Digital kitchen scale?

Options
I’m looking for a digital kitchen scale that connects to the MFP app & “health” in my IOS devices.

Answers

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,824 Member
    edited May 23
    Options
    Hi @LorettannYoung Welcome to the boards.

I haven’t seen a kitchen scale that connects to MFP.

How would it know what food it’s weighing to connect and log?

@ninerbuff has been talking about a Bluetooth he got off temu ot somewhere somehow he enters what he’s weighing on the scale itself. . Maybe he can chime in if it syncs? Photos maybe, niner?
  • springlering62
    edited May 23
    Options
    In any event, once you learn that an ounce is 28gr, a tablespoon. Is 14-15, and a teaspoon is 3 gr, life becomes waaaaaay easier on the weighing and logging front.

I actually prefer metric now, especially when baking, because the results are so much more consistent. It gripes my goat now when recipes aren’t available in metric. 🙃
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I can't help with the scale, but here's my response for questions about finding accurate entries in the MFP database:

Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both USER-created entries and ADMIN-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. A green check mark for USER-created entries just means enough people have upvoted the entry - it is not necessarily correct.

To find ADMIN entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP. All ADMIN entries from the USDA will have weights as an option BUT there is a glitch whereby sometimes 1g is the option but the values are actually for 100g. This is pretty easy to spot though, as when added the calories are 100x more than is reasonable.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov

Use the “SR Legacy” tab - that's what MFP used to pull in entries.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was USER entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct. Note: scanning is mostly only available with Premium these days.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Hi @LorettannYoung Welcome to the boards.

I haven’t seen a kitchen scale that connects to MFP.

How would it know what food it’s weighing to connect and log?

@ninerbuff has been talking about a Bluetooth he got off temu ot somewhere somehow he enters what he’s weighing on the scale itself. . Maybe he can chime in if it syncs? Photos maybe, niner?
    Not Temu but Tik Tok. It's Etekcity Food nutrition scale.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,872 Member
    Options
    Etekcity is on Amazon too.

Not sure of benefit of Bluetooth scale.

Wouldn't selecting things on scale menu be harder than on a desktop web browser or phone app is my untested opinion?

I mean how does the scale know if I've put tomatoes or potatoes on it unless I tell it.

And if I tell it, then which entry will it pick on MFP?

And if I have to check the entry on MFP then why bother entering the info on the scale in the first place? 🤷‍♂️

Maybe I'm missing something? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Anyway. Over the past 10 years and while split part of the time over two locations (so two scales) I count over 9 scales of which 4 are still alive. 5 actually as one cheapie Pronto was intentionally murdered to have a look at the insides and compare to a contemporaneously departed Oxo scale

The two Salter scales are nice, glass, 4 feet. Touchy controls. Hard to clean use because of it large space. Oxo is awesome but goes to gram and has 5lb weight limit.

Cheapie Pronto herb and garden v2 I think but new models every day plasticky in many colors and what have you with wink wink extra sensitivity to 0.1g for first wink wink 420g is actually quite useful for seasoning and 12.5g candy and 13.3g of mini chipits and then switches to gram sensitivity and has higher weight capacity than the Oxo.

Not all pronto scales have the variable sensitivity. I've found sensitivity especially for first 2g, time it takes to start and zero, time it takes to stabilize the numbers as you add stuff to be the biggest issues for me. Visibility can usually be arranged by adding a jar to lift items if total capacity is enough

So with both in the house I use the literally 3x to 5x cheaper pronto most of the time

Lit backlight awesome in the dark but turning on light still works for non backlit display!!!!

These are my sad contributions! 😘
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Etekcity is on Amazon too.

Not sure of benefit of Bluetooth scale.

Wouldn't selecting things on scale menu be harder than on a desktop web browser or phone app is my untested opinion?

I mean how does the scale know if I've put tomatoes or potatoes on it unless I tell it.

And if I tell it, then which entry will it pick on MFP?

And if I have to check the entry on MFP then why bother entering the info on the scale in the first place? 🤷‍♂️

Maybe I'm missing something? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Anyway. Over the past 10 years and while split part of the time over two locations (so two scales) I count over 9 scales of which 4 are still alive. 5 actually as one cheapie Pronto was intentionally murdered to have a look at the insides and compare to a contemporaneously departed Oxo scale

The two Salter scales are nice, glass, 4 feet. Touchy controls. Hard to clean use because of it large space. Oxo is awesome but goes to gram and has 5lb weight limit.

Cheapie Pronto herb and garden v2 I think but new models every day plasticky in many colors and what have you with wink wink extra sensitivity to 0.1g for first wink wink 420g is actually quite useful for seasoning and 12.5g candy and 13.3g of mini chipits and then switches to gram sensitivity and has higher weight capacity than the Oxo.

Not all pronto scales have the variable sensitivity. I've found sensitivity especially for first 2g, time it takes to start and zero, time it takes to stabilize the numbers as you add stuff to be the biggest issues for me. Visibility can usually be arranged by adding a jar to lift items if total capacity is enough

So with both in the house I use the literally 3x to 5x cheaper pronto most of the time

Lit backlight awesome in the dark but turning on light still works for non backlit display!!!!

