Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Video recording.........okay or not?

Options

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    I won't lift in your recording studio, you don't record in my gym. Case closed
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options
    I just wish my gym would bar video recording in the locker room.
    Yeah that’s definitely not on. It’s one thing to record a lift to check technique, it’s another to film in a private changing space.

I once asked a couple of teenagers taking selfies in the mirror (so potentially catching unaware people changing on the other side of the room) and they stared at me like I was speaking some language they did not know.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options
    I remember when I used to do photography it was fine to photograph people in public areas,only.. but we were supposed to have them sign a release form if we were to sell it or make any money from it. I guess this isn't a thing anymore?🥲

So, as I understand it, this isn't necessarily a crime, but a person could file a civil lawsuit if their face is recognizable and the video is profitable.

Yes, releases for people who get filmed in public for commercials is still "a thing." Watch a show like "What Would You Do?" on ABC, where they stage ethical conundrums and film people's behavior, and you'll occasionally see people with blurred faces because they didn't sign a release.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 845 Member
    edited May 9
    Options
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    Revolu7 wrote: »
    Personally I hate it so much. But, if they have it angled towards themselves and are respectful I guess I don’t actually care. I do see some people online demonstrating things that I get tips from. But when I see it in person, I don’t love it. So maybe that makes me a hypocrite. Then of course you have people like Joey Swoll who expose the worst of them. Including people doing some HIGHLY nasty things to the machines for their Only Fans etc. IDK, if I were king of the world, I’d either ban it or create a gym that caters to it. Probably way too niche but maybe in the right location.

I agree with everything you just said

❤️

Just curious, what are you doing in your profile pic? Mine is of Mona Lisa holding my cat. He’s kind of boujie so I had to have it made.

Obviously a private business can decide, but I’m a strong no. I won’t go to that gym if they do. This is the stuff that slips through the cracks and now we have people taking lobsters on planes as support animals. It’s a slippery slope.
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,186 Member
    edited May 9
    Options
    @ddsb1111

Mfp won’t let me “reply” right now. In my pic? I’m just laying. And taking a selfie. Definitely not as fancy as a cat Mona Lisa that you had made.

(Edit: I think it was me and not mfp this time. I actually forgot how to quote 😂)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    Personally I hate it so much. But, if they have it angled towards themselves and are respectful I guess I don’t actually care. I do see some people online demonstrating things that I get tips from. But when I see it in person, I don’t love it. So maybe that makes me a hypocrite. Then of course you have people like Joey Swoll who expose the worst of them. Including people doing some HIGHLY nasty things to the machines for their Only Fans etc. IDK, if I were king of the world, I’d either ban it or create a gym that caters to it. Probably way too niche but maybe in the right location.

❤️

Just curious, what are you doing in your profile pic? Mine is of Mona Lisa holding my cat. He’s kind of boujie so I had to have it made.

Obviously a private business can decide, but I’m a strong no. I won’t go to that gym if they do. This is the stuff that slips through the cracks and now we have people taking lobsters on planes as support animals. It’s a slippery slope.
    Da *kitten*?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

❤️

Da *kitten*?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Don’t worry about lobsters on planes as emotional support animals.
    (They are allowed as food)
    If such a thing ever actually happened it was very likely a stunt.

Airlines have really tightened up their rules after much abuse of the system.
    Most airlines won’t allow any emotional support animals except dogs now. And they have to have all the proper paperwork in order. Any other animal must fly as a pet, and follow all the rules that apply to every other pet on the plane.
  • ddsb1111
    edited May 10
    Options
    @ddsb1111

Mfp won’t let me “reply” right now. In my pic? I’m just laying. And taking a selfie. Definitely not as fancy as a cat Mona Lisa that you had made.

(Edit: I think it was me and not mfp this time. I actually forgot how to quote 😂)

Okay, I’m dumb. Forget I asked 🤦🏼‍♀️ Lol. Super pretty btw!

Thanks, it’s above my fireplace, we’re very proud 😂.
  • ddsb1111
    Options

❤️

Da *kitten*?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

And it was wearing sunglasses. Maybe it was a crab? I don’t even know.
  • ddsb1111
    Options

❤️

Da *kitten*?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Most airlines won’t allow any emotional support animals except dogs now. And they have to have all the proper paperwork in order. Any other animal must fly as a pet, and follow all the rules that apply to every other pet on the plane.

It had to be right! I didn’t look at how old it was, but it seemed current.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options

❤️

Da *kitten*?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I don’t want to hijack this discussion. But it was a huge issue within the disability community a few years back.

Some people were being inconsiderate kittens, as humans occasionally are capable of being. Others were farming for YouTube rage content. Basically ruined a good thing for the few people who actually do have well behaved well controlled emotional support animals that weren’t dogs. Most often autistic and/or people with PTSD.

• MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,186 Member
    Options
    @ddsb1111

Okay, I’m dumb. Forget I asked 🤦🏼‍♀️ Lol. Super pretty btw!

Thanks, it’s above my fireplace, we’re very proud 😂.

😂that’s great you’ve found a prominent place for it.

