When you're sick, what can you do to...

Options
...minimize muscle loss? :(

I had the flu last week and recovered pretty quickly (2.5 days compared to 10 days of my past!). Then I caught another one this week!!! I think I might be losing some muscle mass.

I don't think it's good for me to do serious exercises right now... Fever and all that.

Is there anything I can do besides resting and hydrating?

Replies

• fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, but I think it takes awhile longer than a week to lose muscle mass. Just rest and try not to binge (I'm the worst at that when sick). Feel Better :flowerforyou:
  • missmamselle
    missmamselle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If I'm sick and really want to do something, a slow paced easy walk for about 30 minutes is just right. If I push it, it gets worse and lasts longer.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Haha, I have no appetite when I'm sick like this, so I'm not too worried about overeating! I think my triceps have definitely gotten smaller though :(
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I think it's more important that you get well than worry about the small amount of muscle loss that may be going on. You definitely don't want to exercise while running a fever. Get better soon!
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    When you're sick, concentrate on getting better as quickly as possible so that you can get back to your routine as a healthy person. While it may be frustrating to rest - exercising while you're sick may draw your flu out even longer - and if you exercise in a gym you are also going to be spreading germs.
  • spasticlulu
    Options
    if you are sick just stick to eating healthy, dont worry about the exercise save your strenght for fighting to cold. and gets lots of Vit C!!!