How to get out if plateau

Options
Hi I was wondering if anyone has any ideas how to get my body to loose wieght faster ? I eat pretty good I'm clocking in around 20,000 steps a day & I'm drinking 9 glasses of water each day.I can't seen to get below 213.4 pounds..Im definitely feeling frustrated..I also stick around 16,000 calories generally or lower ..Thanks

Replies

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    How long have you been stuck? How much weight have you lost so far and over what amount of time?
  • Supermama31
    Supermama31 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well I was 245 last August, and it's just been the last couple weeks that scale isn't dropping.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,724 Member
    edited May 4
    Options
    Assuming a common weight loss trajectory over the past 8 months you're operating at this time closer to 250Cal a day that at 500Cal a day of effective deficit (given an average loss over the 8 months showing about 460Cal a day on average)

At 250 Cal a day you don't see losses with the naked eye. There is too much noise with other things that affect our weight. Fire up a weight trend app.

Also review your logging, calories estimated for both in and out, vigorousness of exercise as you're hiting the 3-4 hours level of activity, and as a mom licks, sips, tastes and bites that may not be making it in the log.

The water, truly, is a preference, and once sufficient base level for health has been reached beneficial only in so far as it is helping you control the balance of your Calories in vs out.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited May 4
    Options
    If you stopped losing fairy quickly it's probably your homemostatic system retaing water to balance out the fatloss. If it slowed then stopped then you may be at your new maintenance calories which will necessitate a lowering of weekly calories. Give it 2 weeks more and if no loss then it looks like you'll need to reduce calories somewhat
  • asmokegars1
    asmokegars1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was down 50 lbs and plateauing. Changed to a low salt (under 1000mg/day) focusing on whole foods. Down another 9lbs in two weeks. Also allowed me to get off a diuretic.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    "Im definitely feeling frustrated..I also stick around 16,000 calories generally or lower ..Thanks"

Unless you made a typo, that number is the answer to your problem... :D
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,160 Member
    Options
    I was down 50 lbs and plateauing. Changed to a low salt (under 1000mg/day) focusing on whole foods. Down another 9lbs in two weeks. Also allowed me to get off a diuretic.

For other people reading this: some people need to eat low sodium for health reasons, but certainly not everyone. Sodium is an important electrolyte, less than 1000mg a day would be too low for some (many?) people. I know I'd be at high risk of fainting eating that little sodium.
    Also: decreasing sodium intake decreases water weight, nothing to do with fat loss.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

For other people reading this: some people need to eat low sodium for health reasons, but certainly not everyone. Sodium is an important electrolyte, less than 1000mg a day would be too low for some (many?) people. I know I'd be at high risk of fainting eating that little sodium.
    Also: decreasing sodium intake decreases water weight, nothing to do with fat loss.
    Yep

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    "Im definitely feeling frustrated..I also stick around 16,000 calories generally or lower ..Thanks"

Maybe.
    Maybe not.
    Completely depends on OP’s size and activity level.

OP mentions 20k steps daily. That’s a lot of walking, and suggests OP is pretty active. If OP is also taller than average, 1600 calories might still be a deficit (or was a deficit and is now maintenance)
  • Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Maybe.
    Maybe not.

OP mentions 20k steps daily. That’s a lot of walking, and suggests OP is pretty active. If OP is also taller than average, 1600 calories might still be a deficit (or was a deficit and is now maintenance)

1600, sure. 16,000 less likely.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options

Maybe.
    Maybe not.

1600, sure. 16,000 less likely.

Oooop!

That’s gotta be a typo.
    I hope? 😳
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,427 Member
    Options
    I think 16k kJ would be around 3400kcal?