Those on the OMAD diet, what is your advice for following it?

Options
I just started OMAD recently but have commonly felt like passing out due to it, I try to eat a piece of small candy to override it but I still feel weak

Answers

• Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 803 Member
    edited June 1
    Options
    Are you in first few days?
    - Reducing food(s) in the first few days when we change our eating approach can 'release water' in the body, kind of dehydration, and may need to drink more water, or add a little salt to food, or have a sports drink for electrolytes (low cal or no sugar)

I have not done OMAD, but have gone thru it when changing to low carb or keto approaches, also known as 'keto flu' (do a search on that).

Other? Insulin resistant or diabetes... a different thing to search for omad or keto.

Or check in with doc if it persists or gets bad.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    There is a group in "Groups" that has a lot of info on OMAD, here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/20634-omad-revolution

I agree though, dizziness is not a good thing. How much are you eating on your one meal? Is it enough? Maybe think about making it a two meal thing? Why are you doing this?
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    OMAD is one of the dumbest diets ever devised
  • slw37
    slw37 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Alex, it does sound like OMAD is not for you. Others have given good advice about trying to cut down slowly and making sure to have sufficient nutrition.

I am another "natural OMAD" person, and I've been eating a single meal a day for decades... before it was "a thing." I never liked breakfast and often don't think about food until later in the day, so I usually eat dinner around 4 or 5 p.m. If I get hungry between times, I will definitely have a snack of some kind. Also, I'm a coffee hound so I will have a few cups during the day, plus plenty of water.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 845 Member
    edited June 3
    Options
    While OMAD can be a restrictive eating approach that may not be suitable for everyone, I have personally found a balanced way to incorporate it into my lifestyle. For me, OMAD is not about weight loss, but rather about aligning my eating habits with my natural preferences. Be aware of the concerns about potential health issues, disordered eating, or bingeing that may arise from strict diets like OMAD, especially without prior experience with intermittent fasting. It's important to approach any dietary regimen mindfully and consider how it fits into your overall well-being.

My experience with OMAD has been positive, since it allows me to concentrate my calorie intake into one satisfying meal without feelings of deprivation or obsessiveness. But, I do caution most people to start slow using IF instead of jumping all in. I think finding a sustainable and personalized approach to nutrition is key to maintaining a healthy relationship with food.
  • ddsb1111
    edited June 3
    Options
    There is a group in "Groups" that has a lot of info on OMAD, here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/20634-omad-revolution

I agree though, dizziness is not a good thing. How much are you eating on your one meal? Is it enough? Maybe think about making it a two meal thing? Why are you doing this?

I gave myself whiplash from exiting that group so fast after reading the bazaar and quite specific rules from one post and his assertion to use apple cider vinegar 😳.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    OMAD is one of the dumbest diets ever devised

explain?
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »

I gave myself whiplash from exiting that group so fast after reading the bazaar and quite specific rules from one post and his assertion to use apple cider vinegar 😳.

OMG I popped over there to see the ACV lore, and read someone who began with a bmi of 20.5 (they mentioned a height and weight. I did the bmi math), and was very clearly saying their goal weight was a weight that would put them in the underweight range.
    And no one was saying anything about that being potentially unhealthy!!!!

Ooof. I might be about to see @tomcustombuilder ‘s point here.
  • ddsb1111
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »

OMG I popped over there to see the ACV lore, and read someone who began with a bmi of 20.5 (they mentioned a height and weight. I did the bmi math), and was very clearly saying their goal weight was a weight that would put them in the underweight range.
    And no one was saying anything about that being potentially unhealthy!!!!

Ooof. I might be about to see @tomcustombuilder ‘s point here.

I tried to say!

2t9dol3i0682.gif
  • cmriverside
    Options
    But if the ACV posts stay in the OMAD group, isn't that a win for everyone? :wink:

The guy who started that OMAD group used to post all over the main forums. I remember some spirited debates with him.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I went and looked...you must have had to dig a little to find anything about ACV, the first few posts/threads seemed pretty reasonably focused on tricks and ideas. :flowerforyou:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,947 Member
    edited June 3
    Options
    For a rebel without a clue who still keeps to certain rules, or should I call them habits (weight and log food, etc), too many rules are a rule too many

There's one rule only: to mindfully modify your Calories within sane, reasonable, appropriate, and health promoting boundaries.

Sure. Things can follow from that.

But they are NOT the goal.

They are just discardable tools that should serve the goal and not become either a goal into themselves, nor a mantra, or a supernatural belief in their inherent result hacking alchemy.

Now choosing good, appropriate, long term usable tools is a GOOD thing. But again, the tools are not the goal.

I prefer to choose tools that can survive either a double or single blind validation. I'm way more sceptical of tools that rely on personal "feelz" as their validation.

I know how i feelz when punch drunk.

And having interacted with a number of drunk, high, schizophrenic, and demented people who believe they are perfectly normal during their interactions, the unsubstantiated fact that something feelz good to someone doesn't mean much to me. Especially the famous unvalidated clarity of thought benefits conferred by magical actions or substances. objective arms length validation? Sure: let's start taking then.

That said I eat mcd vanilla cones as a compromise between the pint of premium gelato my caloric budget can't afford, and the fact that they're just good enough for me to enjoy, especially when part of the summer dollar menu 👍

that's an example of feelz😎😘 by the way.

vanilla cones feelz good so everyone should spend 300Cal on them (mean weight of personal sample of 12 weighed cones last summer was 160g which puts them at 305Cal per NCCDB. Low was 129g and high was 195g)

Happy acv drinking either with mother or without! I'm off for a cone when the sun comes out! 🍦😜
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I prefer to choose tools that can survive either a double or single blind validation. I'm way more sceptical of tools that rely on personal "feelz" as their validation.

I know how i feelz when punch drunk.

And having interacted with a number of drunk, high, schizophrenic, and demented people who believe they are perfectly normal during their interactions, the unsubstantiated fact that something feelz good to someone doesn't mean much to me. Especially the famous unvalidated clarity of thought benefits conferred by magical actions or substances. objective arms length validation? Sure: let's start taking then.

Getting back to OP, they are reporting feeling like they are going to pass out.
    As far as “feelz” goes, that is never a good thing. Although there are some toxic corners of weight-loss communities that would praise such “dedication” to the process.

I completely agree with your comments here.
    “feelz” is not always a good guide for diet choices.

I do hope OP logs back in and sees these comments, and adjusts their diet to something that doesn’t make them feel like passing out.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,947 Member
    Options
    Well @MargaretYakoda I can 100% validate that passing out feelz are not good feelz. You can also end up banging your head and stuff too :wink: