Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Discouragement sets in

I did my 3rd weigh in today. Last month I lost 4.3kg and it was going so well. This month I did get very sick for a week and struggled to get back into exercise after I recovered (it felt like I was starting over again) but I did it and showed up every day, even if it was only for 15 minutes. I've been tracking my calories and was under 9 times out of 10 and when I was over it was never by more than 200.

And yet, I've lost maybe 0.5kg this month. My measurements look good and I'm trying to hold on to that, but damn why is this happening. I worked so hard and nothing? This is why I've failed previous times. I feel like no matter what I do this is just going to be me.

I'm going to continue on this journey, because I have to for health reasons and regardless of what the scale says, I do feel better than I did before I started. But I'm scared and upset.

Replies

• rhymeswithspleen
    rhymeswithspleen Posts: 4 Member
    Are you weighing monthly? My weight fluctuates so wildly depending on the time of the month, my sodium intake, hydration levels etc — if I had weighed in only on April 1st I would have thought I had gained a pound in March despite being really consistent with my nutrition and activity. I have to weigh every day to see through those +/- 3lbs swings to see the overall trend.

It sounds like you’re doing really well. You’re feeling better and managed a small loss even during a month you were sick. That’s so awesome!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,169 Member
    You’re letting the number control you. Carry on!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,312 Member
    The problem with weight as a measure of success, especially short term, is that there are so many things that can increase weight even while fat has gone down. This is particularly true for women especially during child bearing years. Water weight is usually the big culprit. Things like your monthly cycle, too much sodium, and new or significantly more intense exercise which result in your body retaining water to help repair your muscles can all affect weight. Since you said you had to restart exercise after a lay off due to health issues, my guess is you are retaining water. This is especially true if your measurements are going down. Trust the process. This is a long-term thing, not a sprint. You can do this.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,636 Member
    Being sick in itself can add some water weight until fully recovered, in addition to what others have said. Increased water retention in certain situations is going to happen, and (unless there's a serious health condition) water weight fluctuations are part of how a healthy body stays healthy. Our bodies know what they're doing. We don't want to try to meddle in that. The right answer is to wait it out, and it will drop off eventually.

This thread, especially the article linked in the first post, gives some good information (maybe reassuring) about why the scale can be a lying liar that lies temporarily ;) :

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683010/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-fluctuations/p1

Hang in there. High odds things will work out fine with a bit more time. Patience is hard, I do understand. :flowerforyou:

Best wishes!
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 491 Member
    Vernichie wrote: »
    I'm going to continue on this journey, because I have to for health reasons and regardless of what the scale says, I do feel better than I did before I started.

That's the most important part. This goes far beyond the approach of this being a cause & effect experiment. The new you depends on you sticking to the new lifestyle for the long term. It's a slow process, but its always worth it.