What is your favorite race and why?

Options
I would love to combine my passion for traveling with running races. Looking for 5k, 10k or half marathon to run in 2012.

Thanks

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    From the title, I was SO hoping this would be the question! lol

My friends and I do a 5K each month. We pick one that supports a cause we believe in and want to support.
  • 2dayirun4me
    2dayirun4me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Akron Marathon, Akron Ohio. The energy will suck you in and the hills will consume you, spectators will hand you a free beer and a lady in a wheelchair will cheer you on as you top heart break hill. and in the end Tom Madine the race director will be there at the finish to shake your hand and congratulate you on your completion of the Akron Marthon...oh yea the swag is one of the best.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've done the Chicago Rock'n'Roll Half Marathon the past 2 years and it's a pretty good time. Last year the headliner concert was Brett Michaels... and Chicago is fun in the summer! (it can be a hot race though.)
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    THE HUMAN RACE!!! ***awwwww***

LOL, seriously though, I hate running. Honestly. I am trying, but so far I just DO NOT LIKE. haha...
  • wendibartel
    Options
    Although I have been sidelined from running for awhile. My favorite race is the St. Patricks Day run or Turkey trot here in St. Louis. I like these because the turn out is so great and on the St. Pats day race what more could you ask for at the finish line but green beer.

Not to mention St. Louis in itself is an amazing place to be! Go CARDS!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Well, I am a new runner so I don't have a favorite but if you're interested in coming to Texas, we have the White Rock marathon and the Cowtown marathon - both also have shorter distance races. And you might want to check out the Hot Chocolate race. It's coming to Dallas in February but it's held in a few other cities as well.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Aramco Houston Marathon - great course, usually good weather (wait a few minutes & it will change :laugh: )

Rock & Roll Marathon in Phoenix - great course, great weather

Rock & Roll in San Antonio - great course, great crowd support - my hometown
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    The Fat *kitten* 5k in Springfield, IL is pretty fun. There are donuts, corn dogs, beer, etc. passed out through out the race route (instead of water lol) and then at the end is a street party with smoked pork, all the sides, and beer. It is a chip/timed race in downtown Springfield.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    So far my top 3 are:

Bloomsday (12k) Spokane, WA (the best crowd EVER!)

US Air Force Marathon Fairborn, OH (you can't beat constant fly overs!)

OK City Memorial Marathon (they open every race with 168 seconds of silence for those lost in the bombings, that many people quiet, simply amazing...plus one neighborhood hands out bacon and chocolate)
  • beautybrainsbooty
    beautybrainsbooty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    agreeing with wendiB..the best races ARE in saint louis (October 23) or nevada...huge turnout, tons of corporate support, runners of varied ability and size, motivaton skyrockets afterwards :_)
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    The Marine Corps marathon, known as the people's marathon. The route through DC is amazing, the Marine's lining the first mike, manning the water stops and handing you your medal at the finish line and the patriotic feel of it all makes this an awe inspiring experience that is hard to match!
  • ehedtke
    Options
    Bay to Breakers in San Francisco

Twin Cities 10 Mile
  • speakz82
    Options
    Come to Pittsburgh in May, Top. May 6th to be exact. The hills in the PGH Marathon will give you a challenge, plus you can see your family here. You can look the course and elevation up on www.pittsburghmarathon.com.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Annie that is an excellent idea. Registration is open for May 6, 2012 race and I plan to do a half marathon. Seeing my family and running the race would be really cool. Thanks

BTW keep your schedule open so we can hangout and celebrate!!

• dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    5k races are my favorite becasue I cannot wipe the grin off of my face while running them!

In Chicago, my absolute favorite is the Lawndale Christian Health Center 5k in September. It's my fav because it was my first 5K and it was the first year of this event (about 4 years ago). It was small and I came in 1st in my age group. Now the race has grown and the elites and hardcore runners have shown up, therefore I have no chance of even placing now, but the race has the same feel as a community family event and I'm still smiling. It's still relatively small (around 500 particpants) in comparison to the other popular 5K's in Chgicago which can have as many as 35,000 runners.

I also like the Hot Chocolate 5K and the Shamrock Shuffle 8K (If it's not snowing)
  • KEShikes
    Options
    Not too far from you...The Philadelphia Distance Run (now part of the Rock and Roll series)...the course is along the river - very nice and (bonus) flat.

It's in September.
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    THE HUMAN RACE!!! ***awwwww***

LOL, seriously though, I hate running. Honestly. I am trying, but so far I just DO NOT LIKE. haha...

i love the quote at the bottom of thepage....(its fromthe BIBLE=)...)
  • miami_mimi
    miami_mimi Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    From the title, I was SO hoping this would be the question! lol

My friends and I do a 5K each month. We pick one that supports a cause we believe in and want to support.

My friends and I just started the same pattern, we done two 5K's so far :) it's great!!! we have the Breast Cancer Race for the Cure on 10/15/11. Also we are doing the ING half marathon in Miami in January 2012. heard it's great :) and we are doing the 5K warrior's dash in December in Delray Beach, FL
  • miami_mimi
    miami_mimi Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    The Marine Corps marathon, known as the people's marathon. The route through DC is amazing, the Marine's lining the first mike, manning the water stops and handing you your medal at the finish line and the patriotic feel of it all makes this an awe inspiring experience that is hard to match!

my hubby is a Marine, this sounds like fun. Also they are having a Veteran's Day 11k on 11.11.11 down here in Miami for the first time... we're gonna give it try also :)
  • NABrightEyes
    Options
    HOH. handsonhouserace.org - it allows me to have a great time and give back for a local charitable cause. And of course the Hot Choc Race.... http://www.hotchocolate15k.com/