Free yoga reccomendations

Options
Can anyone recommend some free online resources for true beginner yoga? My gym has some yoga, but only hot yoga, and that is an absolute no go for me.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    Yoga with Adrienne is on you-tube. She has some 30 day programs that are good, as well as individual sessions. They aren't true beginner level, IMO, but they will give you a start. You can also google beginner yoga and find others that may be more your speed.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,294 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend some free online resources for true beginner yoga? My gym has some yoga, but only hot yoga, and that is an absolute no go for me.

I encourage you to try and find some extra money and attend a handful of classes with an experienced teacher.

Getting a solid foundation will most likely support you in getting to an ongoing home practice.
  • IsaisaLily
    IsaisaLily Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yoga with Adrienne is on you-tube. She has some 30 day programs that are good, as well as individual sessions. They aren't true beginner level, IMO, but they will give you a start. You can also google beginner yoga and find others that may be more your speed.

She's my favorite, too! She has such a warm and open vibe, it's easy to follow her and listen to her guidance.
  • mebcoll
    mebcoll Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love Yoga with Tim on YouTube. He has some 30 days challenges that are good for beginners. And plenty of other classes.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    Despite your Oiler logo, I will respond 😆.

Back in the 70's there used to be a woman on TV in Canada called Kareen Zebroff who had a yoga show. My mother and I did yoga with her for years! Fast forward a few decades and I agree with the person who suggested that you pay for a handful of classes with an experienced person. Does your local rec centre or Y have some drop in classes at a reasonable price? The person giving the class can give you some individual attention, explaining how and why to do certain poses properly. Then I would find someone on YouTube that you feel comfortable with. I like "Yoga With Adriene", but you may find someone else that you connect with more. The beauty of yoga is that you only go as far as you can on that day and you just keep building on that. There are poses that I've never been able to do, and that's okay.

One of the best things I've ever done was go to a yoga class directly from work. All the noise from the day just fell away and I walked out of the class feeling like a different person. It was amazing. I hope you find something that you enjoy that much.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, my local Y is never reasonably priced. I am gonna have to find somewhere I guess.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,806 Member
    Options
    Some studios do a free first class. Mine does a 2-week unlimited package for $25 for new folks, so they can try hot, unheated, basic, power, yin, relaxation, and sample instructors, too.

Some studios have great deals on unlimited monthly packages. Mine is only $100 a month. My studio also gives discounts to teachers, students, emergency personnel.

Your local studio may have some free classes listed to Facebook.
  • p8m6bwghh9
    p8m6bwghh9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Prime video also has some programs including chair yoga.
  • Jackedeakin
    Jackedeakin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    SaraBeth Yoga is my favourite in YouTube. I find she's the best for explaining and "levelling up" across different videos.