What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    Gai yang drumsticks, pork loin using the same marinade, nam jim jaew dipping sauce, carrots caramelized with cola, bok choi stir fried with oyster sauce, bulgur.
    xdfscjh61ajn.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    The latest focaccia. Skipped the overnight cold prove because i started it in the afternoon.
    2axahtiz6xr6.jpeg

• janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    xwuaih3r0o4m.jpeg
    Batch cooked some eggs to help with breakfast. It’s eggs, feta, spinach, s/p/garlic. Turned out better than expected.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Cullen skink followed by air fryer cheese souffle and green salad. The souffle was cooked in a vessel that was too large, so it didn't have that dramatic presentation of rising over the baking dish. It was nonetheless fluffy and delish.
    qz89l0upgft1.jpeg
    8plx9vntvxc7.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Still loving that crockery @Veta2018.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 12
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    acpgee wrote: »
    In the spirit of @Adventurista I make homemade stock due to thriftiness. I permanently have 3 ziplocks in the freezer for poultry bones, fish carcasses and shells of crustaceans, vegetable peels. My tip is not to forget to save stock ingredients from store bought food such as rotisserie chicken, a bucket of KFC, or a takeaway seafood boil. My household doesn’t eat enough bone in beef to have a beef bone bag.

@acpgee @Adventurista

you're more industious than I. I am thinking I should harvest and use for stock all my veg waste from salads.

yes @mjbnj0001 ~ i do that too except onion skins. Also use or freeze to use any liquids from cooking veggies. I did use regular recipes when I was learning to make broths/stocks, now I just kitchen sink what I have - and I often 'pre-spice' with a variety of seasonings. My fav base is to use pan drippings & things that had been smoked on a bbq - And after it cools, to skim off any fats on top, pick out the non-edibles. scoop & freeze the clear broth on top, then stick blend the rest of the veggies & broth from the bottom which makes a nice bodied/complex base for soups and stews. Although rustic, I figure that retains some of the nutrition and fiber that we otherwise would be throwing out with the bones.

lrq7ogl9i8h9.jpg
    i was inspired by Julia Child who came to take up learning & cooking later in life... I try to try.... sometimes it works, sometimes it flops.

Next adventure - @acpgee - will be to try making focaccia bread... hoping to check out flour today on the way home, if there's enough time after my meetings. This discussion really does inspire! Thank you all for the shares :)

pco7bqp3rija.jpg
    last night for dinner - cauliflower steaks on the grill (spritzed a bit of olive oil and spiced. drooling now! glad we have leftovers!)
  • acpgee
    Options
    I have been watching some cooking competitions on TV and was inspired to attempt something a bit fancy tonight. Salmon mi cuit cooked at 43C sous vide, salmon skins crisped in the air fryer, aji verde we had lying around the fridge, a chunky SE Asian style salad, smashed new potatoes, roast carrots.
    lekquw5ryttw.jpeg

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Cullen skink followed by air fryer cheese souffle and green salad. ...

@acpgee I had to chuckle ... here in the US, "skink" is a little lizard. I looked at your dish's photo, then did a little googling to see what it was. Scottish fish stew or soup. No little reptile parts floating around, LOL.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    @acpgee et al,

Our ever-present robot overwatch noticed I had typed into one or more apps, "focaccia," and now my Youtube feed is full of focaccia-related offerings. I thought you might find this one interesting. My initial breadmaking efforts 5+ yrs ago were based on one or another "no knead" method, high-hydration doughs. That's essentially this video's approach. "Chef John" actually has a lot of good recipes and techniques to offer; he's a San Fran-based professional chef/cooking educator, and you'll note he has a unique verbal presentation style.

https://youtu.be/zgvzvEYHlyk

• mjbnj0001
    Options

@acpgee @Adventurista

you're more industious than I. I am thinking I should harvest and use for stock all my veg waste from salads.

yes @mjbnj0001 ~ i do that too except onion skins. Also use or freeze to use any liquids from cooking veggies. I did use regular recipes when I was learning to make broths/stocks, now I just kitchen sink what I have - and I often 'pre-spice' with a variety of seasonings. My fav base is to use pan drippings & things that had been smoked on a bbq - And after it cools, to skim off any fats on top, pick out the non-edibles. scoop & freeze the clear broth on top, then stick blend the rest of the veggies & broth from the bottom which makes a nice bodied/complex base for soups and stews. Although rustic, I figure that retains some of the nutrition and fiber that we otherwise would be throwing out with the bones. ...

sounds good, thanks. literally, "food for thought."
  • acpgee
    Options
    Thanks @mjbnj0001. I promised to do a focaccia on the weekend and will try your recipe. I have ordered strong bread flour arriving today so will try that out for the first time too. I have been using regular all purpose flour up to now.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    Thanks @mjbnj0001. I promised to do a focaccia on the weekend and will try your recipe. I have ordered strong bread flour arriving today so will try that out for the first time too. I have been using regular all purpose flour up to now.

Good luck! Most of the flour I use, we call in the US, just "bread flour." The brand I normally use is unbleached, and has a protein content of 12.7%, which would be "strong" in UK parlance. My usual whole wheat flour has 13.2%. I have successfully made (but not recently) both focaccia and fougasse using methods similar to this video, which I why I shared it to you after your previous "looking for simpler" posting.
  • Adventurista
    edited June 13
    Options
    went to buy flour.... oops, no money. still want to try the focaccia... so far, I have learned to spell it!!! :D

vfjz8diqbqer.jpg
    tortillas toasted - they get a bit curly fun. toppers salsa, shred cheese, guac
  • acpgee
    Options

Good luck! Most of the flour I use, we call in the US, just "bread flour." The brand I normally use is unbleached, and has a protein content of 12.7%, which would be "strong" in UK parlance. My usual whole wheat flour has 13.2%. I have successfully made (but not recently) both focaccia and fougasse using methods similar to this video, which I why I shared it to you after your previous "looking for simpler" posting.

Your recipe is actually very similar to the one I use. Mine mixes together the dough ingredients waits 30 minutes then stretches every 30 minutes for the next two hours. Followed by a slow prove overnight in the fridge or a quick prove at room temperature for 30 minutes. Then one last stretch and put in the well oiled baking tray, rested for one or two hours before dimpling and baking.

Your recipe mixes together ingredients, rests at room temperature overnight, and then goes through three stretches once per hour. After placing in baking tray it rests for two hours before dimpling and baking.

So I am not sure it is less time consuming but at least your recipe doesn't require re-organizing the contents of the fridge to fit in a big bowl of dough. One thing I plan to change with your recipe is the use of tin foil and plastic wrap. Just use a sheetpan to cover the dough between stretches.

• acpgee
    Options
    Potato gnocchi with roast tomato sauce. I made the gnocchi a few weekends ago as a mourning ritual when I was notified that a grad school buddy who I used to cook Italian with has terminal cancer. There is still some of that stuff in the freezer. Secondo of saltambucco with green salad.
    6b3qcuq2kvbf.jpeg
    qklxzm8r3c7h.jpeg

• Adventurista
    Options
    @acpgee , lovely remembrance.

gptebme3285p.jpg
    Added my meatloaf to sausage veggie/potato soup.
  • IsaisaLily
    IsaisaLily Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've gotten into chia pudding for my first breakfast lately