Meal plan

Options
Hello new to the membership part of MFP! But I’m excited to use it to its full potential! I would like some help making a meal plan to reach my goal by the end of July when I go back to my primary dr! If you can help please don’t hesitate to reach out! Please and thank you in advance!!

Replies

• sabukhdair94
    sabukhdair94 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would just start by making a list of what you’d enjoy eating, and work from there.

For example, say your daily goal is 1400 (I’m drawing that number out of the air).

Allot 300 for breakfast, 300 for lunch, maybe 500 for dinner, and 400 for snacks.

What will fit in each category?

If you like eggs cooked a certain way, calculate how many servings you can get cooked the way you like for 300 calories. Can you substitute liquid egg whites for one of the eggs? Or for all of them? Can you find a lower calorie bread for toast? Can you do without creamer in your morning coffee? Substitute cinnamon or a sugar free syrup in lieu of higher calorie sweetener? Margarine for butter? The “Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter” folks make an excellent low cal spread that’s only 35 calories a serving.

Now do the same with remaining meals and snacks.

Like fried rice? I love it but restaurant use a ton of oil in it. I dice chicken breast and sautee it in a dry nonstick pan til browned. I used a frozen vegetable or chicken fried rice I reheat it in the same pan, stir in an egg apiece for me and my husband, and add back the chicken. Then I stir in some cauliflower rice. I might add a small sprinkling of dried edamame for crunch.

We can enjoy a heaping, filling, high protein dish of fried rice for well under 500 calories.

Approach every meal like this. How can you take what you like and supplement and/or improve it?

I still apply this train of thought to every meal I prepare.
    I would just start by making a list of what you’d enjoy eating, and work from there.

For example, say your daily goal is 1400 (I’m drawing that number out of the air).

Allot 300 for breakfast, 300 for lunch, maybe 500 for dinner, and 400 for snacks.

What will fit in each category?

If you like eggs cooked a certain way, calculate how many servings you can get cooked the way you like for 300 calories. Can you substitute liquid egg whites for one of the eggs? Or for all of them? Can you find a lower calorie bread for toast? Can you do without creamer in your morning coffee? Substitute cinnamon or a sugar free syrup in lieu of higher calorie sweetener? Margarine for butter? The “Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter” folks make an excellent low cal spread that’s only 35 calories a serving.

Now do the same with remaining meals and snacks.

Like fried rice? I love it but restaurant use a ton of oil in it. I dice chicken breast and sautee it in a dry nonstick pan til browned. I used a frozen vegetable or chicken fried rice I reheat it in the same pan, stir in an egg apiece for me and my husband, and add back the chicken. Then I stir in some cauliflower rice. I might add a small sprinkling of dried edamame for crunch.

We can enjoy a heaping, filling, high protein dish of fried rice for well under 500 calories.

Approach every meal like this. How can you take what you like and supplement and/or improve it?

I still apply this train of thought to every meal I prepare.

• sabukhdair94
    Options
    Ok lol I know it’s short time but hear me out I started at 228. In January. Today I’m 210. I’m taking an appetite suppressant and a weight loss pill prescribed by my dr and they’re working lol I no longer drink sodas. I no longer eat sweets. My main issue is pasta I love pasta. Oh and rice. And if I do have a craving for chocolate I will eat sugar free or dark chocolate. But my goal is 160. Or to at least be in the 100s. I know it’s doable because I’m going to the gym 4 days a week doing water aerobics and dance class. But thank you for the comment! I really appreciate it!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    edited May 17
    Options
    Ok lol I know it’s short time but hear me out I started at 228. In January. Today I’m 210. I’m taking an appetite suppressant and a weight loss pill prescribed by my dr and they’re working lol I no longer drink sodas. I no longer eat sweets. My main issue is pasta I love pasta. Oh and rice. And if I do have a craving for chocolate I will eat sugar free or dark chocolate. But my goal is 160. Or to at least be in the 100s. I know it’s doable because I’m going to the gym 4 days a week doing water aerobics and dance class. But thank you for the comment! I really appreciate it!

