Obsessed with fitness/nutrition?

Options
My husband thinks I am obsessed with fitness/nutrition. His comments have made me reflect on my approach to this area of my life. The first thing I do at least five days a week is workout. I have to get it over with first thing in the early morning or I know it won't get done. Then on most days I log every calorie that I put in my body. I have found that I have to do this even to maintain my weight. It makes me accountable to myself. Most magazines, TV programs I enjoy have something to do with health and food. I like to squeeze in a yoga class a couple times a week in the evenings. When we are doing family activities I like to be doing something active. When I look at my daily life I don't think I'm obsessed, I think it's a lifestyle that I've committed myself to because apparently it's very important to me. I like to be fit and at a healthy weight. So, my question for all of you is how do you balance a healthy fit lifestyle and still make sure that you are taking care of your families needs?

Replies

• Ebbsies
    Options
    We sound a lot alike. I don't consider myself obsessed, it's a passion and a way of life for me. I'm just so bored sitting around watching TV. I like sharing with people who have common interests and making friends who would rather go hiking/walking in the forest than go out to a movie, I'm a foodie and eat clean, but also like treats, I feed my family healthy (for the most part, we all get baked goods and bacon once in a while. :) I don't see it as a bad thing unless it becomes a regime that you expect everyone to follow all the time, they should have the ability to opt out, just keep up your time doing what you want to do for you, I don't let being a mom govern my ability to choose to make time for myself to feel good, there is a saying I follow, "If momma's not happy, nobody is happy" and it's so true. Keep taking care of yourself, because a happy momma ends up making for a happy family, they don't want a cranky tired, over weight depressed mom who doesn't ever want to do anything do they? Nope. Go you. :)
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    The saying goes :

"Obsessed is just a word used by lazy people to describe the dedicated"

For the most part, I agree.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    The saying goes :

Amen.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I think you are focused. And I think if we want to accomplish things we focus on it.
  • missy5277
    missy5277 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Your routine sounds much like mine and although my husband never complains about it i tend to feel guilty sometimes. I purposely wake up 1.5hrs earlier than everyone else to get my excersize in, if i do it in the evening i feel like im cheating my family, i feel like i could be doing something with them and no they dont want to get out and go excersize! i have very fit teenagers all in afterschool sports and they dont get home until 6p from that and one preteen who is also in softball with the same schedule. I do constantly log all my food into my phone because that seems to take less time, the kids always ask if i am on a diet because they see me weigh things and i tell them no i am just trying to eat healthy and have healthy portions.
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yes my husband also says the same about me. I have been on so many different weightloss plans- and started exercise routines that I have enver stuck to outside of about 5 weeks tops (until now) For me, learning to tell my family (I have 4 children) that "mommy is going to the gym tomorrow morning so I can't take you anwhere until x..." was the hardest thing to learn. But now that I have, I am able to prioritize myself and my habits and turn things around. My family no longer gets upset- instead, my teenage and 11 year old daughter joined the gym (their want) and now we go together when we can.

I think as women- and mothers and wives- we are so used to doing for everyone else around us that we feel selfish doing for ourselves- the thing is- with exercise and healthy eating, it makes us much better mothers, wives, and people.

I think what you are is committed and you have found a way for exercise and health to be a big part of your life- which is a GOOD thing. Stay strong and don't let anyone bring a negative vibe to what you are doing.
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    I love the quote "Obsessed is just a word used by lazy people to describe the dedicated"

I also wake up an 1.5 hours earlier than everyone else so that I can get my running in. When I get back and walk through the door it's time to get everyone ready for school. My husband gives me some flack sometimes but he understands it is a lifestyle change.

He also likes to complain and tell me he wants to workout and do this and that but will have every excuse in the book on why he "can't" go. We have a teenager that is more than capable of watching our littlest kid for 20-30mins (he doesn't run as long as I do) but he makes excuses for that too.

I don't think your obsessed, I think you are committed to your lifestyle. That is all. You have to be to make it work. :drinker:
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Well remember you are going to get very different answers from people logged into a fitness website in the middle of the workday than from the average person. =)

I would say - if you can't workout, do you get angry, irritable, or frustrated? If you gain a pound or two unexplectedly, does it affect your whole day and how you feel about yourself? Do you subconsciously send messages to your children (maybe especially female ones, if you have them), that being in shape makes you a better person, a more valuable person, or more likely to be liked/accepted? If the answer to any of these things is yes, then maybe you are obsessed. If not, then you are fine.

And as for the "lazy people call dedication obsession" quote (paraphrasing sorry)...yes. Sometimes. Other times, if enough people are telling you that you are obsessed, maybe you should take a step back and really evaluate yourself. Maybe you are.

A balanced life is the best life for me.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Working out five days a week and logging calories doesn't really seem to be neglecting your family. Are they fed, clean, and you all spend time together? If so, I'd say you're doing it right.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    The saying goes :

...agree as well. my husband pretty much feels the same way...., but usually doesn't verbalize it. i am making a career out of it. just ignore non-helpful remarks and stick with what you are interested in and passionate about. hopefully he will embrace the fact that you are interested in living a very healthy, well-rounded life.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    The saying goes :

I've heard a similar saying that "a fanatic is someone who is interested in something you aren't."

I feel the same way as the OP about fitness and nutrition now. I spend a ton of time (and money) on it, but I have honestly never felt guilty about it because it's something that I know is good for me, and if it's good for me, then it is ultimately good for the people who care about me, as well.

If you feel that your commitment to it is causing you to neglect other areas of your life (and I have felt this way before also), take a look at things you are doing that aren't really "required" for you to achieve your goals ... in other words, things that may have something to do with your goals but are really secondary. For me, training and conditioning are primary. Shopping for and preparing healthy food are primary. Logging food and exercise is primary. Reading fitness blogs and looking for healthy recipes are secondary. Sure, I need to devote time to those things, but they should never come before family or work or any of the other "big rocks" in my life.

Of course you can always look for ways to include your family in exercise, cooking, etc. They may not take to it, and if they don't, well, you did your best. If they do, try to get involved in some of their interests, as well.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    The saying goes :

I will be putting this in my tool box
  • ashesoh1234
    ashesoh1234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're obsessed. Now, if you're neglecting things in your life -- like not feeding or bathing your kids, missing meetings at work, failing to meet commitments, etc. -- then yeah, you might be a bit obsessed! But that doesn't seem to be the case. You and I sound a lot alike. My husband and I both work and we have three kids, age six and under. Life is busy! I work out first thing in the morning, too. Like you said, if I leave it 'til after work, it's not gonna happen. So I get to the gym no later than 6 am, preferably earlier. My husband gets the kids up and ready in the morning. I track all my food. I do get irritable if I go a couple days straight without working out. I like to do more active things with my family, too, like go on a walk in the park, go to the playground or zoo, etc. That's partly because we live in a climate where winter is long, gray, and very cold. Anyway, you sound all right to me!
  • pepperdine
    pepperdine Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    "a fanatic is someone who is interested in something you aren't."

I completely agree with this. It's easy to call someone obsessed when they are spending time every single day doing something that you don't do, but it's completely unfair.

I think it's also hard for people to accept someone else's healthier lifestyle because it highlights the fact that their lifestyle isn't as healthy and that can be hard to face. I think I used to be like this. I had a friend that worked out 3-4 times a week and tried to eat healthy 80% of the time. My friends and I all thought she was crazy. Why? Because we would rather sit around stuffing our faces while we watched tv.

But deep down I didn't like that she was healthier than me because it made me feel bad about myself. Had absolutely nothing to do with her.

I now work out 6-7 times a week and try to eat healthy 90% of the time and do not at all consider myself obsessed.

Obsession is all relative I guess!!!
  • blueeyedangelar
    blueeyedangelar Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and kids say that same thing to me......I dont really think I am obsessed. I am just deadicated. I love being active.
    I also think my boyfriend is even jeaolus at times, because when I have had a really good workout and my legs are sore I am not in the mood ....lol
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I think it's also hard for people to accept someone else's healthier lifestyle because it highlights the fact that their lifestyle isn't as healthy and that can be hard to face.

This is the battle I have with my family every time I'm around them. My mom understands to a certain degree. She lost a lot of weight a few years ago and though she's gained some of it back, she still hits the gym 3 or 4 times a week and makes healthy food choices most of the time. But the rest of my family (dad, brother, sister, and their respective families) pay no attention whatsoever to their diet or to getting any exercise. So I have gotten used to the jokes they make about me bringing food with me to make my own meals if they're eating something I can't eat (which they usually are) or getting up early to work out while they're all still asleep.

I think part of their problem is not so much that they feel badly about themselves but that they see how much effort I put into it and that reminds them of how hard it is. Everyone is looking for an easy way out, but if you actually stopped and had a conversation with the next really lean, fit-looking adult that you see about their diet and exercise habits, I guarantee it would all sound like a giant pain in the *kitten*. They didn't get that way by accident, and that was one of the first things I learned when I started trying to lose weight. I have so much more respect now for people who are committed to fitness because I understand how much work it takes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,705 Member
    Options
    I would describe being obsessed as looking at everyone else's food calories, checking to make sure their exercise is correct and ensuring they are eating right..........................................and you don't even know them.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I would describe being obsessed as looking at everyone else's food calories, checking to make sure their exercise is correct and ensuring they are eating right..........................................and you don't even know them.

So THIS is my problem. I had no idea. =)
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The saying goes :

that's awful advice ...lol

don't mean to get on you ... but obsessed is a strong word. almost as bad as someone calling you addicted. if more than one person calls you obsessed and they are not joking it is time to check yourself.

of course, you can tell everyone to go to hell ...