GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 3,899 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Figured out something useful, which I've known at some level but never fully fleshed the idea out in full before.

If my goal is sets of 10 on bench press, and I warm up to where the working set is the heaviest set, I can get it done but it's a grind.

If instead I keep warming up as if I were going to be doing heavy triples, do a single triple and then immediately back the weight down to my set of 10 level, the remaining sets feel like a breeze compared to what I was just lifting.

I heard someone describe doing squats in a similar way but instead of squatting the heavier load, they just stand with it on their back. I've never tried it but it sounds reasonable
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,302 Member
    Options
    That principle applies also to bench pressing, where you unrack a weight heavier than you can actually use and just stay there with arms fully extended, let the weight settle into pushing your arms and shoulders down. Because of the increased chance of injury, I recommend staying right by the resting position (don't step back on squats, don't pull bar away from rack on bench) just in case you have to abandon earlier than planned.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Figured out something useful, which I've known at some level but never fully fleshed the idea out in full before.

If my goal is sets of 10 on bench press, and I warm up to where the working set is the heaviest set, I can get it done but it's a grind.

If instead I keep warming up as if I were going to be doing heavy triples, do a single triple and then immediately back the weight down to my set of 10 level, the remaining sets feel like a breeze compared to what I was just lifting.

I heard someone describe doing squats in a similar way but instead of squatting the heavier load, they just stand with it on their back. I've never tried it but it sounds reasonable

I've done this on my 1rm days. I'll put an extra 45 on each side. Stand up, hold, then put it back. I've also done it with bench. It helps!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Bench is something I both love and feel frustrated with. It takes so long to see any gains.

That said... I've been working to dial in my form and play around with sets and reps and I feel more solid and stable than ever. I know the gains will come (they already have).

I am learning to be patient and consistent, and know that It's not a linear progression. I am realizing that there are so many factors at play (sleep, water, stress, mindset, distractions), but the biggest factor is never giving up. Trusting the process.

It helps to have a great coach and support group, too!
    This is 4x125lb

7hk3qhe1r7xw.gif

I definitely feel you on this! But your bench looks great. Keep it up.

On a work trip this week, which is perfect, since it's definitely going to be a deload week.

I am thinking 3 leg days a week might be too much 😂. My fatigue has been thru the roof these past 4 days
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,157 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Bench is something I both love and feel frustrated with. It takes so long to see any gains.

That said... I've been working to dial in my form and play around with sets and reps and I feel more solid and stable than ever. I know the gains will come (they already have).

I am learning to be patient and consistent, and know that It's not a linear progression. I am realizing that there are so many factors at play (sleep, water, stress, mindset, distractions), but the biggest factor is never giving up. Trusting the process.

It helps to have a great coach and support group, too!
    This is 4x125lb

7hk3qhe1r7xw.gif

I definitely feel you on this! But your bench looks great. Keep it up.

On a work trip this week, which is perfect, since it's definitely going to be a deload week.

I am thinking 3 leg days a week might be too much 😂. My fatigue has been thru the roof these past 4 days

Three leg days would be torture for sure. Good on you for giving that a go brother.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Yikes, legs times three? I get amazed looks from coworkers who hear I do legs twice a week! lol
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Honestly, i only do 3 leg days because all my upper body issues lol. I usually do well with 2. Probably will go back to that soon.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Week 4 of my bench press triplet protocol, where I started doing 10 triples at 60% of 1RM and every week add 5lb. Any week I fail to complete all 10 triples, the following week will have fewer triples to perform. Repeat until I am down to a single triple, then recalculate 1RM and see if it's changed.

Today was at 200, or 68% of 1RM. It was the first time I had to actually put in a little effort to get the job done. Not enough to worry about missing any reps, but I actually felt like I was lifting to gain and not just go through the motions. Still expect at least another month before I begin missing reps, as this is a very slow progression in weight.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    oxuhymnv6qez.gif

@itchmyTwitch i didn’t forget about you 😁
  • itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 3,899 Member
    Options
    oxuhymnv6qez.gif

That is frikken incredible. Thank you 😊
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    oxuhymnv6qez.gif

That is frikken incredible. Thank you 😊

You’re welcome and thank you 🤗
  • nossmf
    Options
    I miss dips, but my elbows got to where they started to hurt during, so I had to give them up.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    I miss dips, but my elbows got to where they started to hurt during, so I had to give them up.

Certainly not an elbow friendly movement. My elbows have to be fully warmed up before this exercise for sure. But I spend 20 to 30 mins warming up every time I workout. I wish I had started making sure I was fully warmed up years ago.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,868 Member
    edited May 8
    Options
    Spin-o-ramas, addicted. :p

1olljrmbcml6.gif
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Spin-o-ramas, addicted. :p

1olljrmbcml6.gif

Love this! Nice to see you post!
  • nossmf
    Options
    Starting week 1 again. Back to 70% of 1rm for squats and deads. Bench is on a different program. 😊

Gawd I'm proud of that leg press, too!

If it makes your smile even bigger, my leg day yesterday I did 4x10x568 on leg press, compared to your 589. You go, girl!

(Of course, now I know I need to increase the weight used next week...lol!)
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Starting week 1 again. Back to 70% of 1rm for squats and deads. Bench is on a different program. 😊

Gawd I'm proud of that leg press, too!

If it makes your smile even bigger, my leg day yesterday I did 4x10x568 on leg press, compared to your 589. You go, girl!

(Of course, now I know I need to increase the weight used next week...lol!)

Well, you did do more sets and reps, so you moved more volume 😉
  • KickassAmazon76
    edited May 10
    Options
    Last night was day 2 of week 1. 70% of 1rm for 4 sets of 8 for deads.

I am so stoked about how my deads are growing. Last night I did 8,8, 14, 12 at 225lb.
    The last cycle I was only able to do 8,8,14,10 at 215. Small wins, but wins nonetheless!

Last night's workout:

Bench: 5x65, 3x95, 1x115, 2x125 (that set felt off), 3x125 (that one was better), 10x105
    Deads: see above
    Leg press: 8x499, 3x8x589
    Leg Extension: 3x8x137.5, 15x100
    Seated Curl: 3x10x125, 20x87.5
    Assisted pullup: 7,7,6 x130, 12x100
    Skull Crusher: 10, 9, 5x50
    DB Hammer curl: 3x8x25s
    Around the world shoulder rehab: 10 a side with 15lb

4c2dekjlxrcj.gif