Carb allotment

Options
Hi there -I just started this yesterday - I’m new to tracking macros and am having a heck of a time getting my recommended amount of carbs in to my eating plan - I went over on the protein and fat amounts but seeing as I can’t eat wheat and find that most grains seem to trigger an eating frenzy I stay away from them - any suggestions as what I can eat to bring my daily counts into balance? There aren’t many foods I don’t like .

Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,174 Member
    Options
    The standard macro split on MFP is nothing magical. Being over on protein is not a bad thing, nor is being over on fat intake (unless you're eating a lot of saturated or trans fats).
    If you want to eat fewer carbs and you feel good doing that, it's perfectly fine 🙂 carbs aren't essential, unless you have specific requirements linked to exercise (endurance sports for example).
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I’d also point out that “carbs” are much more than bread/grain type foods. Fruits and vegetables are pretty much all carbs as well, so you can always boost your carbs with some of the more calorific produce items.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,725 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes, winter squash, beans, potatoes, yucca, cassava, some fruit, root vegetables. Peas, corn( is a grain but very filling
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's fine to be over on protein or fats or both, but under on carbs so calories come out OK. The only exception would be if you turn out to be a person whose energy level suffers when eating low carb, and that's far from universal. If it's true for you, you'll figure it out. Somewhat higher odds of needing the carbs if you're an endurance athlete.

Many dairy foods are another non-grain moderate carb source. Not cheese (mostly - some carbs in cottage cheese among others), but things like yogurt (even unsweetened), regular liquid milk, buttermilk. Nonfat or lowfat versions will have more carbs than full-fat versions (because when the fat comes out, the stuff other than fat becomes a higher percent of the finished product).

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,969 Member
    edited May 8
    Options
    That's because MFP follows most conventional guidelines which are carb centric and leans plant based and lower in fat as well. Personally that means 0 to me. Getting adequate quality proteins and fats is essential for good health and filling in the rest with carbs and hopefully mostly from whole foods. Personally my carbs represent a pretty low number, which is contrarian but has done me well as far as health is concerned, everyone is different and trying to fit everyone in the same square whole, so to speak, is always a fail, so do what you feel makes you feel the best and make adjustments as you go along, there is no exact stagnant nirvana to be had, imo.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Hi there -I just started this yesterday - I’m new to tracking macros and am having a heck of a time getting my recommended amount of carbs in to my eating plan - I went over on the protein and fat amounts but seeing as I can’t eat wheat and find that most grains seem to trigger an eating frenzy I stay away from them - any suggestions as what I can eat to bring my daily counts into balance? There aren’t many foods I don’t like .

Don’t worry about carbs as they’re kind of the macro that is not really important in a diet and is more of a personal choice where protein and fat are what you want to monitor closely.

Get in your protein as a priority and then the good fat and at that point you can fill in the remainder of calories with whatever you want be it carbs, fat or protein.

Learn to use amounts in grams rather than percentages

• ecowperthwaite
    ecowperthwaite Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 15
    Options
    At the beginning, you should focus on calories. As you progress, you can start working on getting your macros in shape. Science and practical experience tell us that 50% of your nutrition/diet/weight success comes from having your calories correct. If your goal is weight loss, then having your calories correct means being in a calorie deficit. Eat less calories than your body burns and you will lose weight.

The next 30% of your success comes from food composition. Eating primarily healthy foods, in other words, and good macro balance. This will help you with fat loss, muscle maintenance, and energy during a weight loss phase.

Finally, the ood timing, hydration, and supplements make up the last 20% of your success. Until you are maxing out the Calories and Macros from a success perspective, you won't see much impact from these things. In other words, don't stress about whether you had 6 cups or 8 cups of water today, whether you timed your food right for maximum weight loss, etc. These things are not going to impact you much at all in the early stages of your journey.

This is the Nutrition Pyramid I'm referring to. It was developed by Dr. Mike Israetel at Renaissance Periodization. Among other things, Mike has been a nutrition coach for the US Olympic Camp. He's the real deal, in other words.

Good luck!

xfpjh1336ghu.jpeg