question regarding calories

Options
a smarties cookie from sainsburys is stated as 199 calories. they come in a pack of 5, which is equal to 200g. however, the nutritional information for 100g is 443 calories. so say you eat an entire packet, is that 886 calories (2 x 100g) or 995 calories (5 x 199)?

thanks guys

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I personally would go by weight as the number of items that would fit in that weight is usually an estimate. I would suggest actually weighting a cooking as well to see what they actually weigh.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    a smarties cookie from sainsburys is stated as 199 calories. they come in a pack of 5, which is equal to 200g. however, the nutritional information for 100g is 443 calories. so say you eat an entire packet, is that 886 calories (2 x 100g) or 995 calories (5 x 199)?

thanks guys

If 100g is 443 cals then 200g would be 886 cals (which would be the whole pack)
  • jessashcher
    Options
    what I do is look at how many calories are per serving, then see how many servings are per package, say it is 199 calories per serving and there are 5 servings, I would then multiply 199 by 5 and that would give you the total calories for the entire package. Just a little note, someone on here posted a recipe for pumpkin cookies and they only have 15.5 calories per cookie.
  • sprky182
    Options
    I agree that you should weigh the food. I do that with chips because a lot of times the number of chips in the serving is completely different than the number of chips in the stated weight.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    2000074618272338887_rs.jpg

Yeah, If you want to be really accurate just weight each cookie, then go by the per 100g info.
  • edith_t
    edith_t Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    i'll weigh them then, thanks everyone. also to the person with the pumpkin cookies...sometimes you just need the chocolatey goodness of smarties :) but thanks anyway