several weeks... and adjust
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Weight not changing in three months means you're eating at maintenance.

Do better with your logging, i.e. everything you consume or drink that has calories, and that's your maintenance level. Then you'll want to drop 500-1,000 per day from that. With 70+ pounds to lose, you can get a lot of calorie savings just from reducing or eliminating snacks like Cheetos.

You're probably getting some noobie muscle gains. It's fine to focus more on cardio currently, though see above about the calories in part of the equation. As you saying goes, you can't out-exercise a bad diet.

I recommend you look into a more structured lifting program like Strong Lifts, and do your cardio on different days, or if same day, do it hours later. Aside from a 10-min cardio warmup before lifting I mean.

If you're lifting hard regularly with progressive overload, aim for 0.7g per pound protein, so about 180g currently.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    At your weight you want to see the scale moving downward. Hit muscle groups 2x per week.

Keep it up you have the right attitude which is 99% of being successful
  • AnitaLambert
    AnitaLambert Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Eating clean, as natural as possible will be a huge help. I had the best results when I really logged my food, higher in protein. I've been told to eat as many grahams of protein as I want to weigh. I lost all my weight that way. Unfortunately, I've gained back because I quit logging & eating right. I am trying to get back on track, it's a daily struggle for me but hoping going back on the Premium MFP is going to help. Summer is coming & I have nothing to wear. GOOD LUCK!