How Do You Calculate Your Protein Intake?

Options
protein_calculator
protein_calculator Posts: 1 Member
edited May 23 in Food and Nutrition
Most protein calculators use some form of your weight, activity level, as well as your goal in terms of how you should determine your optimal daily intake.

More advanced calculators will ask you your height, or try to guauge if you are overweight.

The vast majority of them give a pretty high number for the requirement, usually with a minimum of around 100 grams/day.

My question is do you think the average daily protein intake calculations all aim a little to high? Even the RDA seems a little high.

[edited by MFP staff]
Tagged:

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    edited May 23
    Options
    No, but I think people who boost their own protein calculator with what pretends to be a serious post are pretty tacky. Also, the idea that most others give a minimum of 100g is just fabricated nonsense.

The US RDA is pretty much the minimum to avoid undernutrition. It says I need, IIRC, only something like 46 grams. That's sheer nonsense, way out of line with recent research findings for people in my demographic.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    For others who are reading who do not have their own protein calculator:

Here's a reputable one:

https://examine.com/nutrition/protein-intake-calculator/

I shoot for 500 calories of exercise per day, and when I achieve that, using the MFP default of 20% protein aligns with the protein grams recommendation from Examine. If I were completely sedentary, I'd need to bump it up.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,810 Member
    Options
    If you’re not super overweight just shoot for .7 to 1 gram of P per lb of bodyweight. Overweight by quite a bit use your target, leaner weight for the equation.