How can someone who use a walker get more exercise

Options
I need some ideas from people who have limited use of there body to get moving more. I use a walker, have nerves pain Thu my back and neck and shoulders. Any ideas to get more movement back into weight loss plan

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    Any movement we can do increases calorie expenditure. It needn't be fancy or extreme in order to have benefits.

Is there any possibility that your doctor would refer you for physical therapy? Physical therapists can often recommend exercises that are safe and helpful within the limitations we may have.

I've not been a walker user, and what you might be able to do of course varies depending on specifics. There are YouTube videos for chair yoga and wheelchair exercise, the latter at every intensity from gentle to workouts aimed at wheelchair athletes. Some people with limited mobility can do water exercise, if there's an accessible pool available somewhere locally. Some gyms or physical therapy practices have arm bikes. I don't know whether any of that would be realistic for you, or not.

This group is only lightly active, but you might be able to get some ideas/support there:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/141248-disability-chronic-illness-fitness-and-weight-management-we-are-here-we-can-do-this

More movement does burn extra calories, but weight loss is possible entirely on the eating side of things, if moving more isn't a realistic option just yet.

Wishing you a path to success!

• DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    My gym (on a college campus) has lots of Silver Sneakers activities, including a workout class where everyone sits in chairs and a water aerobics class, as @AnnPT77 mentioned. I don't think Seniors have to pay for a gym membership, either, so maybe look in your area to see if local gyms offer something similar.
    And even if you aren't a Sr. citizen, the Silver Sneakers crowd is very friendly and welcomed me when I was pregnant and joined their water aerobics class for a few months.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I have limited ability to walk. I use a recumbent elliptical for exercise.

Please join the group linked above. That’s a good place for more in depth discussion with people who understand.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I have therabands and I sit in my recliner and just play with them.
    I bought a pilates ring at 5 below for $5. It had instructions for several exercises included.
    I bought a balance board from 5 below. My PT said to put it near a chair back, hold on for balance, rock slowly forward and back just a little, then side to side. Small slow movements.
  • capricorn2721
    capricorn2721 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My husband uses a walker and is able to exercise comfortably using a recumbent elliptical bike. It is much easier on his back than a regular exercise bike. I would also recommend chair yoga and other chair exercises. There is a site called Grow Young Fitness which I would also recommend ... many chair exercises and chair yoga routines. They have excellent customer support and can address questions you may have via email.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    My husband uses a walker and is able to exercise comfortably using a recumbent elliptical bike. It is much easier on his back than a regular exercise bike. I would also recommend chair yoga and other chair exercises. There is a site called Grow Young Fitness which I would also recommend ... many chair exercises and chair yoga routines. They have excellent customer support and can address questions you may have via email.

Wow. Great recommendation for that chair exercise program! I peeked at their website and (imho) at a quick glance they seem pretty solid. They do sell vitamins and exercise bands, but unlike other fitness influencers, they don’t appear to be soaking desperate people for every last dime they have. The bar is low in fitness influencer world, but so few can get over it.

I searched YouTube and found their channel. There’s some videos there if someone wants to check them out.

https://youtube.com/@growyoungfitness?si=FCsKj5IGVqaordRd

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,539 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a physiotherapist? Maybe they can work with you on increasing your ability to be active and find workouts you can do.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited June 14
    Options
    See if a local hospital has an associated gym or rehab gym.

The large regional hospital a couple miles from me has a gym that started as a heart rehab gym, later opened to hospital employees, and then ultimately to the general public. It is an excellent facility, with a large pool, several session rooms, full weight room, tons of treadmills and the like, and several squash/pickleball courts, but few people know it even exists.

They offer all kinds of rehab classes, chair classes, several levels of water aerobics, chair yoga, and personal trainers with a specialty in older or limited mobility clients. They also offer massages, and have a staff dietician.

They even have a “Care Cab” that offers free rides to people who can’t walk from the parking deck to the gym.

We jokingly call it the Cocoon Gym, but it is far and away the nicest facility in our major metro area that nobody knows about.