Calorie/macro counting

Options
2»

Answers

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    edited May 6
    Options
    Another vote for a weight loss app. I have an iphone and use Happy Scale free version. When I lost 40 pounds in 2021, many weeks and even months it felt like I wasn't losing, but the trend in the app said otherwise. I use my "moving average" as my official weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Hiiii everyone!! This might be a useless question but while logging should I log ground chia and ground flax that I’m putting in my morning water? I have issues with regularity :/ (sorry too much info) hence using this now to see if will work! Point is lol should I log this I’m not taking the full amount of 2 tbps spoons each since would be 150calories and want to start off small
    Check out the Etekcity nutritional food scale. May reduce you guessing by weighing your portions.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• kngddmbppx
    kngddmbppx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey at least you know how to comment on here. Lol! I don’t know how to reply to people with an @….. so anyway please don’t ever say useless. Nothing you say is useless. We learn by asking questions and sometimes others are glad you asked bc they also want to know but are too embarrassed to ask. Like me with the @….. haha

And thanks Ann. I was waiting to read that no questions are dumb or stupid.

Also with constipation… I understand. I drink a lot of water throughout the day and 4oz of prune juice at the end of my day and it helps me so much.

Good luck! You got this!
  • nadia22f1818
    nadia22f1818 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @kngddmbppx no problem about the @ lol took me a minute to figure how to reply 🙂 and so yes thank you for ur encouragement as well! It helps us when needed … I mean some things are maybe TMI but I took a chance on asking 😊 and I will try the prune juice for sure at this point … I’ll try anything if it works 🤗…. Have. A great week ahead
  • nadia22f1818
    Options
    @kshama2001 first off congraaattsss on that 40pounds weight loss 🥳 and thank you for the recommendation of the app… I will give it a try and thank you as well @ninerbuff i will
    Give it a read on my lunch break 😊 for sure so much diff info depending where we read from, I do weight my food tho but the Calories & macro aren’t always the same depending from which source we take from 😫 i log as much with the green thing as “legit” but it’s not 100% which I guess is normal …
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,440 Member
    Options
    For iOS there's Happy Scale and for android ... another app. (I think Happy Scale also exists for Android). No need to go premium.
  • nadia22f1818
    Options
    @AmunahSki thank you ☺️ I just downloaded the happy scale one after reading this!! Got a free 7 day trial :) Will check it out and I checked out on my iPhone the trend u showed me, it’s insightful since it’s been logging my weight since I’ve been logging manually 🤭
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    For iOS there's Happy Scale and for android ... another app. (I think Happy Scale also exists for Android). No need to go premium.

Many of us use Libra for Android. There are others.

Sounds like OP has an Apple device, but I'm mentioning this in case other readers need it.

I just looked in the Google Play Store. Search there suggests Happy Scale doesn't exist for Android through that mainstream route.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    @AmunahSki thank you ☺️ I just downloaded the happy scale one after reading this!! Got a free 7 day trial :) Will check it out and I checked out on my iPhone the trend u showed me, it’s insightful since it’s been logging my weight since I’ve been logging manually 🤭

Just FYI, I've been happy with the free version of Happy Scale. And MFP.
  • kshama2001
    edited May 7
    Options
    @kshama2001 first off congraaattsss on that 40pounds weight loss 🥳 and thank you for the recommendation of the app… I will give it a try and thank you as well @ninerbuff i will
    Give it a read on my lunch break 😊 for sure so much diff info depending where we read from, I do weight my food tho but the Calories & macro aren’t always the same depending from which source we take from 😫 i log as much with the green thing as “legit” but it’s not 100% which I guess is normal

Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both USER-created entries and ADMIN-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. A green check mark for USER-created entries just means enough people have upvoted the entry - it is not necessarily correct.

To find ADMIN entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP. All ADMIN entries from the USDA will have weights as an option BUT there is a glitch whereby sometimes 1g is the option but the values are actually for 100g. This is pretty easy to spot though, as when added the calories are 100x more than is reasonable.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov

Use the “SR Legacy” tab - that's what MFP used to pull in entries.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was USER entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct. Note: scanning is mostly only available with Premium these days.)