Macro calculators

Options
I am new . I am trying to learn about counting Macros

Answers

• BlkBltCoachVic
    BlkBltCoachVic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Did you ever get your question answered? I had the same issue...
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 843 Member
    edited April 27
    Options
    What is your question exactly? Can you provide your stats, if you set up your goal in MFP, what you’re trying to achieve (weight gain, loss, maintenance, health, etc), how long you’ve been doing this, and how you’re logging?
  • jdboggs101
    jdboggs101 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can help! I do nutritional coaching and would love to get you set up with macros and goals. If you’re interested, shoot me a reply.
  • BOsbourne
    BOsbourne Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am trying this app again. No matter how hard I try I am always over on carbs and fat and low in protein. Any suggestions??
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,089 Member
    Options
    BOsbourne wrote: »
    I am trying this app again. No matter how hard I try I am always over on carbs and fat and low in protein. Any suggestions??

Where's the beef? Lol. I always ❤️ that commercial.

Egg whites are easy. Protein shakes are good. Protein bombs, like deviled eggs with meat in them, or chicken or ham salad with lots of hard cooked egg whites. Cottage cheese. Yogurt. Cheese if you shop carefully. As you add lean protein, you'll automatically reduce fat and carbs.

Are you sure you really need and want to raise protein?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    edited April 27
    Options
    The MFP default macros aren't a terrible starting point for most generally-healthy people, as long as they don't try to cut calories silly-low for fast loss. There's no getting adequate nutrition on too few calories.

It's never necessary to be exactly exact on macro goals every single day. Pretty close, on average over a few days, is fine. That's especially true if weight loss is the key goal.

Protein and fats contain essential nutrients (that our bodies can't manufacture out of anything else) so we need to eat certain minimums of those. Carbs are more flexible (because our bodies can manufacture carb-equivalents, basically). It's OK to be over on protein or fats or both, within calories.

If persistently quite low on protein or fats, work on tweaking routine eating habits to improve that. As long as not already diagnosed with a serious deficiency or relevant health condition, a person has some time to tune in those values.

IMO it's good to focus on altering habits - routine eating patterns - so one need not anxiously micromanage details each day long term. (I'm glad I took that approach when first starting out. I barely need to think about it now, the majority of my macro goals just happen without much attention because of my routine habits. BTW, that doesn't mean I eat exactly the same foods every day. That would ugh, to me.)

I'd note that counting calories while watching macros, or counting macros while watching calories, gets a person to about the same place, as long as the person selects accurate food database entries.

That's because each macro has an approximate characteristic calorie level. Protein and carbs are about 4 calories per gram, fats about 9 calories per gram, and alcohol (which is not strictly a macronutrient but has calories) about 7 calories per gram.

This thread should be helpful with protein:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Long run, it would be better to estimate your protein and fats minimums in grams based primarily on goal body weight, but it's not essential to do that from day one. Putting another conceptual barrier on the path of getting started is optional. The starting priority is to start logging food, to get a general idea of how you're doing now on the most important goals, even if the starting goals are more approximate. It can be overwhelming to try to fix everything at once, and it's not essential.

As an aside, I'd suggest exercising caution with people who say "send me a message with your questions". Why would they not post questions and answers out here in MFP-public, where many people could benefit? They may be just fine, but it's also a behavior used by some "coaches" who are really selling something, like supplements or exercise programs. Those people know they'll get shut down if they market things openly here, because it's against the rules.

Please note that I don't claim to be any kind of credientialed expert myself, just a long-time MFP-er who's done a lot of reading and experimenting to get my own nutrition to a point where I feel good about it. I lost weight fine, and got my health markers (blood pressure, various blood test values, etc.) off the brink of Really Bad to consistently good levels these days.

Best wishes for success!
  • AlexandraTichy2024
    AlexandraTichy2024 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi im new here , lets get friends 😊