Question for runners

Options
I am NOT a runner, and have never been one. I used to be a college basketball player and have never had to run long distance and have always had to so short sprints, etc. I am now trying to become a runner. I don't hate running, actually I think I've come to somehow enjoy it a bit which I though would NEVER happen. I think I am taking to running because of the amount of calories you can burn doing it. For the last 2 weeks I have been running on an indoor track and have managed to run 4 miles per day (huge accomplishment for me). I can't (or rather, mentally cannot) run the 4 miles straight. I started off running a mile, walking an 1/8 mile lap, running another mile, then 1/2 mile, 1/2 mile until I get my 4 miles in. The last 3 days I have been able to make it a whole 2 miles without stopping. I think I am stopping myself not because I am tired, but because I feel a sense of accomplishment and sort of "give up" and think that I cannot run more than 16 laps straight.

Anyways...enough about my story. The real reason I am posting is because I would like advice from runners on how to force myself to go farther. How to not stop myself at a certain mark? I don't intend to run in any marathons or anything, however I would like to be able to not have to take a walk break in between my running. Any suggestions? How do I change my mentality towards running?

Replies

• liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Bump. Having this same mental block myself!
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    The most I have run without stopping it 2.25 miles. I have been running for a couple years. I have done a bunch of 5k's, one 10k and two Sunday's ago, I did my first Half Marathon. I have to stop and walk... even if it is only for 20 steps (yes, sometimes I count them). When it gets hard, I say "ok, I will walk 20 steps (or 10 or 30 or whatever) and then I will start running again."

I was talking to my boss aboutt his one day and he told me about a guy he met who ran a marathon by running a mile, then walking for 40 seconds. He did the marathon in under 3 hours. So - he was saying, running without stopping to walk a little is over-rated.
  • indie333
    indie333 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    im not a natual runner, its a real struggle :( i do it most days and find if i run outdoors im better (on a treadmill i'll stop because i can) - try and find a nice circular route and tell yourself you've got to be back for a certain time - that way you cant stop halfway round because you've stilll got to get yourself home and if you stop and walk you'll only take longer to get back! :p works for me :blushing:
  • nickfn
    Options
    Couple of things I've heard from other runners that you can try- you could try running at a slower pace so you aren't as exhausted at the end of 16 laps. Even if this means a 12 min/mile pace or whatever...it's all about breaking the mental block of 'only can last 16 laps'. The other thing I might suggest is get off the track and onto a road or trail. I usually run my intervals at the track, but when I do a medium run, it bores me to death. All those left turns :)

Personally, when I am close to exhaustion I keep asking myself, "am I about to pass out? are my legs literally about to collapse from lack of glucose?" The answer is always no. So I keep going. At some point for me running just becomes the acknowledgement that our bodies can far surpass what our brains think they can.

Regardless, it sounds like you have an excellent attitude and I have no doubt you will shatter that 16 lap barrier. Good luck!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    In July I could run about a mile. Monday I finished a 10k (I actually did 6.5 miles)

What I did was set goals... and then proceeded to set those goals on fire.

My goal in month #1 was to be able to finish two miles. Two weeks later I added another mile and was doing 5k. Two weeks later another mile. Etc....

My goal is to get up to 10 miles. I run a 10 minute mile when doing long distance running.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Honestly, anger fuels my running. Like a dark lord of the sith from star wars. I just put it all in there and stomp it to the ground.
    Why not run outside, that would really switch things up.

Your doing running sets then, I don't see whats the problem with that. I don't always run strait though mine. Many times I'll run 5k. walk for 10 min then run another 10 min. I never feel that I'm not a runner or not doing my potential.

So with all that running and breaks. Do you get the runners high? That is pretty intense and can keep me going for a little extra.
  • hobbajobba
    Options
    Hi
    I am a FORMER runner :) I have back and knee problems, as well as asthma, and these things have stopped my running. I completed a half marathon in 2004, but did not really stop running for good until last year. Anyway...just qualifying myself to answer your question! :)

I had to mentally prepare myself to run-even if it was only 2 miles. It helped that I had a friend who also ran, and we were competitive with each other. The best way that I found was to just force myself to work up. Run a mile and a quarter, and then stop. The next time, run a mile and a half, then stop....and so on. Slow your pace if that makes it any better. There are some great running books out there-Hal Higdon and Jeff Galloway are 2 great runners/authors.

I don't know if any of that was helpful or not, but good luck and keep running! :)
  • laz22girl
    Options
    Running is 95% mental. I've been running for 4-5 yrs. I go through periods where the sky is the limits. I also go through periods where I can't push through. I'm in a slump now, and I was having a hard time not stopping after 1 mile, for what, I have no idea. I've done a half before, so certainly I can push through. Well, the last time I went running, I did a different route and didn't look at my garmin. I did not stop until 1.75 miles, but it was only a second. I just kept talking myself through the run. I am doing a 10 mile race next weekend and I'm not as prepared as I want to be, but I intend to talk myself through the race and allow walking breaks.

For you, I think the first thing is to get off of a track! I think I'd shoot myself in the head if I did 16 laps for one mile.

