Help with weight loss

Options
Hi I have been struggling with losing weight, I have tried so many diets, shakes, keto, PT and more and I still gain even in a low cal, would love to hear ideas, diets that work or health changes I can adapt?

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,614 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place.

Don't think about diets. Think about lifestyle changes that you can incorporate from now on. Think about building habits. That's what it takes.

Use the guided set-up tool on MFP to find a good starting place for a daily calorie goal. Don't be too aggressive with your loss goal - no more than 1% of your body weight per week and that's still possibly too fast. Then start logging everything you eat and drink. Don't even worry about hitting your target the first few days - just start logging. Then pay attention. Find out what keeps you feeling full and provides the nutrition your body needs.

Then start trying to hit your calorie goal. Don't try to undercut it - try to hit it. On average if you're within a few percent of your goal at the end of each week, that's a great start. Over time, see if your actual change in weight matches what you would expect from the math (3500 calories is about a pound of fat). Then fine tune your goals and STICK TO IT!
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Stop dieting and implement a permanent eating plan that you can do for life. Nothing else will work.
  • IzzieDizzie93
    IzzieDizzie93 Posts: 17 Member
    edited June 10
    Options
    Change the way you view food, it's a lifestyle change... most of your weightloss can be done just by diet alone.
    For me it was food portions, I decided to cut back on the amount and I also decided personally go back to intermittent fasting (this works for me as I've been used to this since I was a teenager unknowingly! So not eating a meal or 2 a day doesn't bother me)
    I then cut back on things like sweets, cakes (I never liked fizzy drinks so that didn't bother me) cut back on alcohol. Started having more fresh fruits and veg as well as meat (low fat if I'm cutting), eating more clean.

Incorporated more working out which as allowed me to eat a bit more!
    But I did also listen to my body, if I wanted a chocolate bar, I'd have one... not a whole share bar but just a small one. And being consistent with it all. If I had a bad day just get over it and then carry on the next day as if that never happened.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I still gain even in a low cal

If you are being honest every day for a month and tracking every thing you put in your mouth and you don't lose weight (assuming you've chosen a weight loss calorie goal - and that in itself can be tricky) - then see your doctor.

Finding the right calorie goal and sticking to it over TIME is the only way. Keep trying.
  • 71pinto
    71pinto Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I believe It's less about what foods you are/are not eating and more about how you view food. For me, if I think of food as a reward or prize I have a tendency to over indulge. Also, small portions of high calorie foods I like help me combat those over rewarding behaviours.
  • WhenWillIBeThin
    WhenWillIBeThin Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 11
    Options
    It has always been the start with me that was the hardest, ones in a routine it became fun! Take the advise that it is a way of life, that should bring success and make you happy and prevent you from falling back!

I make my start easier or return if I fell of track by eating less yummy things till I appreciate them So veggies and fruit and crackers if I need some. I notice quick and rather effortless weight loss thinner thighs you know like that !

I never scale or look to much in the mirror

I could not walk after Covid learned to walk super overweight and now walk where I had to sit bench after bench

I also felt it did not do much

I could not walk to the gym to swim or sport

But I found a cool stand scooter that wil bring me

And while I won so much already and half my belly is gone

There is progress
    Even when you see non

If you feel that fat go away
    You have to admit to yourself it is happening

And if not yet
    Then soon
    It will
  • wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale for all the food you eat including sauces, oils, dressings. When I started doing this I was quite off from my eyeballing and measuring cup methods.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Hi I have been struggling with losing weight, I have tried so many diets, shakes, keto, PT and more and I still gain even in a low cal, would love to hear ideas, diets that work or health changes I can adapt?

Go here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change-goals-guided or More > Goals in app.
    1. Put in your stats.
    2. normal daily activities refers to your job.
    3. Ignore How many times a week do you plan on exercising? - that does not get included in the equation. Log your exercise separately.
    4. Select a rate of loss in line with the chart:
    9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
    The resulting calories is your daily calorie budget. It's normal to go a little over or under, but since weight loss is already included in these calories, you don't want to intentionally go hundreds of calories under.

Then see: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1