How can I wake up???

Options
I work 8-3 and try to fit in exercise when I get home between 3:30 and dinner. I also have 2 kids. I know my life would be way more easy if I woke up an hour earlier and worked out in the morning, but every time I set my alarm I turn it off and re-set it for later. My question is for all you early risers...how do you do it??

Replies

• MamaBear57
    MamaBear57 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Just force myself...eventually it got easier. Also built in one snooze alarm so it makes me feel like I got a way with it. :)
  • christinad95
    christinad95 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, it took me a long time of saying I was going to do it , to finally doing it. I just made up my mind (along with some heavy praying) that I was NOT going to shut the alarm off and I was going to do it!!! It just took some time for me to get that determination up. It's different I think for everybody, but for me I knew it would work out better if my evenings were freed up.
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You just have to push through the desire to stay in bed until getting up becomes a habit. Try to have all your workout gear packed/ready so all you have to do is get up and get going. The longer I have to mess around gathering stuff, the more likely I am to put off working out.

One awesome thing that has kept me going with morning workouts, how great I feel all day. It really makes a difference.
  • ABIGgirl
    Options
    Drink a pint of water before bed and you'll "have" to get up in the morning :)
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Drink a pint of water before bed and you'll "have" to get up in the morning :)

put you alram on the other side of the room so you have to get out of bed to turn it off! it does get easier the more you get used to it!
  • bdurls
    bdurls Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    haha I've tried to wake up early too but just can't! My son usually wakes up around 6 so I've tried to get up at 5 and it just doesn't happen. And if I do manage to get up, I usually just end up sitting here instead of exercising! I just really don't feel like it right in the morning. If you figure something out let me know! Good luck!
  • NOELLisLOVE
    Options
    I'm in need of some answers as well!

56 hour work week + Terrible Twos = NO TIME TO WORK OUT (& waking up late EVERY DAY) lol.
    But seriously :happy:
  • jackshortstack
    jackshortstack Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Probably not the most sanitary solution but I brew a cup of coffee the night before and leave it by my bed. When the alarm goes off, I reach for it and even just a few sips of caffeine helps me perk up while I wait for the first snooze alarm.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I would put an alarm clock by the bathroom door. or by the front door if you live on one level. Then either put some workout cloths in the bathroom or have your shoes ready by the front door. You will have to not only get out of bed but, you will be closer to being motivated to at least getting up and starting your day.

Ps still have your regular alarm in the room and maybe set them to go off at the same time.
  • IamEric
    Options
    Mine is going to sound odd...

I hear Rocky Balboa's voice tell me to get up. In the movie "Rocky Balboa", Rocky gets knocked down and he is talking to himself and he says, "It ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward." He then tells himself to get up (off the mat).

I know it's cheesy, but it works for me every single morning.
  • sexyprincess69
    Options
    I awake at 4:40a.m. and get myself together and by 5a.m I am doing the Jillian Micheals Ripped in 30 for 30mins and on the treadmill for 30 mins five days a week. It's difficult but I force myself to workout. I also work from 8:30- 4:30, and I have two kids ages 5 and 4 that I have to get dress and drop off at day care before I leave for work each morning. You gotta to be motivated. Try and push yourself. Don't let the devil take over. He's playing tricks on you. Good luck let me know how you made out tomorrow.:smile:
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    LOLOL! on the pint of water before bedtime!!!

I used to have a coffee pot at the bedside and would turn it on when the alarm went off. Better yet, if you have one that has a timer, woo hoo!!

Have your cup and creamer there waiting.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    My mind was all in the gutter on this one...Just do it. But if you send me your phone number, I will be happy to call you every day at 4:30 when I get up so you can get out of bed. Email it to me at GetYourLazyAssOutOfBedAndGetMoving@wakeupcall.com
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :blushing: I know how I would like to wake up !!!:bigsmile:

oops sorry
  • NOELLisLOVE
    Options
    I awake at 4:40a.m. and get myself together and by 5a.m I am doing the Jillian Micheals Ripped in 30 for 30mins and on the treadmill for 30 mins five days a week. It's difficult but I force myself to workout. I also work from 8:30- 4:30, and I have two kids ages 5 and 4 that I have to get dress and drop off at day care before I leave for work each morning. You gotta to be motivated. Try and push yourself. Don't let the devil take over. He's playing tricks on you. Good luck let me know how you made out tomorrow.:smile:

WOW " You gotta to be motivated. Try and push yourself. Don't let the devil take over. He's playing tricks on you." SO true! Thanks :)
  • dedication227
    Options
    I just started...moved my alarm clock to my dresser across the room! Now I have to get up and turn it off, by that time I am awake :wink:
  • cspinney
    cspinney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person at all but I did the morning workout thing for about 6 months. Basically I had changed jobs so my schedule was different, I was determined to get my workouts in and morning seemed like the best time. I managed to do it because I felt like I had to. It also meant going to bed earlier so I wasn't losing out on sleep.

I think you have to decide that you are just going to do it. No ifs. The alarm will go off and you will get up, even though you don't want to.

That said, after about 6 months I decided it wasn't worth it for me and I found a way to fit my workouts in after work. It was making me cranky to have to get up early. It just didn't work with my natural rhythms. But I'm glad I tried it so I know that I can do it if absolutely necessary, even if it's not the ideal solution for me.
  • Jensey76
    Options
    I sleep in my workout clothes with my running shoes by my bed. So all I have to do is roll out of bed, put the shoes on, throw my hair in a ponytail, grab a slimfast out of the fridge. I drink the slimfast (for a little energy) while I walk for a 5 minute warm up, then I run out and back and pick up the slim fast can that I temporarily left on the curb and walk home for my cool down. I am still half asleep during the first half of the workout. If I had to wrestle into the stupid sports bra in the morning (a workout in and of itself), I would never go! So I dress before bed.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Wow, these are all such great ideas! I suggest then you do this: Brew a cup of coffee before going to bed. Place on your nightstand. Get your pajamas (err workout clothes on) and hop in bed. Oh, don't forget to place your alarm clock across the room, or in another room and put the Slimfast in the fridge. When the alarm clock chimes, begin to say the Rocky Balboa mantra. Let us know how this works for you!

Did I miss anything?
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Just force myself...eventually it got easier. Also built in one snooze alarm so it makes me feel like I got a way with it. :)

THIS.. It gets easier. I pack a gym bag in the evening and put it out in my car, prep the coffee machine so all I need to do is push a button, and lay all my workout clothes out in the other room. I've also directed my husband to give me a little push if my alarm goes off and I don't move (I only punched him once for actually doing it). Been really diligent the last 8 weeks or so, and now most days I'm up before the alarm and I just do it.

Once you get used to being done with your workout for the day by the time you even get to work, you'll love it!