Question for runners

Options
2»

Replies

• Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It's ok to take walk breaks and still be a runner... in fact - former olympic medalist Jeff Galloway endorses run/walk programs and his studies show that those who follow it can and often do beat just "run only" people to the finish time. I agree 100% with his advice... I have completed 3 half marathons, several 10k, and just my daily running doing his methods.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I prefer the track over running outside or on a treadmill. I use a college fitness center, so the track is located above the basketball courts...I LOVE the smell of a gym (reminds me of my playing days)! I think that's what gets me going...being able to watch folks hoop below me and literally, the smell of the gym. I also have a slight ego, and when I go to the gym rather than running outside, I run farther because I mentally compete with others on the track (i don't want to be that person that quit after 2 laps lol). That probably sounds crazy, but for me it is a bit of a motivator. Thanks for your suggestions...I know I don't HAVE to be able to run 5 or 6 miles straight ot whatever, but I think it'd be a great accomplishment. Maybe I should sign up for a 5K or something to have a motivating factor of why I want to run farther. Although, it's about to be winter here in good ol' Wisconsin, so I don't think there are too many events left :)

Yes ... sign up for a 5k and do it =)
  • ExtremePHIT
    Options
    it will definitely take time to build up your endurance. I never used to be a runner when I was younger and got into it this year and 2 weeks ago I ran a 12 mile trail race through the woods without stopping. I would suggest you start a good cardio program to get your lungs and heart in shape, that's what worked for me.
  • alair1980
    alair1980 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Take to running outside, then you don't know how far you've gone. Like someone else said running is a mental sport and if your body "expects" a walk break you'll be more likely to take one even if you don't need one.
    You can use a website like mapmyrun.com to map a route so you know the distance.
  • shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I agree that at some point running becomes a mental struggle to keep moving forward. What works for me is upbeat music, telling myself just 5 more mins...and thinking of runners that I admire (main example is Terry Fox -for those fellow Canadians that would know who he is) if he can run accross Canada with one leg and fighting cancer, I can run this!!!!

You can do this!!!!
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have to talk to myself while I run. I couldn't run more than about 2.25 miles straight without stopping and my goal was to run a 5k. So, going into the race I had never run 3.1 miles straight outside (I had done it once on the treadmill), and I just kept saying to myself, "Just keep running, just keep running" (Think Dora from "Finding Nemo"). I also say things like, "If you stop now, you can't say that you did it. You're almost there, and then think about how great it will feel to be able to say you did finished". And it does feel great when you do get through it.

It's all a mental game. If you're not gasping for breath, about to fall over, then it's all in your head. You have to convince yourself to keep your feet moving. It's not easy. I can run a 5k now pretty easily *most* days, and I still have to psych myself up every time just to get through it. I'm about to start training for a 10k that I'm running in December. I know I'll have to think of some new mantras but that's all part of the challenge.

I also agree that walking a little during your run won't mean you're not a runner. I ran my fastest 5k ever with a little 10-15 second walk snuck in there, so... yeah. Don't worry about it too much. You're running for you and not for anyone else.
  • lbigham1
    Options
    I know your struggle! One of the things that really helped me was getting off the track or treadmill and finding a nice park trail. The scenery can really take your mind off the distance. When I first started running at our local lake trail, It was a struggle to make it one mile without stopping. Each time I would push myself a little further. I have now worked myself up to running the entire four mile route and even recently ran my 1st 10K. One very important thing that I had to learn in order to do this was controlled breathing. As long as I'm not gasping for air, I can run on and on. I can't explain how I trained myself to do this (sorry), perhaps another member can give some additional info on breathing techniques. - Hope this helps a little.
  • roadrunner32
    Options
    Go slow and try to find different places to run if available. Also joining a running group helps killing the time easier than being on your own. There's nothing like having a running buddy trust me!
    I'm training for Dublin Marathon at the moment and the longest runs have turned out to be the best of all. It is tough but you have to get rid of words like can't, won't, etc. Stay positive and when your legs get heavy just repeat to yourself I CAN DO THIS!!! And when you do it once the second time becomes child play :)

Good luck!
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    HA! This, this is exactly what I've been dealing with. And, while I know that walk breaks don't mean I'm not a runner, (dang it!) I don't *want* to walk. But, my body sure does. LOL So, I'm just basically bumping this to remember so I can use everyone's advice.
  • Crystel22
    Crystel22 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have never been a runner myself until this year. I started on this website in January of this year and I started on the treadmill. Since it was cold outside I would do 20minute sessions on the treadmill. Then I would gradually move my time to more minutes. When it got warmer, I decided to try it outside and it was harder at first. You have the fresh air out there and getting into your lungs and it was an adjustment for me. Eventually I got it together and I would run 2 miles a day. I did try to do a 4 mille run and to my amazement I accomplished it.

I have recently done a half marahon and surprisingly I ran the whole thing. I never thought I would run the whole thing. I had planned on doing a run walk method, but I was very proud of myself. I hope this helps a little. Good luck on your goals!!