These are my sad contributions! 😘
    When connected to your phone, the bluetooth connects with the scale to give you accurate nutritional info on whatever you put on the scale without having to figure out percentages based on a serving. Say for instance you eat 1/3 of a protein bar. You could divide a whole serving by .33 for the serving, but then you have to divide it into everything else on the label to get nutritional info. And since a lot of entries on MFP may be lacking nutritional info and just give calories, you may have to search.
    If I did it with the scale I use now, I just weigh it and it automatically figures out all the nutritional info for me based on the food or product. I think it's just kinda neat and I only paid $23 for it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• PAV8888
    Options
    Hmmm.... when you get a chance Niner could you give the exact model?

Is it rectangular or round the one you have?

might be worth checking out! Do you know if they export beyond MFP to f.e. CRON?
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    One thing that can make this easier- a lot of portion sizes in the MFP food database have a 1g size option. You can easily weigh whatever you're eating and log your total grams multiplied by the 1g size.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Hmmm.... when you get a chance Niner could you give the exact model?

Is it rectangular or round the one you have?

might be worth checking out! Do you know if they export beyond MFP to f.e. CRON?

https://www.tiktok.com/ug/ads/landing/tts/google/gmc/v1?group_id=1&language=en&region=us&enter_from=TikTok&previous_page=deeplink_ug_retargeting_us_gg_pdp_shopping_ads&deeplink_type=TT&page_name=ug_gmc_landing_page&ad_platform_id=googleadwords_int_lead&af_c_id=21198679568&af_adset_id=&af_keywords=&af_channel=x&placement=&target=&rcmd_pid_size=30&af_prt=baiduglobal&show_spin=0&top_product_ids=1729408268190847371&redirect_url=snssdk1233://ec/pdp?biz_type=1&fullScreen=true&requestParams=%7B%22product_id%22%3A%5B%221729408268190847371%22%5D%7D&visitReportParams=%7B%22chain_key%22%3A%22%22%7D&trackParams=%7B%22enter_from_info%22%3A%22shopmall_out_deeplink.gggmc.link.out_of_app_buy.pdp%22%2C%22entrance_form%22%3A%22out_of_app_goods_card%22%2C%22source_page_type%22%3A%22gggmc.link.out_of_app_buy%22%2C%22product_source%22%3A%225%22%2C%22previous_page%22%3A%22deeplink_ug_retargeting_us_gggmc_pdp_20231207222%22%2C%22track_id%22%3A%221729408268190847371%22%2C%22is_ad%22%3A1%2C%22campaign_id%22%3A%2221198679568%22%2C%22ad_id%22%3A%22%22%2C%22creative_id%22%3A%2221198679568%22%2C%22effect_ad_extra%22%3A%7B%22ad_id%22%3A%22%22%2C%22creative_id%22%3A%2221198679568%22%2C%22value%22%3A%2221198679568%22%7D%2C%22product_id%22%3A%221729408268190847371%22%7D&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2Je4tP2ohgMVYhetBh2L8wn5EAQYASABEgIP7PD_BwE

I've just had to use this to calculate my intake now. I don't believe it links to MFP.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,517 Member
    Options
    I personally would not buy any smart tech from an random company to be honest. What about data protection?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I personally would not buy any smart tech from an random company to be honest. What about data protection?

Years ago when I still had a period I heard about data privacy concerns with period trackers and I thought this was funny. In the US in certain states, this is no longer funny.

However, what's the concern with a smart scale?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    There's no personal data except your email and password to use the app. The app is free.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • springlering62
    Options
    One thing that can make this easier- a lot of portion sizes in the MFP food database have a 1g size option. You can easily weigh whatever you're eating and log your total grams multiplied by the 1g size.

I experimented with the 1 gr setting early on, and found them wildly inaccurate when increasing the quantity of grams.

YMMV but I stopped pretty quick after recognizing there was a problem going that route.
  • PAV8888
    edited May 25
    Options
    I have an etekcity bodyweight scale
    They also do internet of things etc

They literally just changed their privacy policy a few days ago

I use a burner account that I don't have connected automatically to anywhere else.

I can't say I fully went through the policy.

But I have seen the presentation of policies that make it clear that are protecting YOU and your privacy first.... and that's not the impression I got after scanning for a bit before giving up on reading and clicking ok to get the app to open to log my weight to the burner account!

Niner: am I understanding that you basically use their nutrient values and items and the scale then logs macros and calories to either their app or another app it is connected to?

Say I log my food on MFP or Fitbit or crono. And I enter 30g white bread. Do I get a 30g white bread entry on MFP? A macro entry on MFP? Or a 30g bread entry on etek's food log?

Btw the link, sadly, didn't open for me. Possibly because I don't have tiktok account or app.

I see two etek smart scales on Amazon Canada. One round and one rectangular. Very similar price. Are you talking the round or the rectangular?
  • kshama2001
    Options

I experimented with the 1 gr setting early on, and found them wildly inaccurate when increasing the quantity of grams.

YMMV but I stopped pretty quick after recognizing there was a problem going that route.

@springlering62 are you talking about the issue with admin-created entries where there is a listing for 1 gram but the values are actually for 100 grams?
  • springlering62
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

@springlering62 are you talking about the issue with admin-created entries where there is a listing for 1 gram but the values are actually for 100 grams?

On many foods there’s a drop down box where you can choose to log in 1 gram increments, imperial, or 100 grams.

I found that the best way to log a food is in the default increment, which is the one it was originally entered in.

If I change to any other increment, the calorie value starts to unravel and inflates or deflates considerably, particularly trying to, for example, change a 1-ounce default serving to the 1 gram choice and then try to enter it as 56 grams instead of 2 ounces.

Does that make sense?

Conversely, if the default is 100 grams, no issues whatsoever using .56.