Cheat days

Options
Hello everyone, I am new to weight loss and was wondering if I could diet for 1700 calories (according to MFP) for monday-friday and have cheat days on saturday and sunday. Will those 2 days limit my weight and fat loss?

Best Answer

Answers

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    Brisk09 wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I am new to weight loss and was wondering if I could diet for 1700 calories (according to MFP) for monday-friday and have cheat days on saturday and sunday. Will those 2 days limit my weight and fat loss?
    count 7 days worth of calories and divide by 7. If this number is your calorie goal for fatloss then you’re ok. If you still don’t lose then your counting and tracking is off or your target is too high.

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,861 Member
    Options
    Who would you be cheating?

I think you might be thinking that you have to be restrictive and thinking that weight loss and dietary management must mean something akin to dreary punishment.

You deserve to include things you enjoy in your diet. But perhaps in smaller portions or in a version that is lower fat or lower calorie.

Weight loss doesn’t have to mean misery. And maintenance needs to be sustainable.
    Which probably means a shift in mindset.

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    It is very easy on those two day to completely undo what was achieved the other five, at least that is my personal experience.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I think you'd run a strong risk of eliminating your deficit from the previous five days over the weekend. My "cheat day" tends to be a day at maintenance every now and then, but certainly not weekly.
  • kngddmbppx
    kngddmbppx Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I cheat once a week. But cheating for everyone is different. My cheating is eating ice cream, donut, or cheesecake. Something I really like but don’t want to waste calories on other days. It helps me feel like I’m not deprived all week. And I do go over my calories by at least 1000 but I log it and the app tells me how much I’d weigh in 5 weeks if I kept doing that and that gets me right back on track for the next week. Personally I wouldn’t do it 2 days a week. I have been losing doing that once a week.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    You figure weekly calories and divide by 7 to get your average daily amount and that is the number to look at. If your “cheat” keeps that number at your target daily calories then it’s fine. If it puts you over it isn’t fine.

Get away from cheating and include small amounts of those foods in your diet.
  • kathrynrussell2
    kathrynrussell2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend cheat "days" but maybe 2 cheat "meals" a week. try it and see what your weight does, then tweak from there.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend cheat "days" but maybe 2 cheat "meals" a week. try it and see what your weight does, then tweak from there.

Definitely yes. Cheats should be measured in meals, not days.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Replace the word cheat with bank. You banked some calories for a day you’d like to enjoy them. Cheat just feels so negative. Besides, you’re not cheating, you have those calories to spare. Just decide how many you get so you don’t go over your weekly goal.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    or look at your weekly amount instead of your daily one.

you can set MFP up to do that - and then start your week on Monday and log each day - you will know by the weekend how many you have to spare for weekend extras.