What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,864 Member
    @mjbnj0001
    I had heard that those American deep dish pizza's were descendents of sfinzione, a Sicilian streetfood pizza. I ate a piece at a market one holiday once.
    https://ouritaliantable.com/sfincione-sicilian-pizza/
  • acpgee
    A sfincione recipe with pictures of the crunchy bottom crust I love on focaccia.
    https://www.seriouseats.com/sfincione-sicilian-new-years-pizza-with-bread
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,193 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    @mjbnj0001
    I had heard that those American deep dish pizza's were descendents of sfinzione, a Sicilian streetfood pizza. I ate a piece at a market one holiday once.
    https://ouritaliantable.com/sfincione-sicilian-pizza/

This is a new one to me, thanks. I grew up knowing that "pizza" as we know it didn't come from Italy in our accustomed typical format, but didn't know this. We (in the suburban NYC area of NJ I grew up in, in the 60s and 70s) had "regular" pizza and "Sicilian pizza" (which was a thick bready crust - effectively this sfincione, even to the rectangular shape); the "Serious Eats" article you linked to in your 2nd post makes humorous reference to "Sicilian" type, LOL. "Deep dish" I didn't encounter until I was an adult. Bread, sauce, cheese, and maybe some toppings - "perfect delicious food" - and a contributory reason I needed to seek out MFP, LOL. Since the pandemic, I've made a percentage of our pizza, which is yet another driver to finally get a baking stone. Now that I think of it, maybe cooking pizza is the source of the inspirational hint I encountered about the inverted sheet pan emulating a stone. Could be.

Anyway, "grazie!" and "buon appetito!"
  • acpgee
    Beef rendang from a batch pulled out of the freezer, carrot acar, brown rice, some leftovers from last night's Chinese takeaway.
    zlqhv0hmveel.jpeg
  • mjbnj0001
    Grilled dinner tonight: hot-sweet marinated chicken breast and Italian-style mixed veg, cooked in what I grew up calling "Boy Scout Packets." The vegetables were fingerling potatoes (par-boiled a bit since they take longer than the veg to cook), zucchini, red onion, bell pepper, grape tomatoes, garlic/herbs/seasonings.

While cooking, I was wondering if I'd actually finish before getting rained on, before a literal herd of deer wandered by. At least 15 by my count, including velvet-antlered males and fawns. They are prolific and frequent "guests" in this retirement community we are in. Ah, life adjacent to the NJ Pine Barrens (a large expanse along and inland of the central NJ coast), where the wildlife is not limited to the summer tourists, LOL.

BTW, the veg packets get a few minutes' head start on the direct heat before I put the chicken on.

jru9zjszizqp.jpeg

fie4wqigruhi.jpeg

mgqfbjzp5z9r.jpeg

• Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,405 Member
    edited July 21
    7ii1w331qj1r.jpg
    Pic from 4th

Today, we did another large batch of grilled, hickory smoked carne asada spiced beef and chicken. Put on foil wrapped bakers at start. Ended with apple chicken dogs and large batch blend of sweet onion and bell pepper strips plus first time sliced shirataki mushrooms instead of butyon or crimini. They're a keeper for regular eatings.

Will consider foil packet veggies, and whole fish with cilantro, orange, lemon and sweet onion slices tucked inderneath, inside and over. It's been awhile.
  • mjbnj0001
    Quickie dinner plate for a busy summer Sunday that took over a week to produce. Of course, that is hyperbole, LOL, but ...

Leftover grilled hot-sweet marinaded chicken and side veg as posted yesterday, topped with homemade pickled red onions and perched on a thawed home-baked roll as posted last week. Dessert was plain yogurt with fresh fruit.

13xdnv2w7pl9.jpg
  • acpgee
    Another quickie weeknight meal with a little help from batch cooked stuff in the freezer. Chilli con carne from Thomasina Meier's recipe served aji verde. Salad with halved grapes, blue cheese, and chopped candied pepitos and pine nuts, bulgur.
    71yz8lqo7agc.jpeg
  • mjbnj0001
    Another lite, simple summer dinner ... chopped salad with leftover grilled chicken. Added in a mixture of frozen (microwaved then cooled) peas and corn kernels. Oil, vinegar, mustard vinaigrette dressing. MFP approximates this bowl at 522 cals, 37g protein, 11g fat, 71g carb (of which 16g is fiber and 21g sugar). Room remains in my daily macro numbers for a little yogurt/fruit snack this evening. My wife, who still works, stopped for take-out Japanese tonight on her way home, while I'm content with these similar, simple, fresh meals.

5fye4v3o417m.jpeg
  • mjbnj0001
    @acpgee

Followup on two items:
    1. I was browsing the catalog of the flour/baking company from which I typically source my flours. I noticed they had what they called, "Italian-Style Flour," which differs from "00" and has only 8.5% protein, unlike bread flour, which has higher. "Great for focaccia" they claim. FYI on your pursuit of better focaccia if this is relevant.
    2. They also offer baking stones (for those crisp bottoms). A composite, mineral (cordierite) is about $60, and steel - salvages steel to boot - is well over $200. Directs my interests towards the composite one, LOL.
  • TheRavenspurn
    TheRavenspurn Posts: 7 Member
    jjtcux4eucqw.jpg
    Spaghetti Bolognese.
    Carrot, Celery, Onion fried in Bacon fat and Bacon,
    Pan is deglazed with Beef stock, and Tomato Polpa. simmer for an hour.
    Minced beef poached in Beef stock.
    Onions are browned and caramelised in bacon fat, and the poaching liquid is added.
    This is reduced.
    Combined and served over Spaghetti.
  • mjbnj0001
    jjtcux4eucqw.jpg
    Spaghetti Bolognese.
    Carrot, Celery, Onion fried in Bacon fat and Bacon,
    Pan is deglazed with Beef stock, and Tomato Polpa. simmer for an hour.
    Minced beef poached in Beef stock.
    Onions are browned and caramelised in bacon fat, and the poaching liquid is added.
    This is reduced.
    Combined and served over Spaghetti.

Not an everyday meal for me, but the occ. bolognese is a treat. this one sounds and looks good.
  • mjbnj0001
    A baking stone is easy enough to manufacture.
    We used to replace the wood fired pizza oven tiles every 2-3 months.
    They would crack due to the heat.
    Grab some unglazed (have to be unglazed) 12"x12" quarry tiles
    These are normally available from your local hardware store or free from the local reclamation yard...
    Soak them in salt water for a couple of days,
    Dry them thoroughly, and then rub olive oil onto them to fill the pores.

Bake at minimum 230°C for one hour, (the oil will smoke)

Glazed tile traps the baking moisture and doesn't give that crisp bottom, I think. Worth a shot. We just moved to a retirement community last year, and I'm surrounded by big-box type stores - I'm missing my community hardware store. Would have to search out a tile place. Thanks for the tip.