GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    Today was week two of the bench triplet protocol:

10x3x190 (64% 1RM)

Another day without difficulty completing all my reps. I've decided to give my joints a break by converting all my 5x5 sets into either 3x10 (push) or 4x10 (pull, legs) while I'm following the triplet protocol (I just love that word lol). Should last at least 3-4 months before the weight gets too heavy to complete multiple triplet sets, at which point I will reevaluate my 1RM.
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,366 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck at a bench 1RM of 125lb for YEARS. YEARS I SAY!

I finally broke the 1 plate barrier!

Hell to the fn yeah!!! 1x140lb!
    (I tried 145 and didn't quite get there... But let's not be greedy 😂)

vfip6whde6wb.gif

I screwed up my 1rm testing for squat. I miscalculated and put too much on the bar before I was ready. Had to bail (but got it eventually). Still I only matched my last 1rm of 245lb. I might have been able to get 250lb, but not after that mishap.

415aik4bl3q0.gif

fjzziwvcjfso.gif
  • nossmf
    Options
    A pair of 1RM's in the same day??? Pity you didn't complete the powerlifting trifecta with a deadlift 1RM as well!

What's your three-lift total up to? 140 bench + 245 squat + 250 (IIRC) dead = 635?
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    edited April 24
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    A pair of 1RM's in the same day??? Pity you didn't complete the powerlifting trifecta with a deadlift 1RM as well!

What's your three-lift total up to? 140 bench + 245 squat + 250 (IIRC) dead = 635?

140 + 245 + 305 =690 😁

I was originally going to do deads as well, but it was already almost 930 and I had to work the next day. 😊
  • nossmf
    Options
    My apologies for short-changing your dead numbers! 🤩

Yesterday after work was leg day, did the same lifts as I've been doing 5x5 for but dropped 20% off the weight and did instead 4x10. (Except the leg press, where I kept the weight the same but used both legs instead of just one leg.) First leg day in a while I've felt like crawling towards the locker room after...
  • Leo_King84
    Leo_King84 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    First proper session with new 1rm weights. Pretty impressed at the gains AND I've lost 1.5kgs in the same month of training like this.8zbri9svece3.jpg
    o5duc28r6ser.jpg
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    My apologies for short-changing your dead numbers! 🤩

Yesterday after work was leg day, did the same lifts as I've been doing 5x5 for but dropped 20% off the weight and did instead 4x10. (Except the leg press, where I kept the weight the same but used both legs instead of just one leg.) First leg day in a while I've felt like crawling towards the locker room after...

Uh oh... Sounds like someone might be gravity falling onto the toilet today! Haha

Well done! And no worries for short changing my deads. They weren't offended! 😁😁
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Leo_King84 wrote: »
    First proper session with new 1rm weights. Pretty impressed at the gains AND I've lost 1.5kgs in the same month of training like this.8zbri9svece3.jpg
    o5duc28r6ser.jpg

Great work!! Though 5 sets of a 1rm is pretty darn impressive on its own! When I do my 1rm, that's pretty much ALL I can do... Just one. Lol
    Options
    So, seems i can gradually start building back up my strenght again.
    Did not much today, because i do wanna slowly build it up

And wanted to see how my deadlifts would feel today.
    So after my warmup sets i did 4x8 at 60%

Then 3xF for tricep push downs and 3xF for cable rows

That was it, so like i said, not much, but i really wanna my back time to heal up.
    Slow and steady wins the race
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    So, seems i can gradually start building back up my strenght again.
    Did not much today, because i do wanna slowly build it up

And wanted to see how my deadlifts would feel today.
    So after my warmup sets i did 4x8 at 60%

Then 3xF for tricep push downs and 3xF for cable rows

That was it, so like i said, not much, but i really wanna my back time to heal up.
    Slow and steady wins the race

Yeah Gus! So good to see you coming back!! ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ You're doing it the smart way!
  • Leo_King84
    Options
    o5duc28r6ser.jpg

Great work!! Though 5 sets of a 1rm is pretty darn impressive on its own! When I do my 1rm, that's pretty much ALL I can do... Just one. Lol

Well they're not thorough 1rm. Really I should work up using the 1.25 kg plates and 2.5kg plates... but I'm male so just throw on 10, if I lift it then add another 10, if I fail the previous was my 1rm 🤣🤣🤣
    Options
    o5duc28r6ser.jpg

Well they're not thorough 1rm. Really I should work up using the 1.25 kg plates and 2.5kg plates... but I'm male so just throw on 10, if I lift it then add another 10, if I fail the previous was my 1rm 🤣🤣🤣

This kinda does sound like ego lifting, and ultimately i think it will stop your progression much sooner, than when using smaller plates.

I have even 0.125kg plates in my bag, just so i can make progression on some exercises. Because even how little that may seem, it's still progress. And it does add up the long run
    Obviously i do not use the 0.125kg plates on barbell, i use them to microload on cable stations

• Leo_King84
    Options
    o5duc28r6ser.jpg

This kinda does sound like ego lifting, and ultimately i think it will stop your progression much sooner, than when using smaller plates.

I have even 0.125kg plates in my bag, just so i can make progression on some exercises. Because even how little that may seem, it's still progress. And it does add up the long run
    Obviously i do not use the 0.125kg plates on barbell, i use them to microload on cable stations

Ego lifting and laziness.

When I hit that point of failing progression I'll change my methods again, until then 10kg increments ftw!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    o5duc28r6ser.jpg

When I hit that point of failing progression I'll change my methods again, until then 10kg increments ftw!

In my judgement, that large of a jump is just reckless and asking for injury. Maybe I'm too risk and/or injury averse but I don't think I've seen anything more than 2.5kg recommended for a lifter beyond introductory gains. Even starting strength maxes at 10 lbs increments (4.5kg), if memory serves, and that's only for squats and deadlifts.
  • Leo_King84
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    o5duc28r6ser.jpg

In my judgement, that large of a jump is just reckless and asking for injury. Maybe I'm too risk and/or injury averse but I don't think I've seen anything more than 2.5kg recommended for a lifter beyond introductory gains. Even starting strength maxes at 10 lbs increments (4.5kg), if memory serves, and that's only for squats and deadlifts.

If I start to feel any tweaks, joint pains, etc I'll slow it down. Tbh as I just started training like this I know I have a few weeks until my body settles and gains start to slow down so I'm just kinda making the most of these first 6 weeks.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    o5duc28r6ser.jpg

If I start to feel any tweaks, joint pains, etc I'll slow it down. Tbh as I just started training like this I know I have a few weeks until my body settles and gains start to slow down so I'm just kinda making the most of these first 6 weeks.

Excuse me if i misunderstood your post but you have a good foundation if you’ve just started training. If those gains are newbie gains they should continue for longer than a few weeks. Enjoy that while it lasts my friend.

I hope you remain injury free. Those PR’s will slow as your body makes those first adaptations to this new stimulus you’re putting it under. As you settle into your routine you will learn what works for your body. Just stick with it.
  • Leo_King84
    Options
    o5duc28r6ser.jpg

Excuse me if i misunderstood your post but you have a good foundation if you’ve just started training. If those gains are newbie gains they should continue for longer than a few weeks. Enjoy that while it lasts my friend.

I hope you remain injury free. Those PR’s will slow as your body makes those first adaptations to this new stimulus you’re putting it under. As you settle into your routine you will learn what works for your body. Just stick with it.

Oh no, I've been training on and off since my 20s. I always did hypetrophy training. This is my first real committed strength training period.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    o5duc28r6ser.jpg

Oh no, I've been training on and off since my 20s. I always did hypetrophy training. This is my first real committed strength training period.

Ok… I hear ya brother.

Lump me in with most of the other posters here. If I was pushing a true 1RM I wouldn’t be able to hit that for more than a couple sets with extended rest periods between sets.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Somebody used to doing sets of 10-12 who is now doing committed sets of 1-3 will likely not know exactly what weight to use, so the ramp up period is expected the first few workouts.

Leaps of 10kg at a time is a tad bit risky, but so long as form is strictly maintained, I don't see why not. The main reason to recommend against it is for people who actually are close to 1RM, the form breaks down and invites injury, but in Leo's case he's not actually at (or necessarily even near) his 1RM, so with the room to spare he's good to continue. The 1RM he's recording above are paper maxes, not actual maxes; he'll discover his true max soon enough, at which point he'll beg for 1kg improvements at a time and miss the days of 10kg jumps! lol