Sounds like you're doing great!

Have you tried any of the higher protein pastas available now? I think some of them are a bit too different from wheat pasta to work as a full substitute, but some of the higher-protein grain-based ones I've had, and the better brands of red lentil pasta, are IMO pretty good. Being higher in protein but similar calories, they will have fewer carbs, if that's helpful to you.

Chickpea "rice" (really chickpea orzo-shape pasta) is also a thing that exists, and similarly is a bit higher protein than regular rice. Some people enjoy cauliflower rice as a rice substitute at lower calories, but I like cauliflower really a lot, so enjoy the flavor better eating my cauliflower in bigger chunks. ;)

ETA P.S.: One brand of red lentil pasta I like is Barilla.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited May 17
    Options

Congrats on your progress so far!

Did I understand correctly that since your goal weight is 160 and you are currently 210 you want to lose 50 pounds by the end of July? That's only 10 weeks away - you'd have to lose 5 pounds per week - not realistic or sustainable.

lj0e9drd6a60.png

Please do chose a more sustainable weekly rate of loss and enjoy those extra calories!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Congrats on your progress so far!

Did I understand correctly that since your goal weight is 160 and you are currently 210 you want to lose 50 pounds by the end of July? That's only 10 weeks away - you'd have to lose 5 pounds per week - not realistic or sustainable.

lj0e9drd6a60.png

Please do chose a more sustainable weekly rate of loss and enjoy those extra calories!

OMG, I didn't put that possibility together.

I hope it's not so.

Five pounds a week would be a 2500 calorie daily deficit. For a lot of women to get that big a deficit, they'd have to eat zero food at all for the whole time period, plus do some extra exercise in addition to eating zero. Yeah, sure, a few have a TDEE as big or bigger than 2500 calories daily, so those few probably get to eat a few calories daily . . . until they'd get light enough and fatigued enough that TDEE dropped below 2500. Yikes.

OP, please tell us you're not trying to lose 50 pounds by the end of July?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,809 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001 beat me to it. That’s my takeaway, too.

Don’t berate yourself if you haven’t reached a particular goal by end July. Instead, congratulate yourself and appreciate iate what it took to create the loss you will have by then.

I started at your weight Sept 2018. After getting a prescription that flat out scared me to take, I asked my doctor to re-do blood test and physical in 90 days to see if I could avoid taking it altogether.

I don’t think anyone was more surprised (other than me!) than her when I showed up 25 pounds lighter, and I don’t think anyone could have been more encouraging to continue.

Every time I’ve come in since then, she makes a point of congratulating me for maintaining, congratulating for for sending my bone density numbers in the other direction, and actually congratulating me for putting weight back on, because she can see it’s muscle. (Muscle being denser, thus heavier than fat.)

If it’s an “I’ll show you!” thing, flip it on its head and make it a “look what I did!” moment next visit.

• sabukhdair94
    Options
    I’m on 2 prescriptions ones an appetite suppressant and ones a weight loss pill and since January I have been losing 5 lbs a month. So I know i can do it I just need to buckle down on my eating. My dr said I can lose 5-10 lbs a month and it be just fine as long as I include working out and healthy eating.
  • sabukhdair94
    Options
    It doesn’t have to be 160 but I want to make it to the 100s by the time I go to my appointment!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,809 Member
    Options
    It doesn’t have to be 160 but I want to make it to the 100s by the time I go to my appointment!
    My money is that you can do it, since you’re motivated and you’ve set a very reasonable goal.

If you’re on suppressants, make sure you’re learning new techniques, skills and changing thought patterns so you can continue and maintain your loss once you’re ready to come off them.

So many people reach goal, throw up their hands, crow “success, baby!” and then go right back to old habits that got them overweight in the first place.

