Chips Alternatives

Options
Ok, I must admit I dont have the best lunch, which is chili cheese dip, but I am looking for an alternate to eat with it besides chips?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I would find an alternitive to the chili cheese dip not just the chips.
  • LovahLaura
    Options
    Good topic!!! I'm always wondering this too! What the heck do you bring with a sandwich??? Umm...CHIPS...duh! Hopefully people on here can give you (and me) some good and tasty ideas. :)
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Wedges "baked" in the oven. Like a jacket potato.

Part-boil the jacket potato in a microwave (maybe 4-6 mins, depending on the size) and then cut into "chip/wedges" pieces. Lie . Bit of salt n pepper or I like Cajun Seasoning (made by Schwatz) - then stick in the oven for about 30mins.

They come out a bit like chips - but in their skins (like a jacket potato). Love them!

:)

x
  • Babrao
    Babrao Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Saltine Crackers?
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I LOVE chips. Part of my love for chips, though, is the crunch. So, I bring crunchy veggies, like carrots and cucumber. I also find that they are much more filling!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    a crunchy, raw veggie like carrots, string beans or green pepper

or some fruit.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I second the raw veggies. Carrots, green peppers, cucumbers, possibly cauliflower or broccoli.

You can also make your own tortilla chips by baking cut-up (whole what) tortillas :) Not as healthy as veggies but better than fried chips!
  • Rebjones612
    Options
    Love chips with my sandwiches.....
    I eat the lays light chips only
    75 calories per oz....
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    For dipping, my favorite chip alternative is Wasa crackers. YUM.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I third the raw veggies. I've realized it's not chips I like, but salsa. Great on celery.
  • PEPyle
    Options
    Popchips Barbeque flavor are my favorite! One single serving bag is 100 calories and 3g of fat, 16g carbohydrate, 1g of protein :)
  • daniellesb1
    daniellesb1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Ok, I KNOW this is not at all a healthy option - but I have been bringing 100cals bags of Cape Cod's Kettle Chips 40% reduced fat...
    They are counted out in the bag already adding up to the 100cals.... You get like 15-20 chips. Total fat 4.5g. 13g of carbs. But I have found that when I bring a sandwich, it is just enough to zap that crunchy craving I have.... I figure, eating it once a week wont be bad, and will save my co-workers from the fury of my cravings....
  • daniellesb1
    daniellesb1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Popchips Barbeque flavor are my favorite! One single serving bag is 100 calories and 3g of fat, 16g carbohydrate, 1g of protein :)

Was also going to add the Popchips, but hit reply instead.... LOVE these ! :heart:
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Ah - chips - you meant Crisps (to us UK-ers) - I thought you meant potato fries.

Sorry xx
  • mrpritchett
    mrpritchett Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for something with crunch that also is salty, I would try Quaker Rice Crisps. They are only around 100 calories for 15 crisps. They come in some great flavors too!
  • H_Factor
    Options
    reality: there is no good substitute for chips.

reality: there is nothing nutritious about a chip.

reality: chips are not made for a healthy lifestyle.

reality: if you want a healthy lifestyle, chips are a luxury item that should be consumed on rare occasions.

the hard truth stinks sometimes...but each of us has to decide for ourselves how badly we want to be fitter folks.....

by the way, I love chips and I will eat them if they are around me (esp cape cod kettle cooked chips). so, for me, chips are one of those things I just keep out of my house. out of sight, out of mind.
  • HugznKiki
    HugznKiki Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    hmmm I like this idea of baking tortilla's thanks!!
  • nixickle
    nixickle Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm English so I'm not sure if you mean our equivalent of crisps or fries? If you mean chips like crisps there are quite a few alternatives you could try! Carrots, celery, cucumber and peppers provide a good crunch to add to a dip (but also raw cauliflower, broccoli and sugar snap peas). In the uk you can buy roasted vegetable crisps such as parsnip, carrot and beetroot, these are really yummy and are a good sub for crisps (aka chips in the USA), another great sub is in the baby section (yes really!) you can buy small packs of toddler crisps which are very low in calories and fat. Today I have eaten a pack or organix carrot stix which taste a bit like whatsits (a cheesy puff type of crisp), the whole bag is only 66 calories :-D finally another alternative is to get pitta bread, slice in half to open the bread out, cut into small sections and grill for a few minutes (or place in toaster) until nice and crispy, these could be used alongside the raw veg and really is good! (one pitta is about 145 cals) so if u combine it with the veg you can have quite a bit to dunk in your dip :-D

Hope some of that is helpful
    :-D
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Pretzels are really good, try and get the ones with less or no salt, or tortilla chips and salsa.
    The best thing to bring though would be a salad or some fruit.
  • H_Factor
    Options
    Pretzels are really good, try and get the ones with less or no salt, or tortilla chips and salsa.
    The best thing to bring though would be a salad or some fruit.

what are the nutritious qualities of a pretzel?