Go outside or even the TM.
  • jsjaclark
    Options
    Maybe try running outside (not on a track) if the weather allows. I personally hate running on a treadmill and running on a track. I like the changing scenery. Don't know if that would help, but just a thought.
  • tmtolbert
    tmtolbert Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i too have recently started running and am training for a 5k in 3 1/2 weeks. i don't know if this is an option for you or if it will help you at all, but one of the things i have discovered is that i can run farther and longer on the treadmill than i can outside or on a track. so i have begun to have "treadmill" days and "outside" days. having my treadmill days really boosts up my confidence that i can run for longer stretches than i think i can, so when i am outside and i want to stop and walk i just tell myself "no! you can keep going, you have done it before, you can do it again!" also, when i am on the treadmill, i don't let myself stop in the middle of a minute. for example, if i am at 17:35 on the treadmill i make myself run to an even 18:00 minutes. most often i find that the next time i look at the clock i am at 18:04 or something so i have to finish out the minute. it is little mind games like that that keep me pushing longer. i don't know if that would help you are not, but it definitely helps me!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    im not a natual runner, its a real struggle :( i do it most days and find if i run outdoors im better (on a treadmill i'll stop because i can) - try and find a nice circular route and tell yourself you've got to be back for a certain time - that way you cant stop halfway round because you've stilll got to get yourself home and if you stop and walk you'll only take longer to get back! :p works for me :blushing:

I found the exact opposite worked for me to get though my distance bump. I ran strait in a line. in order to get back I had to walk it. After a few times, I started just running back because it took to long to walk.
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I think of my goal body and how I won't get it if I stop running before I finish 5 miles. It's worked pretty well.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    A couple of things that work for me....

Try interval training one or two times a week - Interval workouts for runners can be found anywhere on the internet. Not only are they a great way to burn fast calories and help with stubborn belly fat, they increase speed and endurance. when I was running ALOT ( Just getting over my 6 week lazy hump ) this really helped me out alot.

And my non serious answer is that when I think I cannot go anymore ( or when my mind says I cant ) I imagine someone I love dying if I dont make it to that tree, or around the next lap, etc. Crazy I know....but it works :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm able to run longer distances without stopping when I run with someone else. We motivate each other and I'm less likely to stop unless I really need to because I don't want to let my running partner down.

That said, there is a growing school of thought that you can actually increase your time in races by walking some and running some. I rarely do a run without some walking involved.
  • mkallie
    mkallie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I used to be a non-runner, and I'm still sort of a BAD runner, but I'm up to a 10k finally which I think is pretty decent given that I used to seriously not be able to run more than 2 minutes at a time. :) I used to be more of a sprinter back in grade/middle school and then went to a high school that didn't have sports and sort of lost "it".

I've found that it usually takes me a mile or two to really even feel like I've hit my stride. The hardest part of the run is the first part, and I find myself sort of fighting my body and feeling like I want to quit early on. If you can get through that, then it gets easier. Generally now I find myself stopping when I'm tired or when I've met the goal I've set for myself. It is funny to me though that the later part of the run is the easier part and the early part is the hard part.

I agree with the advice on getting out too -- I can suffer through a treadmill or a track, but it is PAINFUL (especially for longer distances). Having visual stimuli helps keep things fresh and helps take your mind off what your body's doing. For me, the WORST thing I can do is be aware of the time. If I know I'm running to a distance, knowing how far I've gone can be motivating, but for some reason watching the time pass is a killer.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    You have got a great start to build off of! I was a football player in high school, offensive lineman, so my only real background was running sprints...if they even suggested distance runs I would fake being sick (did that once, didn't work!). Anyway, last year I did C25K and that got me to where I am today, ran 12.4 miles last Saturday, running a 1/2 marathon in December.
    As for your blocks, the suggestion to slowing your pace down will help you go longer. Also, maybe moving form indoors to outdoors. For me, I have a hard time running longer distances at a track. Last night I ran 12 laps at our high school track to break in some new shoes and it felt like it took me FOREVER on the hamster wheel of boredom. If I had been on the road, I probably would have gone at least another mile or two. So think about the change of scenery.
    Also, try finding some kind of training program online that will build off of where you are now. Couch to 5K if you want to start small, or even consider the Bridge to 10K if you feel a bit more adventurous. There are probably more out there, those are the only 2 I know off.
    Good luck! This running stuff works, even for those who never were runners, I'm proof positive!
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    BUMPITY BUMP BUMP

The best I have run so far is 1 1/2 miles nonstop in 16:20:04. 16 minutes, 20 seconds and so on. Some days I can run this nonstop and feel great. Other days, it kills me and I have to stop and walk 10 steps in between. Why is it that some days you can run forever and others you can't run hardly any at all? I have been running on and off for 5 years, and it doesn't always seem any easier. Why??? :grumble:
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    I run outside and I run until I get to 2 miles. I'm like you, i just stop just to be stopping. Running around a track will get boring which is why I prefer running outside. Listening to music helps push me. Like I'd say, "I'm gonna stop after the next song" and usually I'm thinking hey I can make it thru another song and so on. Try that.
  • jdub2131
    Options
    I prefer the track over running outside or on a treadmill. I use a college fitness center, so the track is located above the basketball courts...I LOVE the smell of a gym (reminds me of my playing days)! I think that's what gets me going...being able to watch folks hoop below me and literally, the smell of the gym. I also have a slight ego, and when I go to the gym rather than running outside, I run farther because I mentally compete with others on the track (i don't want to be that person that quit after 2 laps lol). That probably sounds crazy, but for me it is a bit of a motivator. Thanks for your suggestions...I know I don't HAVE to be able to run 5 or 6 miles straight ot whatever, but I think it'd be a great accomplishment. Maybe I should sign up for a 5K or something to have a motivating factor of why I want to run farther. Although, it's about to be winter here in good ol' Wisconsin, so I don't think there are too many events left :)
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Running on a treadmill is horrible. I'm actually a lot slower on a treadmill.

And yeah I agree, the first mile or so is the hardest. It's the part where my body is trying to make deals with me to stop. Once I've passed the second mile I'm usually good until mile six or so. That's where my mental block is currently.