Best advice I ever got here was “treat maintenance like you have ten pounds to lose”. I’ve stuck to that mantra like glue.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I’m on 2 prescriptions ones an appetite suppressant and ones a weight loss pill and since January I have been losing 5 lbs a month. So I know i can do it I just need to buckle down on my eating. My dr said I can lose 5-10 lbs a month and it be just fine as long as I include working out and healthy eating.

That sounds realistic. A common rule of thumb around here is 0.5-1% of current weight per week, as a loss rate. Five pounds a month sounds pretty perfect, in fact.

I'm cheering for your success, betting you accomplish that "in the 100s by the appointment" goal.

• sabukhdair94
    edited May 23
    Options
    z3p5dm2u3d4w.jpegnvwew8nypyc0.jpeg
    Before is gray shirt and after is cheetah sports bra and blue underwear.
    205 this morning! Feeling pretty good! Wasn’t able to make it to the gym this week because I’m dealing with some family issues. But that’s ok. I’m doing what I can. Still watching what I eat! Keep me in your thoughts and prayers (if you do that) lol! I’m still pushing!
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    z3p5dm2u3d4w.jpegnvwew8nypyc0.jpeg
    Before is gray shirt and after is cheetah sports bra and blue underwear.
    205 this morning! Feeling pretty good! Wasn’t able to make it to the gym this week because I’m dealing with some family issues. But that’s ok. I’m doing what I can. Still watching what I eat! Keep me in your thoughts and prayers (if you do that) lol! I’m still pushing!

Girl. Seriously. That's amazing. Keep it up!
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 843 Member
    edited May 25
    Options
    @sabukhdair94 Not to go off topic, but what’s the difference between an appetite suppressant and a weight loss pill? I thought they were the same thing? 🤔

You’re 6 lbs away from the 100’s. Congrats! You’re right there.

5 lbs a month is possible, 5 lbs a week- not so much 😳. Unless you’re that coach on MFP recently lol. Jk
  • kshama2001
    edited May 25
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    @sabukhdair94 Not to go off topic, but what’s the difference between an appetite suppressant and a weight loss pill? I thought they were the same thing? 🤔

You’re 6 lbs away from the 100’s. Congrats! You’re right there.

5 lbs a month is possible, 5 lbs a week- not so much 😳. Unless you’re that coach on MFP recently lol. Jk

Yes, I'd argue that all weight loss pill are appetite suppressants, perhaps by different mechanisms - with some you might have less appetite, with others you might feel fuller faster, etc.

Orlistat/Alli is a possible exception. You might eat less with that due to fear of explosive orange diarrhea 😳

@sabukhdair94 what meds are you taking?
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 843 Member
    edited May 25
    Options
    Yes, I'd argue that all weight loss pill are appetite suppressants, perhaps by different mechanisms - with some you might have less appetite, with others you might feel fuller faster, etc.

Ahhhh, I see. Didn’t know those worked. I know there was a bazaar trend swallowing cotton balls to feel full. And no, not in the 1920’s, it was in 2013! Scary stuff.

Do people still use Alle? I mean that’s gotta have the worst side effect ever.

Whatever you’re using OP, I really hope you have a maintenance plan.
  • vampiregirl955
    vampiregirl955 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been logging what I eat since 2018 and am a long-time user of My Fitness Pal. I advise eating plenty of protein, fruits and veggies but not a lot of whole-grains, as those are carbs, and not a lot of red/processed meat. Good luck!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »

Ahhhh, I see. Didn’t know those worked. I know there was a bazaar trend swallowing cotton balls to feel full. And no, not in the 1920’s, it was in 2013! Scary stuff.

Do people still use Alli? I mean that’s gotta have the worst side effect ever.

Whatever you’re using OP, I really hope you have a maintenance plan.

Yes, my friend was just prescribed Orlistat this year. Not sure if she is still taking it though, and now I'm curious, so I've asked.