Dukan Diet vs. Calorie Counting

Options
Just wondering whether the Dukan Diet is better versus Calorie counting and which has the quickest results?

Replies

• russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who's made it work, but lots who have simply by calorie counting. And I'm not just saying that cos it's French!
  • nixy2k
    Options
    I did the dukan diet for a few weeks and struggled with mainly eating meat because I'm not a massive fan so I got very bored. The results are quite good but you have to stick to it rigidly for a long time if you have a lot of weight to lose. I think both work it just depends which suits you best.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    if Dukans Diet limits what you can it in any way, then i would go for Calorie Counting , it about a healthy life style not a "diet" i have what i want to eat just less of it.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the Dukan diet is, but counting calories and changing to a healthier lifestyle will maintain you in the long run. Diets don't work a lot of the time, because people can't live the rest of their life on one specific diet.

Good luck though! With whatever one you chose! :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i would go for calorie counting as part of a healthy lifestyle over a diet any day... however if you want quick results, do for something like the master cleanse, or grapefruit diet!!
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    my friend is currently on week 2 of the dukan diet and has lost 11 pounds... but she loves meat .. i personally dont agree with diets... i stick to eating healthy and watching my calories. I have also read that even though the Dukan diet maybe a quick fix as soon as you go back to normal eating your weight comes back ...interesting post :)
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    if Dukans Diet limits what you can it in any way, then i would go for Calorie Counting , it about a healthy life style not a "diet" i have what i want to eat just less of it.

I like this!
  • Dander
    Options
    I've been on the Dukan for ages and it's really working for me. The weight has dropped off me (and I didn't have much to lose so I thought it would be difficult). I don't feel hungry at all and I have plenty of energy. I hate calorie counting. For me, it's more what you eat rather than how much of it.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Yeah, skip the fad diets and go straight for the calories. Those little units of energy are always there no matter what bizarre way people think up to convolute it. Dukan diet is about making money. MFP is free.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    i wanted to refrain from using the word stupid, but I looked over the Dukan's food list and yeah it's a bit stupid. I can't imagine how much meat one person could eat, or have access to for that matter, I'd think you would be pretty bored eating meat all day, and with other limited choices. calorie counting for the win :)
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Yet again common sense!
  • lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options

I like this!

Ditto!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as any "diet" vs "calorie counting".

A "diet" may dress things differently, provide mind games to help keep you on track, etc, but in the end, it's ALL "calorie counting". The laws of thermodynamics do not cease to exist, just because you give an eating plan a name.
  • mrshickey
    Options
    Dukan diet every time.

Counting calories kids u into thinking your not dieting ' i can have what i want in small quantities'! thats funny, cuz certain calories affect you differently than others so im not convinced thats tru. also, if ure still having to limit something then its a diet. i limit carbs, fat, sugar and sodium-calorie counters limit these and/or other things- its the same principle really.

u have to like meat and/or fish tho or it wont work.

just my personal opinion bt i cant see whats wrong with eating a high protein, low fat low carb diet. to much fat isnt good, starchy carbs are unnecessary- you get carbs from the veg and dairy you can eat, as well as the oatbran each day. if u follow dukan diet you dont put weight back on- most people who put weight on think that they can eat like they did before. u just cant. with any eating plan. healthier eating habits are a lifelong thing, whatever diet u follow. i know many people who reached and maintained their tru weight for yrs and are still thin.

ive done calorie counting, but for me, it wasnt working.

overall tho, its personal choice- u have to do what works for you!!!!! everyone will have opinions on this, lol!!
  • mrshickey
    Options
    Yeah, skip the fad diets and go straight for the calories. Those little units of energy are always there no matter what bizarre way people think up to convolute it. Dukan diet is about making money. MFP is free.

you can use free websites to follow the dukan diet so it doesnt have to be about about money atall. MPF is free just as the dukan diet website i use.
  • spalfrey
    Options
    I feel 50/50 on this.. I loved the Dukan diet a kick start in my weight loss but I soon plateaued and reverted back to calorie counting as a more realistic lifestyle choice. Still keep the protein high and carbs low as a general rule. : )
  • hopeforsuccess
    Options
    Thank you all - I love MFP, everyone on here is so nice and informative. Thanks again:-)
  • hopeforsuccess
    Options
    Thank you all - I love MFP, everyone on here is so nice and informative. Thanks again:-)
    Still don't know what to do though, as I too am 50/50 but I am not really a meat lover so think I will do calories for a while. Besides which, my husband has now banned me from talking about diets as I never seem to stick to them so now I will and I'll show him!
  • Teddyaderwich
    Teddyaderwich Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm two weeks into the Dukan Diet and not finding it a problem at all. I borrowed the book from my local library and read it cover to cover so I understood the full principles.

I love the fact that all the protein you eat is lean, add in any type of fish, low-fat diary, oat bran and veg and can't say it's a problem at all.

I also track my calories and find it very very easy to stay within the recommended limits for calorie counting. 1200 a day for me. When calorie counting alone I was always starving - so for me personally that never worked.l In fact for first time ever I sometimes struggle to clock up anywhere enough calories... A real first for me.
  • hopeforsuccess
    Options
    I'm two weeks into the Dukan Diet and not finding it a problem at all. I borrowed the book from my local library and read it cover to cover so I understood the full principles.

I love the fact that all the protein you eat is lean, add in any type of fish, low-fat diary, oat bran and veg and can't say it's a problem at all.

I also track my calories and find it very very easy to stay within the recommended limits for calorie counting. 1200 a day for me. When calorie counting alone I was always starving - so for me personally that never worked.l In fact for first time ever I sometimes struggle to clock up anywhere enough calories... A real first for me.
    Oh, I see - you've been clocking your calories as well on the Dukan then? I think I will re-start tomorrow then. Just that I had really bad mood swings! But I can overcome that and remind myself that I am a nice person :-)