And thank you!☺️
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options

❤️

Da *kitten*?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I don’t want to hijack this discussion. But it was a huge issue within the disability community a few years back.

Some people were being inconsiderate kittens, as humans occasionally are capable of being. Others were farming for YouTube rage content. Basically ruined a good thing for the few people who actually do have well behaved well controlled emotional support animals that weren’t dogs. Most often autistic and/or people with PTSD.
    Talk about video content, there are many YOUTUBERS out there who are FINALLY getting jailed or dumped because of content. The two I'm glad are getting their just desserts are Johnny Somali (for stunts in Japan and Israel) and Jack Doherty (who is getting sued for his bodyguard punching out an innocent bystander who was holding a friend back after Jack instigated a fight)

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    A big controversy nowadays in the gym is the use of phones recording individuals workouts. While there are some great influencers in the industry that do a great job on instruction, there are so many "influencers" out there focusing on their own workouts, but doing things like commenting on other members, being angry that someone stepped in front of their recordings, and taking up space they don't need to so that others won't be in their recordings.
    IMO, we are in such a "ME" society now, that so many clips and recordings don't really focus on the actual correct form and execution of exercise, but just what the individual does just because they might have a nice physique.
    While I'm okay with recording IF the person isn't causing a ruckus and IF they are considerate to others who may ask not to be in the background, I've had to actual ask members to leave because they didn't want to follow some of those rules. Places like LA Fitness and now possible 24 hour have strictly banned any recordings at all and most gyms will likely follow suit. In our gym already, we don't allow crocks or slippers to workout in.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IMO if someone has to label themselves as an "influencer" they're not worth the powder to blow them to h#ll. Also if, by chance, they have some good information, they're not going on the cheap and recording in a public gym.
  • yvonnevs
    yvonnevs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    A big controversy nowadays in the gym is the use of phones recording individuals workouts. While there are some great influencers in the industry that do a great job on instruction, there are so many "influencers" out there focusing on their own workouts, but doing things like commenting on other members, being angry that someone stepped in front of their recordings, and taking up space they don't need to so that others won't be in their recordings.
    IMO, we are in such a "ME" society now, that so many clips and recordings don't really focus on the actual correct form and execution of exercise, but just what the individual does just because they might have a nice physique.
    While I'm okay with recording IF the person isn't causing a ruckus and IF they are considerate to others who may ask not to be in the background, I've had to actual ask members to leave because they didn't want to follow some of those rules. Places like LA Fitness and now possible 24 hour have strictly banned any recordings at all and most gyms will likely follow suit. In our gym already, we don't allow crocks or slippers to workout in.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The videoing itself doesn't bother me, it's whether or not they're being respectful of other gymgoers while filming. Which often they are not (though there are many that are). I say live and let live, it's a public space, be respectful while doing your thing.

except it's not a public space. The sidewalk is a public space.
    You have no way of knowing everyones consent in the background of your video, what if that person has a stalker or an abusive ex, they now know where they workout, great.
    I've only ever filmed in a gym, actually, I asked someone to film my form on a lift to send to a trainer, no one else in the gym, no one in the background, no sticking my *kitten* out of clicks :smiley:
    I'd be happy to see filming banned in gyms because once again, a few spoil it for everyone because they have no sense of respect for others
  • beatrizguiselle
    beatrizguiselle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Im ok with banning it completely.
  • earlybirdlady
    earlybirdlady Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I haven’t gone to the gym in years because of bad experiences so I already have a bias and I own it. I’m sure some gyms are great environments or have good management who monitors these things, but just seeing someone holding their phone a certain way so it looks like they’re recording (even if they’re not) is enough to make me feel uncomfortable and leave that area. I realize my response to this topic is probably biased because of my past experiences, but the whole idea makes me uncomfortable.

I do like the ideas of having certain gym areas or hours where people can record if they are doing so for productive purposes.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    yvonnevs wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The videoing itself doesn't bother me, it's whether or not they're being respectful of other gymgoers while filming. Which often they are not (though there are many that are). I say live and let live, it's a public space, be respectful while doing your thing.

You have no way of knowing everyones consent in the background of your video, what if that person has a stalker or an abusive ex, they now know where they workout, great.
    I've only ever filmed in a gym, actually, I asked someone to film my form on a lift to send to a trainer, no one else in the gym, no one in the background, no sticking my *kitten* out of clicks :smiley:
    I'd be happy to see filming banned in gyms because once again, a few spoil it for everyone because they have no sense of respect for others

With facial recognition technology, this is actually a thing.

Ever watched the Discovery show about the Real Time Crime centers? Mind boggling.

Wasn’t there a big worry a while back about people being able to identify random people they’d taken a shine to and track them down using similar tech?
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    yvonnevs wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

With facial recognition technology, this is actually a thing.

Ever watched the Discovery show about the Real Time Crime centers? Mind boggling.

Wasn’t there a big worry a while back about people being able to identify random people they’d taken a shine to and track them down using similar tech?

That can already be done using Google image search. Search their picture in Google images, and if their picture is in a public social media, you can often find them.